Vic High Country

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 23:33
ThreadID: 54687 Views:2046 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of taking a trip up to Vic High Country around Oct 2008. Am interested in seeing how much has regenerated with two winters since the fires. I would like to check out Craiges, Mt Terrible, German Spur Track, Mitchell Track, Fry's Hut and area's .

Does anyone know if these areas are open yet, I know some will be closed during snow season but we will do it after that.

Any info will help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 00:55

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 00:55
Lots of the HC still closed for Winter until traditional opening at beginning of November.
Even if those areas are open now does not mean they will be in October or even November as the snow can bring down so many trees that Parks and or DSE may not have been able to clear and open all tracks in time for the traditional November opening.

You need to look at conditions closer to your time of travel and remember they can change within a day.

Cheers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 288087

Follow Up By: Blaze - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 02:02

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 02:02
Thanks John, I guess I didnt explain myself right. I know the tracks change etc during winter, basically needed to know if they had been open the year after this seasons snow. A lot were still closed late last year because of damage to tracks during fires during summer. We were there a few weeks before fires started and would like to see what its like now. Thanks for info though...
FollowupID: 553339

Reply By: Zebra400 - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:18

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:18
Yuo might want to start with this link. It shows a few maps of tracks that are currently closed.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm

Once you are there, select the Alpine National Park. You might also download the Access re-opening strategy after the 2007 bushfires.

However, a phone call to the local Park Victoria office nearer the time (start by ringing 13 1963. They will transfer you to the local office).
This will give you better info for latest track openings & closures.

Laurie
AnswerID: 288093

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:13

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:13
G'day Blaze
We were down there after Xmas just gone. Apart from German Spur we were at all the others. Craiges - I assume you are referring to Craig's Hut? Some areas will take years to regenerate because some gums die and spread seeds thus regrowth very slow. The others, where they sprout out all over the trunk, are doing very well. We were not disappointed by the fire damage - probably made it easier to see from the ridges.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 288142

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:45

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:45
Access to Craig's hut via the Circuit Rd should be just open by then but the Stirling track over the summit wont be until the 1st Weekend of November, possibly later if there is a snow drift on top.
Mt Terrible is open all year round although a couple of the tracks leading to it have recent seasonal closures (Including Moonlight track) those unavailable till Melb Cup weekend.
Mitchells Track is another definite seasonal closure between Wrens Flat & the Slate Mine.
Fry's is open from the Sheepyard Flat end.
If you go in Oct unfortunately access will be very disjointed with a high probability of further track closures due to wind & landslide damage. To be sure, not until the 1st weekend of December is everything pretty much open. Check the 'Parks' site in Sept then ring the Mansfield office just prior to leaving for an update.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 288183

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:46

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 18:46
German Spur is open all year as well.
FollowupID: 553457

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 05:09

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 05:09
The track over Mt Stirling to Craigs Hut has a seasonal closure from May 1 to Dec 1. I see Parks Victoria doesn't list seasonal track closures any more. In fact, getting track closure info is getting worse. I went down the Haunted Stream last week. There was a temporary track closure due to storm damage. Although this track is covered by the DSE, their site says to go to the Parks Vic site for track closure info for all high country tracks.

I suggest a call to the local Parks Vic office nearer to your time of travel to get the latest local news.
FollowupID: 553537

Sponsored Links