Which winch - Magnum vs Turfor?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:28
ThreadID: 54599 Views:6290 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
In hand winch land - has anyone used a magnum??? They are a lot cheaper than the Turfor, but the turfor is highly recommended. The Magnum, I think, are a relatively new winch on the market. Does anyone know of any problems with them? Are they reliable??????? Should I pay the extra money for a known/reliable/proven product??? Yeah, I know, only I can make these decisions - but would appreciate any comments/advise. Many thanks, as usual, for all the great help I've received on this site.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:47

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:47
The Tirfor does have a good reputation but is at the top end of the price scale.

Don't know about the Magnum, but in a comparison of hand winches in one of the 4WD magazines I have, the Big Haul was given the highest rating. This is also a fair bit cheaper than the Tirfor and had the fastest retrieve rate.

TJM Megastores sell both the Big Haul and the Tirfor (at least they did when I last checked) so you can compare them side by side and dollar for dollar.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287662

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 20:49

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 20:49
I asked a similar question at a three letter 4x4 store, and was told that the Turfor case is a pressed metal case that can withstand a lot of dropping, bashing around in ute beds or trailers, typical army misuse and bad handling, wheras the Magnum etc. have cast metal cases than can crack and fracture if dropped, rendering the winch unusable.
Thier claim is the cheaper ones are fine if you look after them.
The answer sounded fine to me, so I walked out and bought a second hand Tirfur for $200.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 287683

Reply By: greggu - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:10

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:10
i have a magnum which i have rarely used to date as also have a bull bar mounted TJM electric winch - carry the magnum in a plywood / pine box specially made to fit around it so have have no real probs with it to date but is bloody hard work to use for any distance - only use it to pull the patrol out backwards a short distance if cant get out frontways with electric winch - bought it as good value for money emergency winch - but if you intend to use the hand winch a lot then go with a tirfor
see you greg

copy of owners guide available if you need it for info
AnswerID: 287691

Follow Up By: Member - loris G (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 00:45

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 00:45
Do you use a pulley set up with the winch? ie is it hard work with or without a pulley?
FollowupID: 552976

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:51

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:51
Loris,
I'll back up greg's comment. We've used a snatch block on the couple of occasions that we've played with or used the Tirfor. It is very hard work. Once we used it to drag a vehicle up out of a gully and needed 3 blokes on the handle. But it gets the job done.

And I'd be looking for a second-hand Tirfor - plenty of unused ones around.
FollowupID: 553002

Follow Up By: greggu - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:20

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:20
sorry but still hard work with a snatch block but it helps
see you greg
FollowupID: 553050

Reply By: Skinnydog - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:26

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:26
Another option is a come-along.I have a 3 ton unit, it only has 1.5m of chain so you do need to rerig it a few times depending on how far you need to go but I find it easier to use than my old hand winch as you don't have to lug 20-30m of steel wire and it doesn't take up as much room.
AnswerID: 287751

Sponsored Links