Jaycar & The Exploding Torch PT 2

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 16:56
ThreadID: 54853 Views:3347 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundSome of you may have read my post regarding a torch we bought from Jaycar just before xmas. After being charged for approx 1 hour from the cig lighter it exploded when switched on, the force was such that i received minor burns and bruising to my stomach and two of my fingers felt like they had been hit with a hammer. As i had the torch held sideways i guess i only received 10 or 20% of the blast. I believe the force was such that it may well have blown a hole in my stomach had i had the rear of the torch facing me!
I have had the relevant Gov department look/photo the torch but have had no feed back. A senior person from Jaycar has phoned me and apologised on behalf of the company. They have also sent us a $200 gift voucher.
The disappointing thing here is that the torch has not and will not be withdrawn from sale. The injuries to me were superficial and soon healed,however my partner is now worried about just the two of us being camped in remote area's.
As this is our preferred way of travelling and that we have just set ourselves up to travel for the next 12 months it's a bit disappointing.
I would hate to see what would happen to a child if they were holding this torch and it exploded! Looks likes that's what will have to happen to have it taken of the shelves.
Regards Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zacc - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:12

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:12
i have one of those but it is a arlec, had it for a few years now so far no kaboom . i wonder what made it explode?
AnswerID: 289005

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:17

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:17
I think the battery vented gas and when the switch was flicked --------

FollowupID: 554315

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 18:17

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 18:17
can i finsh it off

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
FollowupID: 554329

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:16

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:16
Looks like you didn't read the warning printed on the torch , what's the reat of the text below that say.

I can read NEVER turn the light on while charging, it will damage the unit.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289006

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:19

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:19
didn't turn on while charging

FollowupID: 554316

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:23

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:23
OK ....But what's the rest of that text,

and I would lay a bet it's Made in China . not the text
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 554318

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:35

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:35
What isn't these days??? I have some beaut explore oz shirts, and guess where they're made...???
FollowupID: 554319

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:24

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:24
Senior management of Jaycar are a bunch of w@nkers who are only interested in their profits - is that defamatory? Nah... do I care... nah.

Perhaps they would like to explain why they are still selling this product:
Prohibited Weapon in Victoria

Hopefully your consumer affairs people will have a proper analysis of the torch performed - sounds as if the battery may have gassed - unsurprising given the total lack of charge control in these cheapo torches. Jaycar should remove this product from sale but given the problems getting them to remove a battery charger which put 240V onto the battery negative charge cable against earth I am not optimistic.

Switch to an LED torch they are better in every way. Tell your partner not to be such a wuzz :) and remind her that if this was Canada exploding torches would be the least of her issues... bears! would be more interesting! :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 289009

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:26
Lyndon, I had one of those that I used at work, and was never happy with it. Exactly the same as the one in your pics but marketed by Arlec. It needed to spend most of it's life on the charger, to keep any sort of charge. If in a roof space, for example, you would have brilliant light for a while, but when it died, it would drop dead almost instantly, not slowly get weaker as you would expect, leaving you stranded in darkness. Also would not be a happy ending at a bush camp, or halfway through a night time repair, flat tyre etc. Anyway, chucked it out...rubbish. Cost about 50 bucks too, from memory.
p.s. I bought one of those wind up dynamo torches for emergency lighting only. Always keep it under the seat.
Doesn't look like there was much concern shown by Jaycar. You should pursue that matter with them mate. Just imagine what the yanks would do with this....sue for pain, suffering, post traumatic stress (tongue firmly in cheek chaps)..LOL :-)
Cheers from Fred.
AnswerID: 289010

Follow Up By: zacc - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:40

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:40
mine does the same , for ever on charge and little time to use . i thought it was just my torch .
FollowupID: 554321

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:43

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 17:43
yeah zacc, I bought it for the candlepower, but after being caught in a roofspace a few times gave it the big heave ho into the bin. Had very short battery life.
FollowupID: 554323

Reply By: giffo - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 18:28

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 18:28
The kaboom would be Hydrogen gas igniting when you flicked the switch.we have torches at work(Fire Service) that has a substance called Sodium Azide inside the torch to absorb the hydrogen gas ,but our torches are only normal battery not rechargeable.Have you alerted Consumer Affairs?

Cheers
Giffo
AnswerID: 289015

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 19:43

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 19:43
If you accept the $200, you agree that such a gesture is all that is required no ? Could it be that $200 is cheaper than a recall ? It could be someone's eye next time - IMO, gov.t departments have to have a written complaint in order to act..... anything less and they often go into avoidance mode (they might try that anyway :-o) ... maybe a copy to to the relevant minister of Consumer affairs....... and your local member ?
AnswerID: 289023

Reply By: Angler - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 00:38

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 00:38
I have had one of these I purchased from dick smith some yeras ago, The battery gave up after a year or so and I changed it for a new one from a local battery supplier. It has been working well for at least five years now without any problems. The battery is sealed and is always charged using the 240V power pack supplied. I have never charged it using any 12V system. I usually get about two weeks use and I check the back yard every night for brown golf balls.

Pooley
AnswerID: 289046

Reply By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:26

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:26
If you want to take it any further with the manufacturer DONT use the voucher. If you use it That means you are happy with that for compensation. If they send out 100 vouchers it is heaps cheaper than any legal action. It is the same as the the chicken my mrs bought from a major outlet that had traces of chemical in the stuffing which made her quite ill. After complaining she recieved a cheque for $25.00 as an apology. On advise she has not banked the cheque because it says that you have accepted the compensation. It depends how far you want to take it.
It looks to me like a dangerous item.

Steve
ps: dont eat it
AnswerID: 289049

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:42

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:42
This is an example of the dangers of having a sealed battery (Gel or AGM) mounted in an enclosed space (torch, vehicle).

In normal operation it's quite safe, as most users here who haven't had a torch explode, show.

But the consequences can be disastrous if -
- one cell in the battery fails
- the charger goes faulty and overcharges

because then even sealed lead-acid batteries will give off explosive hydrogen.
AnswerID: 289064

Sponsored Links