Where can I buy a Bedourie oven

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:09
ThreadID: 54626 Views:3638 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have tried Anaconda but they no longer stock them.

Need the 10" model and prefer Gold Coast or Brisbane area .

Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geriatricgypsy - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:20

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:20
i know Rays Tent City in victoria have them but not sure what size though.....Geri
AnswerID: 287777

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:35
They are available everywhere in SA probably because they are made here.
Try This Site
AnswerID: 287778

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 14:36

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 14:36
You can get a nice one at R.M.Williams shops . Probably show it on their website .
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 287782

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:24

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:24
Thanks for the hints.

Will let you know how I get on.

Pedro
AnswerID: 287840

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 02:11

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 02:11
Peter R ........
Try your local Disposals stores, they frequently have a good range of camp ovens, including the Bedourie ...... I have one [ see Rig Pic } and it's magic !!!
FollowupID: 553159

Reply By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:58

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:58
Rays Outdoors have Bedourie.
Bought a Bedourie 1 yr ago and much prefer to cast iron. Holds heat better and bakes better bread with consistency of steel density.
AnswerID: 287906

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 15:02

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 15:02
Peter,

Maybe not what you are after but, I would recommend you look at the Hillbilly oven.

I have a Bedourie as well, but it now spends all of its time in the shed since experiencing the Hillbilly.

The Hillybilly has a much more practical lid which holds the coals better and doubles as a useful frypan.

There are a heap of other accessories you can add if required, or buy the whole kit in one. The "Bush King" is the bigger of the two sized ovens and is the one I have. The vegetable ring is also worthwhile. The handle is removable and can be used to lift the lid separately from the oven.

It is made from spun steel, like the bedourie but is better.

Would not like you to buy the Bedourie without at least looking at, or knowing about the Hillbilly oven.

Hillbilly Camping Gear

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 287948

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 22:09

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 22:09
Thanks for all the advice, and suggestions.

Thanks also to Crazy Dog who sent me a pm to say he could bring one down from Rays in Cairns.

With the help of Noddy I got one from Anaconda at Slack's Creek.

Now all i need to do is learn to drive it.

Noddy said he uses his in his Cobb and I will do the same for a start.

The Hillbilly range look good , and there are a few accessories worth looking at.

Pedro

AnswerID: 288056

Reply By: meandet - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:32

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:32
G'day Pedro
Greatest thing since...I have 3 now, 2 of which are 10" I got mine from Rays. It will take you a little while to learn to drive it. Being thin steel not cast iron, they heat up quickly and cool down just as quickly. To cook roasts, chicken, beef or lamb, we just sit it near the fire until you can hear it spitting and rotate it 90 degrees often. I use the hooks on tent long pegs to rotate it and some welding gloves to pick it up or look under the lid. Don't put too many coals on the lid as this heat is transferred quickly and you can burn whats in there. I just use tongs to place 3 or 4 coals there and change them often.
Cooking bread and cakes is a different matter. Your temperature and technique have to be just right. The bedourie has to be surrounded by coals just the right distance away but not touching it. Again, not too many coals on the lid. If you can smell bread burning, it is burning so rake some coals away and or take some off the lid. When you get used to it, you will be able to cook the most magnificent bread. It is great fun to then share it (show off) with other campers near by.Well worth the effort, good luck.
Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 288585

Sponsored Links