4x4 Campers

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:14
ThreadID: 54808 Views:2206 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering buying either a Aussieswag Ultra or a Aust Offroad Camper and I'm confused in regards to tow ball weight. Both campers fit into the specs for a number of the smaller 4X4 ie Vitara etc , but I don't know if these specs will differ in the real world. Has anyone towed such campers with anythig other than something the size of a Landcruiser?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:27

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:27
Check this website

Introduction to Camper Trailers

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288774

Reply By: A J - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:51

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:51
Ratmo - had a Aussieswag some years ago - towed it with a 2.4 hilux diesel - it handled it very well. Only reduced fuel consumption by about 2 mpg. It may have been a bit lighter than the one you are looking at. Took it to the cape in late 1980's and home via Musgrave, Edward River Mission, Kowanyama to Normanton. Also took it to the kimberleys via Duncan highway to Derby -Gibb River Road, Mitchell Plateau - into the Ruined City on the Phelps River - south eastern Arnhem land and home via Lawn Hill. I consider them to be a great little campertrailer.

A J
AnswerID: 288787

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:27

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:27
The KK Sports RV is another thats suited to small 4x4's with a ball weight starting at 60kg......don't know the weight of the other two ??

BUT, it will depend on what EXTRA weight you put in them ( especially the front boxes )....

What 4x4 do you have ?? Is it a Vitara ?? I have seen a Vitara towing a Pioneer Argle and the rear end attitude looked OK..

Depends what extra you put in the back of the 4x4 as well !!!!

Most of these CT's are approx 1 to 1.4 ton loaded, so even though legally you may be OK , it will depend on how comfortable you are with the tow vehicle ??
AnswerID: 288795

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:09

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:09
Ratmo, I have an Aust Offroad Camper ZR which I tow behind my 60 series.
I know it’s there when I hook up and get going, and mine is a turbo.
Not sure how it would go behind a smaller 4X4.
It’s a brilliant CT, but I think behind a smaller 4X4 the scenery would pass by fairly slowly.
The two storage boxes on the front hold a lot, but it’s difficult to fill them with all light stuff.
I haven’t checked the ball weight but I can do it tomorrow if you want.
My front boxes have only got the annexe and matting and ropes and pegs in at the moment.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288893

Sponsored Links