Jayco conversion

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:10
ThreadID: 54835 Views:3826 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am after some info on lifting my Jayco Hawk - Is it as easy as mounting the axle above the springs in lieu of below? noticed that the 'off-road' versions have a larger sub-frame, extra springs, 15" wheels and shock absorbers. I just wan some extra hight.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AndrewX - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:17

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:17
Yes it's that easy perthburts but if you want to raise it you'll need to put the axle below the springs and not above!
AnswerID: 288916

Follow Up By: perthburts - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:27

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:27
Doh, I knew what I meant! Another Q, How risky is it having a second battery in the rear of the vehicle? We have a 4.8 GU.... no room in engine bay. We need the rear-rear seats as we have 4 kids
FollowupID: 554240

Reply By: Blaze - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:09

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:09
Most vehicles these days have restrricted access to engine bay, I would suggest if putting a Battery inside the vehicle. Put it in a battery Box, to save leaks and if possible use a sealed battery. I have 2 in the back of my rig.
AnswerID: 288922

Reply By: Waza & Wend - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:39

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:39
Hi,

We have a Jayco expanda and just did the same thing. Had to get the A frame replaced (damaged in transit) and got them to 'under-sling' it while there. Slight modification to the shocks, but that was it. End result - 4"lift. Tows better behind the cruiser now.

Regards
Wasa

AnswerID: 288931

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:03

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:03
when you do the spring over conversion, make sure you buy some new U bolts, they are cheap to buy. after a short drive retension them aswell. we did this conversion to my old 13ft milllard van, only takes a couple of hours to do.
AnswerID: 288933

Reply By: Member - Kiwi B - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:18

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:18
PB

I see you asking about battery in vehicle cabin space. This is something I have contemplated for a while and am now very dubious about using lead/acid types for this purpose. They stink and I'm not sure that those gases are all that good for us. However, maybe some of the gel types that are around could do the job for you. Quite expensive, but very good and I believe they're gasless.

Perhaps their are others who can expand on this.

Good luck,
AnswerID: 288944

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:56

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:56
I have been told it is illegal to have ordinary lead acid batteries in a passenger compartment UNLESS it is in a sealed container that is vented to the outside.
I may be wrong but I wouldn't even think about it.
Could be suicidal if on a long trip the battery was overcharging and emitting high levels of noxious gasses.
Even in a caravan front boot this applies especially if the gas bottles are in there as well
FollowupID: 554268

Follow Up By: DIO - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:28

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:28
Think you will find that most recently manufactured vans with front boots have them well ventilated. Lead acid batteries inside passenger compartment of vehicle is both dangerous and stupid. Same goes for LPG. Check out Telstra vehicles (and probably other 'tradies' too), they have secure ventilated compartment with appropriate Dangerous Goods signs on them. Occ. health & Safety is always a big consideration, probably also covered under Conveyance of Dangerous/Inflamable Goods Act.
FollowupID: 554276

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi B - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:18

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:18
DIO,

You calling me stupid. Check the advice being offered then mebe reconsider. Optima type batteries don't need venting. Don't need to check Telstra buggies.

Be nice,
FollowupID: 554294

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:11

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:11
Buy something like an excide orbital AGM, cost around $300, won't vent(even if smashed),runs at any angle including under water,charges fast.
Don't use a conventional type of battery inside your car!!!!!!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 288974

Follow Up By: perthburts - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 02:45

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 02:45
Thanks All,
We'll do the under-sling of the axle with new u-bolts etc...... no shocks on the 2002 Hawk...... will this matter with the raise?

As for the battery, I still need guidance, are deep cycle OK? Worth the extra money? Do they take longer to discharge and recharge (the recharge will be via driving only)?
FollowupID: 554376

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 19:53

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 19:53
Hi
As stated, buy a AGM or Gel Cell, they charge much faster!! That's MUCH, with a capital M. Wet cell deep cycle,MMM, you would need to drive from Perth to Norsman to charge it!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289168

Reply By: PradOz - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:29

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:29
Hi - you will get a lift by reversing the axle however you need to be aware that you have to also remove and reverse the direction of a pin/bolt is fitted or it will tend to come loose after a while. I cannot remember the full details but I know it is a fact.

What I suggest you do is talk to a caravan repairer or trailer builder first and get the info from him - or look at one of the caravan forums.

I was going to do mine and had all the instructions but injured my back. So I rang a caravan repairer here in Sydney and he quoted $150 so I got him to do it. He also adjusted my electric brakes including machining so it was worthwhile. When they had finished and we were talking they mentioned the reversing of this pin or bolt also in the conversation about what they had done. Also said something about grinding something off but cannot remember what it was. He said he often has to fix up these sort of jobs after people do them and get them wrong. There will be people out there saying its not needed - all i say is do your homework on a few of the caravan forums first before you end up in any trouble later on. Not sure where they are but if I find my instructions I had I will let you know - cheers

AnswerID: 289224

Follow Up By: perthburts - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 00:01

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 00:01
Cheers PradOz.

Sound's like good advice. I'll let you (and others) know what the out-come is.

Regards,

Perthburts
FollowupID: 554545

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:26

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:26
Do you have an annex?

You raise the Van and the walls of the annex will be too short.

re the battery . . . yep , feel for you. We have a 4.5 Gu with no battery room.

I would go with nothing else but an AGM battery in the passenger compartment.
AnswerID: 289257

Follow Up By: perthburts - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 19:38

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 19:38
Thanks flappa. Yes, we have considered the annex issue. I still am in favour of the lift for the Australian loop trip (probably won't even take the annex), as the van will sit better being the GU (I did a 2" lift myself on this in September last year). I have talked myself into an AGM battery. Read some great stuff on these last night. Means I have to run a heavy cable (I'm thinking 20mm2) from a system under the bonnet....... Any advice on Redarc VSR's or are cheaper switching relays available?
FollowupID: 554635

Sponsored Links