OziExplorer Question

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:33
ThreadID: 54826 Views:2934 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have been running OziExplorer CE on my PDA with a Compact Flash GPS. Very recently, I upgraded to a Bluetooth GPS but am having trouble getting it to work with OziExplorerCE and Ozi Explorer. I know my PDA has Bluetooth so my question is does OziExplorerCE support Bluetooth GPS? and does OziExplorer for PC's support Bluetooth GPS.

Thanks in advance
Toolman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:39

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:39
Yes
AnswerID: 288860

Reply By: howie - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:55

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:55
the answer really is that its your pda that supports bluetooth devices, not ozie
the data received by the pda can be used by ozie ce.
same again for pc's or laptops.
my pc does not support bluetooth but my laptop does.
the question 'does ozie support bluetooth' is incorrect.
ozie is just a program that uses NMEA data received by any means on the pda or pc.
there are settings you will have to change in the config on the pda.
that is after you have paired the bluetooth to the pda obv.
the speed may have to be changed also.
the bluetooth gps should have some info with it.

AnswerID: 288863

Follow Up By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:18

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:18
Of course you are right, I could have phrased my question better.

I have loaded Tom Tom on my PDA and Tom Tom wouldn't recognise my CF GPS whereas it goes well with my Bluetooth GPS. Ozie does the opposite. I can use my CF GPS as well as my old Garmin Etrex, but I just can't seem to be able to configure Ozi to connect to the Bluetooth GPS. More head scratching and trying I guess.

Thanks for your reply
Toolman
FollowupID: 554225

Follow Up By: howie - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:01

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:01
on the pda bluetooth settings it should tell you what com port it is using for the gps.
this is the port that should be in ozie-file-config-NMEA(gps).
the baud speed for mine is 38400
also, if you have been playing with other devices, it might be useful to go to the 'running programs list' on the pda and stop all.
there might be a conflict with other progs running.
hope this helps
FollowupID: 554234

Follow Up By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:21

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:21
Thanks for the follow up Howie, much appreciated. I'll report back in a few days when I get back to setting it up, using all the hints provided so far
Toolman
FollowupID: 554245

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:38

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:38
Hello
Read this - it may help

PocketPC 2003 and Bluetooth Issues

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288907

Follow Up By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:22

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:22
Greg, Appreciate the link. As I said above I'll report back when I have time to give it another attempt.

Toolman
FollowupID: 554246

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:47

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:47
Hi - I have an IPAQ PDA and a bluetooth GPS and run both Oziexplorer and Copilot at the same time - both using the bluetooth GPS.

To be able run both together I had to buy a product called GPSGATE (fairly cheap from memory) which sets up virtual ports for the software to use.

Without it I could only run one or the other.

If you configure your buttons you can jump between the two products by pushing a button.

What I find good is use Ozi maps but listen to the Copilot directions

Any way have fun,

Richard
AnswerID: 288921

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:13

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:13
G'day
Here's an update on my original question. Thanks to the clues and hints by all posters I slept on the problem and this morning had success with 75% of my problem. I now have Bluetooth connected to both Ozi and Tom Tom, CF GPS connected to Ozi as it always was but Tom Tom definitely does not want to know about CF GPS. I doubt I'll ever win with that one. Its a Tom Tom issue I believe.

I cannot get Ozi and Tom Tom to work together just yet but that's a challenge for another day.

The GPS configuration for Bluetooth (BT) for anyone interested is as follows:
PORT SETTINGS:
Com Port: Bluetooth Serial Port COM8
BAUD:38400
SENTENCE:GPRMC
GPS NMEA OUTPUT DATUM: WGS84

OTHER SETTINGS
Use CHK SUM (tick)
CHK VALID (tick)
Show GPS Fix Data (tick)
Show DGPS Secs (blank)
Say Fix Info (tick)
Auto Satellite View (blank)

SIRF SETTINGS
Apply SIRF Altitude Correction (tick)
Check for GGA and GSV Sentences (tick)

As an aside, has anyone tried the Development version of Ozi CE? I've been running it for a few weeks now and it has some improvements that I like. Try it and see what you think if you haven't already.

And thats it for now. Thanks again to all who contributed.
Toolman
AnswerID: 288951

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:36

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:36
There you go - piece of the proverbial 'P' when you have a red hot go and don't give up easily.

Now that you have progressed this far don't waste/spoil all your good work.

Back the PDA (full back up) both to the PDA and your computer via the docking station/patch lead or what ever it is that you are using.

MS-Sync provides for this and the PDA should have a function for it as well.

WHY:

Because PDA's have a bad habit of either running the battery down when unexpected and losing the lot, or just have 'one of those days' when they need a hard/full reset. same same.

Once recovered to operating status it is real relief to hit the 'restore' function I can tell you.

If you have a look at my Propile pic, you will see that I have 'been there' but survived. (LOL)

FollowupID: 554300

Sponsored Links