Side Box

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 15:34
ThreadID: 54753 Views:2150 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I am looking at replacing one of my jerry can holders on my camper trailer with a side box to be used as a tool box, first aid, etc

My present setup has a jerry can holder either side of the trailer.

I could make one but am not that handy so does anyone know of any off the shelf boxes similiar to the the size of a jerry can that may be suitable to this need

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rockpiglet - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 16:50

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 16:50
Squaredeal depending where you are based you could find 2nd hand tool boxes at the truck wreckers. Just check that they are water and dust proof.
If you look around the 2nd hand ones are much cheaper.
I have tried to insert a link below at truckhub that has 2nd hand tool boxes just for an idea. But have always found if you go to the wreckers and look around on the vehicles you can always barter a better price.

Also a lot of truck body builders, build a body an a new truck with a flash toolbox and cut the original manufacturers off. They just sit around in a pile or go in the scrap bin, there smaller but handy for ropes and recovery gear.

truckhub trailer parts
AnswerID: 288460

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 20:25

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 20:25
Yep you can get them. I got two for my first off roader as I didnt need to use jerry cans and wanted to make use of the 2 positions I had. No longer have that camper and current van doesnt have jerry holders, but I think they are something too good to get rid of (but I generally hang onto everything - just ask SWMBO)

I bought these from a disposal store in Toowoomba Qld 4350 when I was up there visiting the family a few years back. They slotted straight in but the size does vary slightly. They have a rubber seal on underside of metal lid with the clamps on each end of the lid. These are in perfect condition but when I looked around I often found boxes that were pretty ordinary. They are a flat sided box including lid. Also have 2 handles on them.

You should see them in disposal stores for around $50 each depending on condition. Was more than I wanted to pay at the time and a little shorter than i really wanted but for waterproof boxes i thought they were worth it in the end as nothing else comes close on the market.

They are just slightly different to jerry cans from memory but were the closest thing you can buy without having to modify the holder on the van (which buggers up the resale for any1 using jerrycans)

Just measured mine - 335 x 140 x 350mm HIGH. These actually have USA and UN stamped on them in yellow paint. (I would put a photo on but havent done it in nearly a year and forgotten. Had to use photobucket from memory??but havent used that again either) If you lived nearby I would be happy to show them to you.

Cheers Mick
AnswerID: 288506

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:26
If you are serious about clean First Aid Equipment. I would use a case that can be removed like a Pelican case or similar. You should be able to find one the same size as the jerry can.

Try here.. Cases

or here...

Pelican

Regards

Derek
AnswerID: 288539

Sponsored Links