BBQ opinion?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:34
ThreadID: 54600 Views:5686 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Would love to hear what people think re this BBQ.

NEW!!Companion "TOUR" Portable Barbeque.

* Easy clean non-stick cooking surface
* Half flat, half griddle cooking plate
* Easy care powder coated body
* Folding legs for easy storage
* Lightweight
* Temperature control with 3 heat settings
* Push-button piezo ignition
* Includes carry bag
* Uses COMP3961 Propane Fuel cartridge (sold separately)
* Approx. 2.5 hours cooking time from one COMP3961 propane fuel cartridge
*Weighs 5kg
Plate size 500 x 290 mm

It is available at KMart for $55 but I'm a bit worried about needed Propane Gas to run it. Will that be hard to get in outback areas? And is it expensive to buy?

Have also thought to buy a "regular" 3 legged round BBQ but worry because it is quite heavy, as is the gas bottle. Can we easily use the gas bottles connected to the caravan or do we need to have a separate one for the BBQ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Leanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:43

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:43
Do a search. Recent thread suggests these units are prone to exploding... ;-((
AnswerID: 287633

Reply By: Andrea11 - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:03

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:03
Hi Leanne,

We have a little gasmate BBQ that runs on the stock standard gas it is light weight and non stick with Pizo ignition it also has the collapsable legs with a lid. We have found this unit to be very very handy......I got it from Harvey Norman over a year ago for around $120.00.

Andrea
AnswerID: 287636

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:05

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:05
We use the 3-legged type. Picked it up at a garage sale for $2. Packed in a hesian bag, it fits nicely in the spare tyre case on the roofrack. Run it off a 2kg bottle and it seems to last for ages (as in many trips)..
It's ain't heavy. Just the pressed tin 'base'- 3 hollow legs- alloy cook plate and the gas ring !!!
AnswerID: 287637

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 07:54

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 07:54
Just check the hose connection at regular intervals, ay Dave.
FollowupID: 552991

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:11

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:11
The propane bottles freeze when it is cold and do not work.
We have an OZ BBQ that is around $80 at most camping stores and other retailors . It uses a stalk connection that fits most 3/8th left hand gas bottles and has clip on legs for stability. Works a treat and is easy to carry.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 287640

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:12

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:12
G' Day Leanne, we have the three legged variety which connects to standard type gas cylinders & we carry a separate cylinder for it.
I am not up to speed with gas cylinder thread sizes, but usually the connections on the van cylinders are about 20 mm whilst the fittings on the BBQ hose are much smaller.

We love our barbies & just in case the barbie cylinder runs out we have an adaptor that allows us to connect to the van cylinder. These adaptors are available from any gas appliance service centre.

I've noticed that many of the newer vans have bayonet connections which allow you to connect the barbie to the van supply. It would be easy to modify your set up if you wanted to go that way.

Many happy & burnt bangers. Cheers.
AnswerID: 287652

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 19:03

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 19:03
Hi Leanne,

The BBQ looks OK to me. Companion is a good brand name and they make some great products.

Although the BBQ runs on a fuel cartridge, my guess is it will also run from a normal gas bottle (of any size) via an adapter hose, much like the Coleman cookers do. The salespeople should be able to confirm this.

Perhaps one thing to think about is the need for extra space when taking a BBQ camping. This may suit many people but others find they just don't have the extra space.

Another alternative is to have something like a two burner Coleman cooker and a BBQ plate accessory that sits on top.
With this combination you have the one product that serves multi-purposes.

Just some food for thought.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287666

Reply By: Smudger - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:15

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:15
We've been using a propane cooker for years with no probs. When the temp gets down, the gas canisters do freeze and the flame goes low, but that's only in fairly cold weather. First time it happened to us after a decade, was last July in the Flinders Ranges when it got down to minus 9 two nites in a row.
When we take the CT there's a 2 burner LPG cooker on board. But mostly we use those compressed sawdust logs you buy in BigW and have a proper campfire, with our simple fold out barby. Got a tripod for the billy, and after cookng there's coals for us to gaze into while we sink a bottle of red before hittting the swag.
In fact the only times we really want to use the gas is when we pause for cuppa during the day, under the awning when it's raining, or on the odd occassion that there's fire bans.
AnswerID: 287720

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:04

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:04
Leanne
Have a look at this.

Gasemate Hot Aussie BBQ

5th item down the list.

Lightweight, easy to assemble and effective.
Colin.
AnswerID: 287727

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 15:43

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 15:43
Great BBQ Colin. We've had one for almost 3 years and it gets heaps of use. The carry box is still in good conditiion. Heaps of people have seen ours, and then gone and bought their own.

When it eventually dies, we'll buy another the same I suspect.

Norm C
FollowupID: 553077

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:22
I had the 4th one down, but took it back ..... food would have cooked quicker if you just put it in the sun!
FollowupID: 553118

Sponsored Links