HF aerial mounting close to UHF aerial

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:31
ThreadID: 54594 Views:3366 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently had installed a Codan NGT with autotune aerial. I mounted this aerial on the rear of my 4wd Prado.
I want to explore the idea of mounting my UHF aerial in the same location on the rear also.
Has anyone done this and is there any concerns as far as interference between the HF and the UHF signals.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:39

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:39
Without being too perdandic - try to position them about 600mm (2 feet) apart..

AnswerID: 287617

Follow Up By: Member - Jason S (SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:49

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:49
Agree with you Signman. They are different frequencies but the Codan throws out a bit of juice and could 'cloud' the uhf.

FollowupID: 552880

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:00

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:00
Hi Jason
Not necessarily the output power of the HF radio..
Rule of thumb (without being too anal) is about 1/4 wavelength of the highest frequency- in this case the UHF...about 600mm
FollowupID: 552885

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:03

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:03
If you check out these website links below I'm sure you will find the answers

T iStore

Mobile One Antenna Info

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287618

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:18

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:18
johnjdh
Reading the Mobile one recomendations of Do's and Don'ts I see they crontradict themselves, at the top it reads

If you put any antenna on a bullbar you should consider a spring to absorb the vibration.

Do's and Don'ts I see
DON'T Use a spring even if mounted on a bullbar - It may damage your radio
The spring is important to absorb the vibration from the engine but will make the antenna out of phase greatly reducing the performance

I guess they don't know what Corrugation is.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287619

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:26

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:26
Your other issue will be the performance of the UHF. It is line of sight, and an aerial mounted on the spare tyre will have trouble transmitting forward through the mass of the vehicle. Similar issue to bullbar mounts, but worse with rear mount. Roof is always best, and I noticed the good radio shops have some excellent brackets that mount to the rail on vehicles like the 120 and 100series. I personally use a stubbie aerial on the roof - works well in all directions, and is indestructable.

HF doesn't have this issue, because the signal bounces off the ionosphere.
AnswerID: 287620

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:12

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:12
couldnt recomend an ariel there. The gutters cop far too much of a hiding the rhinno racks didnt even survive this trip as you can see the rear one is gone and the front is shunted at an angle. A gutter mounted ariel would have had no hope
FollowupID: 552979

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:33

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:33
"A gutter mounted ariel would have had no hope"

Davoe,
We're talking 100 and 120series which don't have gutters. they have a roofrail which is inboard.

But as far as gutters go, it all depends on what you use and how you mount them:
#1 The $12 rubber stubbies we use are indestructable.Mine has lived on 4 vehicles over 9 years, and mine cop a flogging, same as yours.
#2 I also have a swing down gutter mount. They cost $60 and are worth every cent.

#3 Mine also sits behind the snorkel:

FollowupID: 552995

Reply By: Tony MD - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:46

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:46
Hi John. As others have said, put some distance between the antennas - as much as possible.
The UHF will have little effect on the HF but the HF antenna will appear as a big obstruction to the UHF.
As far as mounting location & performance is concerned, you may find my results interesting but not surprising.
In my Landcruiser I have 2 Electrophone TX4000 UHF radios. One is connected to a ground independent 1/4 wave on the bull bar (also have a 1/2 wave). The other is connected via a diplexer to a home brew 1.5 metre helical - 5/8th UHF whip. (Also run a TX835 - the diplexer allows two different frequency radios to use a single dual band antenna.)
Performance is chalk & cheese with the bull bar whip significantly better by many "S" points than the 5/8th whip that is hidden between the spare wheel, high lift jack & the back of the car. There is some loss (about 0.4db) in the diplexer.
Both radios provide similar performance when connected into the same antenna. The dual band antenna works much better on UHF when located on the bullbar.
As the rear mount antenna / radio is only a back up & used for scanning for nearby people, the reduced performance is not a problem. I was looking for maximum separation between the 2 UHF antennas. There is a mob in N.S.W that sells a UHF antenna that sticks on to glass & is very low in visibility - this may be a better option.
Cheers, Tony.
AnswerID: 287623

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:35

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:35
I have the base mounted on the roof-line (gutter) but use a 1/4 wave stubby antenna which is better for areas where obstacles such as buildings and hilly terrain are present.

Then out in flatter countryside I change over to a stainless steel antenna of 6db gain and about 800mm long, which is more suited to longer distances where fewer obstacles are present.

This aerial mounted on the roof performs as good, or better, than a 2.1m AE4706 "white curtain rod" mounted on the bullbar.

This leaves me with a practical spot to mount the sand flag when required. (on the bullbar)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287702

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:37

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:37
I agree with Sand Man. I use the stubbie aerial 99% of the time because it works so well on the roof. Nothing worse than to be in a group where the back of the convoy can't hear the front because the front vehicle has a bullbar mounted aerial.
FollowupID: 552998

Sponsored Links