Trip computers

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 20:29
ThreadID: 5466 Views:2472 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Our other car is a sedan which I use on business trips. Most sedans have this simple trip computer which measures your fuel consumption, and gives you an approximate range. I have found the forecasted range to be fairly accurate.
Such a comp would be extremely useful when going bush. Many forum questions are wrt fuel consumption and range in different conditions. It would be very beneficial to be able to confirm your calculated consumption during the trip, and may even save you from an embarrasing situation if you can have forewarning that your heavily laden vehicle in loose sand is using more fuel than expected.
Can one obtain such a device as an aftermarket fitting?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 20:46
Hi Chris, i bought a Zemco 28 computer over 20 years ago for my new Statesman. I believe you can still get them, The company who imported them was in North Sydney , shouldn't be hard to find. They were accurate then so now should be even better, Michael

P.S. Were made in USA.
AnswerID: 22590

Follow Up By: joc45 - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 00:03

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 00:03
I rang Zemco (same mob make the K-Mart Lite-On cruise control, as I recall) a few years ago about fitting their computer to my (then) GQ patrol diesel. Apparently was no good for diesels as it can't monitor the fuel returning to the tank; ie needed two flow meters, and only came with one.
Not sure what the current setup with them is.

But there was a company in the east making a computer kit which did calculate fuel flow in both the delivery and return lines, only thing is I've mislaid the info. The kit was posted in an electronics mag about 3 years ago (Silicon Chip?). If I can find out, I'll post the info (I'm now interested in getting one myself for the diesel GU). Seem to recall the price was towards the $300 mark with both flow meters.
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 14930

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 00:17

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 00:17
OK, a bit more info;
The article was published in the March and April 2000 editions of Silicon Chip magazine, the device was called Oztrip Car Computer.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/
They have back issues available.

Also published in Nuts and Bolts magazine (US), Dec 2000
http://www.nutsvolts.com/toc_Pages/dec00toc.htm

The designer was a Robert Priestly, and he sold the kit from his company (Australian), but have't been able to track that down yet (Google search doesn't come up with anything).

The kit described was very comprehensive, but only had one fuel flow sensor, but when I enquired back then, they had an advanced model which had two flow sensors to calculate the actual fuel consumed when there was a fuel return line. And more expensive.

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the original copies of Silicon Chip mag, which had the contact details of Mr Priestly.
If I find anything else, I'll post it here
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 15003

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:16

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:16
Found it!!!
http://www.oztechnics.com.au
This company makes a couple of different models.
Good luck.
Gerry
FollowupID: 15005

Reply By: BurnieM - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:42

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:42
As a rule of thumb (compared to 2WD on seal) my car (in 4WD low) uses twice as much fuel on dirt (per mile) and 3 times as much on sand.

Note this is day trips not dirt road touring.
For dirt road touring I try to use 2WD as much as possible for fuel economy
AnswerID: 22635

Sponsored Links