Rear aircon units info req'd

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 19:01
ThreadID: 54759 Views:2180 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Dear Forum,
I was wondering how easy it would be to get an additional aircon unit fitted in the back of a Defender to keep the dog cool.

At this stage I don't have any info at all on manufacturers, cost ect.

We are planning to travel the Kimberleys, tas he other half is keen to do some remote nursing so we are planning to travel light with just our camper trailer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:14

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:14
Without attaching a roof mounted (on top of roof) system it would be a fairly big job although not impossible. I reckon if you could pick up a rear aircon unit from a prado grande (including the ductwork that goes to both sides up top) it could be done. Piping would be better done by an aircon mob. There is quit a lot of piping (joins) running under the floor of mine from the compressor where it goes two ways. Two pipes to the fire wall for the front evaporator and then another two running right up to the drivers rear quarter. It doesnt have the thermister (electronic thermostat) in the rear unit itself it is located in the rear of the centre consol which controls the temp and also fan speed. You would also need this if pulling out of a prado for it to operate. I use my rear air quit a bit especially when my shepherd and rottie are in the back.
AnswerID: 288514

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:16
There are two of these vents either side.

FollowupID: 553869

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:21

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:21
The rear evaporator and fan (all in one) is located behind the plastic trim and is not that big in size but very efficient.If you would like any further pics on piping underneath etc please send me your email address and will email to you. Hope this helps you out a bit. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 553872

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:33

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:33
I have an 86 Sahara with rear air and the rear outlet goes across the roof just behind the rear seat.
The condenser is just inside the back tailgate and restricts the rear access a bit.
The controls are just behind the rear door RHS in the roof.
There is lots of plumbing underneath the car, but I would think you would need quite a bit bigger compressor to do the job.
Maybe you could find something in the wreckers.

I know the Statesmans have a lot bigger compressor than the normal Commodore and is a much better AC because of this.
More volume to cool down, so bigger compressor.

The dog alone will generate a lot of heat, so your AC will have to work pretty hard.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288556

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:28

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:28
Dave Statesmans use the same HVAC as the Commodores but are climate controlled.

Compressor, condenser and evaporator are interchangable.
FollowupID: 553949

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:43

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:43
Try this maybe
AnswerID: 288559

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:22

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:22
It can be done but expect some where between $2500 to $5000.

The 110's came out with factory air on a few but most where fitted here in Australia with a locally made air con kit.

Compressor will cope but the condenser may be a little small depending on what rear evaporator you want to use.

There are many differant off the shelf evaporators you can use or you may want to goto a cutom made evaporator with ducting.

What sort of dog are you trying to keep cool?

Regards Richard

AnswerID: 288592

Sponsored Links