O/T?? Searching Forum Threads.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:12
ThreadID: 54576 Views:1791 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

As the post title suggests, I’m looking for feedback on whether members and visitors are happy with the Explor Oz forum search function. It would appear that there are times when the search function doesn’t quite bring home the required information, specific to the search being conducted. People then throw their hands in the air and post their question on the forum, from there it seems to go down hill as the replies of “do a search (that’s the polite reply) to get the information you seek” come from members and other site visitors.

Maybe the search function needs a little bit of tweaking, this is taking into account some of the “Guess this place” replies where the absolutely precise number of (spaces, capitals, under scores etc, etc,) did not precisely match the correct answer.
It did create more than a little angst as well.

Further to this,

In post 54571, Ross W asked about a “portaboat” which may have not returned very much useful material, it is spelt “Porta_bote” Signman, very helpfully, suggested doing a search.

In post 54567, Jred was asking about post guidelines, he received a response from Footloose on a possible addition to the site of a “maybe there should be a screen that pops up before one posts that says, "Search the %^&**#$% archives first!" Hmm, very polite!

The icing on the cake however, is post 54544 by Roachie (long time forumite) who asked about a recent post on gas fittings. It was strange that he had been through the archives and back pages and didn’t find what he was looking for. Even stranger was the fact that he didn’t receive a plethora of “”Mmmmmaaaaatttttteeeeeeeeee do a search Roachie, mate do a search, ya WOMBAT!
Not at all, he received a very simple reply from Col & Jan
Is it this one?
ThreadID: 54365
Col

Yet it’s something that we don’t seem to want to extend to our visitors when they ask.

As a precursor to this, I have contacted David to let him know what I am doing, I much prefer contacting the web person directly – when I notice …. Or think there is a problem with their website.

It was Jred’s post that started me thinking along these lines and I thank you for reading this far and I (we…. David et al) look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Regards,
Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Edward G (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 19:06

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 19:06
How bout this?

When its a new thread and a person hits submit, the search engine finds the top 5 posts that have the highest probability of being on the same topic as the content trying to be submitted.

So a pre-post key-word list is used to search archived posts, prior to submit approval. But only on the initial post, not subsequent.

If the member still wants to post it, ok, they can. Wallah!
AnswerID: 287495

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:20

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:20
Hi Edward,
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm not sure (OK ...I have no idea) if it can be done, it's a start though.

Regards,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 552816

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 19:33

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 19:33
Wayne

If you are looking for something special then insert "Wayne 60" or whatever you are looking for say "Socks", and that should take you to exactly what you want.

Cheers
AnswerID: 287500

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:25

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:25
G'day Willem,
Thanks for taking time to reply.

Maybe it's the way/s I've been searching lately that haven't netted the results I thought I should've. Hence the reason for my post.

Regards,
Wayne
FollowupID: 552817

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:11

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:11
Wayne, great comment/suggestion.

Willem , agreed as well.

BUT what about the first time /seldom user? (Not everyone is on the site all the time ) they post a question, be it asked bleep loads before or not, they get belted with
CHECK THE FAR CAN ARCIVES.

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287509

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid- Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:38

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:38
Well bugger me, Wayne, that is just what you said. sorry bout that. It is thirst day you know.

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 552774

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:28

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:28
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your comments and follow up.

Quote "It is thirst day you know."

I do, and I'll drink to that too.

Regards,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 552818

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:55

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 20:55
Well I was TRYING to be polite as usual. :))))))
AnswerID: 287522

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:30

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:30
G'day Footy,

Still running for G.G?

Need to keep in touch with the common man....%^&**#$% should do it. LOL ;-)

Regards,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 552820

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:57

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:57
Hey I'd even take a pay freeze. In fact, if I had to reside in Canberra I think most things would be frozen :((

:)
FollowupID: 552843

Sponsored Links