Running 2 waeco 40lt fridges

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 20:53
ThreadID: 54678 Views:4762 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can you run 2 waeco fridge/freezers off on one aux battery set up at the same time.I am only fairly new to 4wd driving but would like to run one fridge as a freezer and one only as a fridge in the back of my 4wd until i arrive at a campsite.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:08

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:08
Yes you can but you will need a serious deepcycle battery and some serious cabling. Also, depending on the current draw I doubt you could find a cig socket rated for that application, maybe an anderson plug would fit you requirements.

How the aux battery is setup in relation to the alternator is also an issue, you don't want to be sucking the life out of the cranker.
AnswerID: 288019

Reply By: Pete and Lez - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:37
What size fridges? Many people run 80 or110lt fridge which draws more current than two 40, 50, or 60lt fridges. Shouldn't have any trouble with narva socket, but as said, anderson plug and socket probably better, small 50 amp one. hard wiring into vehicle is best but not always practicle.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 288038

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:42

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:42
Hi Kev

As the others have said it would depend on battery size and cables.

We would need to know the battery size and type and also your alternator type and size. I would also like to know what type of isolator you have fitted.

Just as a guide you would need around 50 to 60 amps per day for those two 40L fridges. You would need to drive for at least 2 hours a day assuming you have a 100 a/h AGM as the aux.

More info please.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 288043

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:47

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:47
Yes you can, but depends how long you want to run them off the battery for ??

You say you want to run them in the back of the 4x4 until you get to a campsite???? What do you want to run them off then ???? If its the aux, then thats fine, but you need to know how long you can get out of the aux batt ??
AnswerID: 288046

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 23:25

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 23:25
Kevin.......I run two weaco's, a 50 and a 60....one a fridge and one a freezer all the time in my Troopy....I have two cranking batteries...n77's I think......seperated by a single solenoid which I manually switch in after start up and which automatically drops out when you turn the engine off....to date and it has been several years now....NO PROBLEMS.......if I stay in one place for two or three days or more... I find I have to run the engine for 30 mins in the morning and 1 hour at just before sunset to keep the voltage up....this is because I run other stuff as well at night ie lights etc...it uses very little diesel to do this and my main cranking battery is never touched or used for power, only the auxillary or second battery..I have had the batteries for about four years now and they are still going o.k....however I want to change them over soon as they are probably due to expire...they will probably cost me about $150 each thereabouts to swap over
AnswerID: 288069

Reply By: Member - Derek L (QLD) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:27

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:27
Kevin buy 1 Engel/ABR 60 ltr fridge not one with so called freezer in it, buy 1 of those Wollies cold food bags or some type of a wine cooler bag. Crank up the temp control on the fridge put the things you want to keep frozen straight in the fridge and the things you dont want frozen put them in your cooler bag then put it in the fridge. Turns the fridge into a freezer, cooler bag stop things in it freezing.

Also like everyone else is saying buy a desent deep cycle battery wire your fridge up to it with decent sized wiring 6-8mm is the ticket and use good connections (get a solding iron and heat shrink) and try and make all ya plug mounts strong so they don't vabrate and burn up. Plastic fridges are good to store canned food in.

Hope this helps

Derek L
AnswerID: 288090

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 08:39

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 08:39
""Can you run 2 Waeco fridge/freezers off on one aux battery set up at the same time ..... in the back of my 4wd *UNTIL* I arrive at a camp-site""

Yes, no problems at all, can even run them off the Cranking battery !!

Your problems will only occur when you get to the "camp-site" where you will then require a fully independent power supply that can be quickly recharged.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 288102

Reply By: Member - Kevin H (NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:36

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:36
Thanks to all for your advice, i am now thinking of making a battery box to run one fridge and the other via the aux battery.
When i arrive at a campsite i will run them both of my camper trailer. I have 4x100amp deep cyclle batteries fitted would this method be okay.
Thanks in advance. Kev.
AnswerID: 288182

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:41

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:41
"""am now thinking of making a battery box to run one fridge and the other via the aux battery""" <-:Run them both from the same Aux battery when travelling - as there is no power problem because it's being charged by the Alternator.

"""When i arrive at a campsite i will run them both of my camper trailer. I have 4 x 100 AH deep cyclle batteries fitted, would this method be okay.""" <-:That is almost double what I use!!
You will have to think about how you will re-charge the 400AH battery system.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 553553

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 18:29

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 18:29
Thanks Mainey ,for your advice i have fitted a float charger in the camper also to charge the batteries. I charge 2 batteries then via a swich i change over to charge the other bank of 2 batteries.
Also whilst at home i have the battery charger on at all times,and rotate the charge of the batteries each couple of days.
Kev.
FollowupID: 553636

Sponsored Links