Narromine - Birdsville - Mt Isa

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 18:00
ThreadID: 54854 Views:2780 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We are thinking of doing a Narromine - Birdsville - Mt Isa trip & were after some feedback for the best route which will have us take in some of the scenery (Cameron Corner / Innamincka / Tibooburra etc). We have an MK Triton 2.8TD reasonably decked out & we will be camping so no dramas to head off road. Any info re this trip would be good. Do we need parks passes etc? I can carry an extra 60L of fuel on top of the 75L in the tank.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 21:52

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 21:52
Stef & Sal
I guess you have thrown some people by suggesting a start at Narromine. I presume you mean in NSW. Personally I would head due West on the Barrier Highway to Wilcannia and then turn right to White Cliffs. From there take the short detour to Mutawinjie N.P. Spend a couple of days there. Great aboriginal carvings and rock art - take a tour with the local guides. Then retrace your steps and head North to Tibooburra. Make sure you stop off at Milparinka on the way. There are a number of ways then to get to Innamincka. I guess if you've never been there before you have to go via Cameron Corner. The Warri gate Road is also interesting, through Santos and Epsilon. Give yourself 2 -3 days at Innamincka to see all the history in the surrounding area. Then off to Birdsville. Again a number of different tracks available. Be guided by the locals at Innamincka. If you want to see some different landscapes probably Walkers Crossing is the best way to go (If it's open). This will also give you a taste of the Birdsville Track, although that section is probably the best maintained part and can be a 100kph super highway. Birdsville to Mt isa is pretty straight forward, just head North and go through Bedourie and Boulia. These roads are usually in pretty good nick.
Lots to see and do in this trip and you would probably want 3 weeks to do it properly. And that is only getting you to Mt Isa.
Hope this helps

tessa
AnswerID: 289037

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 22:04

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 22:04
Sorry forgot to answer the rest of your queries.I don't think you will have a problem with fuel on any of these legs. As far as permits - if you stay at Mutawinjie you have to pay the Park rangers a small camping and entry fee. From memory they will come and collect it from you. At Innamincka if you are going to go out to Coongie Lakes you will need a Desert parks Pass, otherwise, camping on the common incurs a small fee to the Innamincka town committee to assist in the provision of showers toilets etc.
tessa
FollowupID: 554359

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:29

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:29
What Tessa has suggested will give you a pretty good holiday with plenty to see.

The other option would be to go via Bourke. Kidmans Camp north of Bourke is a nice Caravan Park and with a little effort you could walk down to the river. Should be nice now it has a bit of water in it.

Alternately you could turn off the Barrier Highway before Wilcannia and head up to Tilpa, an interesting little spot on the Darling River.Gundabooka National Park is up that way and is apparently well worth a visit. You can get through from Tilpa to White Cliffs easily too. North of White Cliffs is Reola Station which has a shearing shed that is well worth a visit. The family name is Brown and their number is in the book, give them a call and they will show you around.

If you are going to Mutawingee call them first. The ranger guided walks are only on certain days, I think it is Wednesday.

Milparinka is well worth a visit and for something different you could stay in the Hotel. Sitting in the bar and talking with the locals is an education.

Heading to Innamincka I like the Bore Track up through Bollard Lagoon. Ask at the Cameron Corner Store and they will give details. Also ask at the store how they get the money to stick on the ceiling. It'll cost you but it will be fun.

Everything else Tessa has suggested is spot on but if you get the chance take the river cruise at Innamincka.

Then again if you tell me when you want to go maybe I could come along as your guide. That is just about my favourite part of the world.

Duncs

AnswerID: 289068

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:00
The Bore Track through Bollards Lagoon is a great drive. Make sure you have good maps though as there are many mining tracks after you leave Bollards Lagoon. Walkers Crossing is also a good run with plenty of varied country. If there has been rain, check with police first as many of these tracks would then be impassable.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289075

Sponsored Links