Customline camper trailers - any negatives?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 19:01
ThreadID: 54758 Views:12585 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a secondhand Customline off-road camper trailer. I've looked through the forum and seen a fair few positive comments, which are encouraging. However one or two people have suggested that maybe they are not quite as robust as, say, a Trackabout or a Camel. My question is - has anyone ever suffered any structural failures, or had any other major problem, with their Customline?

Thanks,
Tim Z
98 GU Patrol 4500 Petrol/LPG
Too many kids to go camping without a trailer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 19:19

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 19:19
Hi,

I have spent 3 months studying campers & the outcome of that is I have just ordered a new one this week. Couldn't go past the value. Went to the factory & gave it a thorough look over & was impressed. I also looked at the Camel, Johnno's & Lifestyle & the Customline came up trumps.

Hope this helped
Cheers & Happy Travels
Jason
AnswerID: 288484

Follow Up By: zigglemeister - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:36
Hi Jason,

Thanks for that. Good to hear that you were impressed with the factory. No-one's come up with a bad experience so far, so that's a good sign!

Tim
FollowupID: 553950

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:38

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:38
Same here.
Bought the Customline.
Was looking at the Camel, Trakabout and Lifestyle as well.
The trakabout is most probably stronger , the safari that is.
But couldn't see the money in the extra dollars for the type of touring we do. Lifestyle about the same strength as the trakabout.
Would rate the camel and customline about the same quality and strength, but the customline is cheaper. Camel has more options, but decided I could do some of it myself.

We bought ours 2nd hand and had Customline add electric brakes.
I added a hand brake and upgraded the kitchen and a few other things.
AnswerID: 288523

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:58

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:58
Hi,

I purchased a customline tent about 3 years ago & put it on my own built trailer.

An excellent tent, fits a family of 5 & we are very happy campers.

You can not go past the build quality of the tent, 15oz canvas is the way to go.

I can not comment on the trailer though.
AnswerID: 288932

Reply By: zigglemeister - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:34

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:34
Hi all,

Thanks to all those who replied. Unfortunately the seller's neighbour purchased it three hours before I was about to head from Toowoomba to the Sunshine Coast to see it in the flesh and hopefully buy it :-(

Regards,
Tim
AnswerID: 288957

Sponsored Links