Hi Guys,your expertise is required.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 18:32
ThreadID: 54727 Views:4131 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
It looks like I’ll be buying the Toyota 04 SR5 Turbo Diesel Hilux.It has a ARB High Canopy on it already.The standard 15 inch wheels etc etc

I will be fitting a dual battery system to suit my rf50 Evakool fridge as soon as I can.
The next question is what should I do next in the coming months in order in your opinions..

Arb Bull Bar and 9.5 warn winch
Snorkel
Icom Radios
4x4 course (newbie)
First aid kit- Which one is good ???

And any other comments will be welcomed

Thankyou for your time
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:53

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:53
Your vehicle is more than capable as it is. You need to start using it.

First thing I'd recommend is to join a 4wd club. You'll learn a heap more in a practical sense than you will from a one day or one weekend course.
Secondly, install a UHF radio.
You'll need the first aid kit anyway.
You'll need front and rear recovery points, and your own recovery gear - strap, shackles, long handle shovel.

later on, get the bullbar and better tyres.

Winch can be down the bottom of the list.
Snorkel depends on where you are, and whether you'll be doing water crossings - In SA I'd say no, and in Vic, I'd say yes.
AnswerID: 288344

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 20:50

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 20:50
Unless it has an up-to-date service history (logbook or service book only) I would think seriously of changing all oils, filters, hoses and belts before I did more than a few K's or any other mods.
Then you have a known start point for your services.

Just my opinion, others may differ.

Disco.
FollowupID: 553670

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:31

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:31
Thanks Phil and Disco for your prompt and great advice (keep em coming ~(8--)

These Guys lok like a lovely bunch of fellows :http://www.tlcv.org.au/

Any preferred brand for the first aid Phil..And the BETTER Tyres ????..And would i need to change from 15 inch to bigger ??????
Yep hav a block out of Jamieson,Ive read if i get Safari Snorkel their is a ram air effect which helps the motor a bit !

Hiya Disco

This Vehicle has been serviced on the button,I am thinking like you though and get it done again as a starting point,getting a mechanic tommorrow to put on hoist to look-see...

Wheres your two cents worth Willem ! ~(8--)

Cheers Guys !
FollowupID: 553684

Reply By: richor - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:19

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:19
You have to decide what you want to do with it. As it is it is a very good 4wd. You can spend thousands of dollars on 4wd bits and pieces and never get to use them. As Phil said get a good first aid kit, a UHF radio and recovery gear. You need to be self sufficient so you are not using up other 4wd'ers. They will help you but prefer you to have your own gear. Get a few of the basic spares and at least two spare tyres and some inner tubes. The essential bits aren't as romantic as lockers and snorkels and lift kits but they are pretty important.

Look at a few threads by the likes of Mainey (WA) - Solar power, Doug T - GPS, Phil G (SA) - great vehicle setup,, Willem - his website is an experience you wont want to miss, and Mike Harding who has a quirky knowledge on almost everything.

Join a 4wd club and go on a few trips with them. Talk to the blokes who have been around a bit and you will soon work out what you really need.

Regards,
Bob

AnswerID: 288361

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:42

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:42
Thanks Bob

Sorry I should have mentioned i already have a Magellan eXplorist XL GPS
with both mapping system,DiscoverAus Street by Street ,DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks Topo !

As far as recovery gear what is the prefered brand ???? or non brand !

I will read the threads you pointed me too...

Cheers Mate
FollowupID: 553688

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:32

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:32
The first thing is tyres 'cos if you get that wrong all the other stuff is wasted.
AnswerID: 288368

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:44

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 21:44
Hi Ian thanks for your reply..I know this will probably open a can of worms but some suggestions will be nice !

70 percent road/30 bush as a rough guide !

Cheers
FollowupID: 553690

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 07:54

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 07:54
We have BFG A/T's and are pleased with them. (third set)
AnswerID: 288402

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:51

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:51
Thanks Ian will have a look

Cheers
FollowupID: 553879

Reply By: Smudger - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:49

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:49
Dual battery - a must if you're running accessories & fridge.

Winch and Winch Bar - you might find you're then up for a front suspension upgrade to handle the extra weight. Frankly, I reckon most winches are just very expensive jewellery. Haven't needed one in 20 years of 4 wheelin'.

4WD Course - join a club. Previous reply was right, you'll learn and keep learning with a club. Plus extra benefits; access to places you otherwise could not get into. Technical support. Always a trip on the horizon with like minded people.

UHF - useful on a club run, for chatter with others in the convoy.. Otherise pretty useless. I always got on well with a good quality hand held. Easy to take with you when you upgrade vehicles. Cheaper too. If you're heading into to the remote utback, UHF won't be much use, except for talking to Road Trains. For serious comm's you need to think Satphone, or VHF. Don't rush out and buy, do some 4Wheelin first and figure out what you really need.

First Aid - Go and do a St John First Aid Course, then you'll know what to put in a kit that you can build up yourself. Probably the best dollars any 4WDer could spend IMHO.

Someone else said get the tyres right. I'll second that. No need to spend the earth - AT's will probably do what you need.

Get a decent workshop manual, a decent set of tools and basic spares.

AnswerID: 288426

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:51

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:51
Thanks Smudge for the time to give me all this info !

Cheers
FollowupID: 553878

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:07
Unless you are intending on going hard core in it
- one of a hiluxesd advantages is they are light so if possible try and keep it that way such as no winch. while they can always come in handy they are not the most neccessary item on a tourer and are v heavy
AnswerID: 288532

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:10
Oh yea I guess for starters decent tyres, Snatch strap and a compressor as well as a shovel
as well as recovery hooks if it hasnt got them
despite what the 4by mags tell you thats all you need to start rocking and rolling
FollowupID: 553883

Reply By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:04
Ok am in the deep end here signed up,deposit paid and pick it up friday afternoon...

I noticed it has Bridgestone Dueller tyres on it,not sure what type (number) as a guess from the internet picture 687..

Will they be anygood or ditch them ! ?????

Thanks for all your replies guys !
AnswerID: 288550

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:45

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:45
providing theve got enogh tread theyll be fine
id be more intrested in where your taking it for the weekend seeing as you pick it up fri arvo
FollowupID: 553915

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 14:25

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 14:25
Davoe

Yep they are brand new well less than 500ks

and if i get it on Friday (if Ready) a friend has just built a house in Gembrook.. He's been 4wd for years,Knows the area and is going to teach me some basic stuff !

When i was looking about a year and a half ago i was leaning towards the SR5 v6 and everyone basically said no go the turbo diesel,now they know i'm getting ithe turbo they say why not the v6 - go figure heah

Cheers Mate !
FollowupID: 553975

Sponsored Links