tirfor winch - old or new

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:13
ThreadID: 54771 Views:5163 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A few tirfor winches come up for resale, but are usually the older model - which is much bigger than the current one. Is there any advantage over the older one? Is the main disadvantage its size?

Does anyone have any experience of either/both???

Thanks for comments.

Loris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:43

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 23:43
I used to carry the older one...very big and heavy. I now have a Big Haul which is lighter...but just as unused LOL
AnswerID: 288560

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:51

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:51
Loris.
(Funny how names recur, eh Footyl.)
Mate we lug a Big Haul around. Never used in anger, and takes a politician's share of the space in the tray.
But hey, do you have a choice?

Before I sit back and enjoy a giggle c/- the Real Men!!, let me say that those of you blokes who actually use your winches, onya!!
To the geese with $3000? worth of bleep stuffing up the suspension? Yes mate, I'll help you out....until you step out of line.
Loris, essential bit of kit is a pully/snatch block/wotall.
Travel well.
J.
AnswerID: 288569

Follow Up By: Ray - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:08

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:08
I couldn't agree more. I have used the Tirfor type winch for many years and with a series of snatch blocks and pulleys you can pull anything but only use the handle and shear pin that is provided by the manufacturer.
You don't have to worry about the extra weight on the front end of the vehicle, as with a winch or the wiring or battery and they are a lot cheaper to buy and when not needed, which in some cases is 90% of the time can be stored in the back shed.
FollowupID: 553931

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:49

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:49
The Tirfor Model T35 is a compact size, The winch, handle & cable would easily fit into a small 'kitbag'. A clean second hand one should be fine- so long as the gripping teeth are OK- and buy a few spare genuine shear pins..
Use with a Snatch Block would get you out of all types of situations..
AnswerID: 288610

Sponsored Links