Lake Darlot / Murchison Trip - Report

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 22:25
ThreadID: 54862 Views:3682 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I thought I would share some of my recent trip from Perth to Lake Darlot and return trip via Shire of Murchison.

My reason was good to go to the lake. When David Carnegie passed by with his two companions in 1895 his party had inscribed their initials and date upon some sandstone near the lake.

Last weekend was allocated along with Monday and Tuesday, for the task of getting to the lake and finding the inscription. As it turned out I did not find the inscription and had some spare time in the bush but here is the story.

Left Perth last Friday after knocking off work early, with my brother and headed out along Great Eastern Highway. Near Carrabin we headed north in the dark past Westonia along the Warrachuppin Road. It was here I saw my first Mallee Fowl, which was resting in the middle of the road and it disappeared before I could get a decent photo.

Soon we arrived at Korda Southern Cross Road and headed east where we found a spot off the road were we camped.

The next day we headed up past Bullfinch along the Evanston Road and back roads including the Mount Ida Road until Leonora. I have put some plots up in Plotswap from this trip, one of which shows this route.

Leonora, we got a paper, food and fuel and headed north east along the Nambi Road until Nambi, then north west I guess, until Melrose Station where we spoke to the Pastoral Lease Holder about our destination, who was much forthcoming with information to help us get there.

There are only two sources of information which provide clues to the whereabouts of the inscription. In Carnegies diary from 12/2/1895 there is a clue in the last two sentences. “The lake that blocked our further passage E we named Lake Misery & on the W banks steep sheer rock of sandstone we cut our initials”
And the following scan of a map that I hand copied from an original photocopy of Carnegies diary in the Battye Library.

These sandstone banks were the key to finding the inscription and it is easy to extrapolate the old map to new maps.
We stopped to have a look at Lake Darlot Cemetery before continuing.

Getting as close as 3 kms to the “sheer rocks” via tracks and fencelines we eventually had to travel off-track. We reached the lake to find only sandhills to the shore. We travelled parallel to the shore before eventually finding the “sheer rocks”.Carnegie had a habit of overstating the size of features he described and these cliffs were no exception.

We drove down the dune to a cleared flat section where we camped.

We looked briefly for the inscription in the vicinity and did not find it, but then settled down to watch the lightning storms as we had about a 180 degree view of the area and the most storms we counted at once was six.

In the morning we conducted two very thorough surveys of the rock faces and the top of the faces for any signs of the initials. The wall of sandstone was about 800 metres long. Here is an area which would have been easily inscribed.

Here is a section with was looks like a petrified tree trunk. This is not the only fossilised plant matter in the area. It is quite abundant really.

And here is a view of the section of the “sheer rocks” where we camped.

Despite two completely thorough searches (by two people working alongside) the inscription was not found. It may have been etched into a section of face which has since crumbled away, as many sections had. I suspect this one, may have gone to nature, but if anyone else wants to have a look- you’ll never find if you don’t look!!!

After lunch we took off again and decided to go to Leinster to re-fuel.

Video of leaving Lake Darlot campsite

At Leinster we decided more or less that as we had two more days to get to Perth we shall go back by way of Sandstone and Meeka. Our main objective was a failure, so we could play tourist now. That day we camped 8kms north of Sandstone off the main road about 200 metres where a drill rig was once positioned.
We arrived at Meeka on lunchtime the next day. Here I once again replaced my number plates as the rear one was missing. It took 15 minutes from first enquiry to having my new plates secured on the vehicle. In Perth it would have taken hours.
Fuelled up again we headed west where we stopped at Muggabullin Swamp.

Our goal was undefined but somewhat to the south west. We headed along Belele Mount Hale Road, Mileura Moutn Hale Road, and Mileura Nookawarra Road to Nookawarra. From there we went down the Beringarra Pindar Road then Meeberrie Wooleen Road until we reached the Murchison River.

The river was flowing and the marker was at 1.4 metres.

Video of Murchison River Flowing at crossing

We decided not to cross as we thought it was too dangerous. So we went further south to cut the river west of Twin Peaks. Here the river was only at 1.0 meters but was considerably wider than the crossing further north.

We camped 200 metres from the river right in the flood zone. In the morning noted that the river was now at 1.1 metres, 10 cm higher than last night.

There was no question of heading further south away from the river to Pindar then Mullewa. Through a dust storm we got to Mingenew then Three Springs, Coorow, Bindoon and back to Perth.

Disappointing as it was to not to find the inscription, it was still a great 4 day trip and now look forward to planning the next trip out.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 00:46

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 00:46
Some of my favourite country Alan.

Great report.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289047

Reply By: V8Diesel - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:02

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:02
Spent a fair bit of time out there myself soil sampling and hammering in all those galvanised droppers you see with the aluminium tags pop riveted on. They are spotted every 4 lineal km throughout the region. Big job and most of it was bush bashing - 10 x flats a day and the radiator out of the Cruiser for a clean every couple.

Great pics and trip report. Wish I was there too!
AnswerID: 289076

Reply By: Member- Tony C - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:49

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:49
Thanks Alan.Great trip report,thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cheers.
Tony
AnswerID: 289086

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:07

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:07
Hi Alan
Great trip report - shame the inscription may have crumbled.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289090

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:00
I agree with all you guys - very interesting trip report and good photos .
Thanks a lot ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 554421

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 13:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 13:00
Hi Alan

Nice trip

did you edit the plot files?
wheres all the interesting ones.. LOL

it would have been a bit worm that time of the year?

I subscribed to your YouTube site so it's not lonely anymore.. :-)

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 289103

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 17:14

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 17:14
Hi Richard,

Yes - I took the lake and river side trips out of the files, but they are true to their description.

It was stinking hot out there, especially on the Sunday.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554462

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:02

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:02
Alan

where the sandstone to Meka plot?

Richard
FollowupID: 554675

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:01

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:01
Richard

The plot "Miners Pathway WA" by David already covered that section so I didn't worry.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554686

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:21

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:21
David has no problems with the more we post on plot files,, It's all a numbers game
FollowupID: 554712

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:44

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:44
Top trip report Alan. Thanks for sharing it with us. It sounds like you had a ball regardless of the objective.
AnswerID: 289270

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:04

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:04
Gday Allen, Thank you for a good read. Another good adventure is to Emprise Springs. off the Great Central rd where Carnegie almost perished
We just love that type of breakaway country you explored the fossil tree truck looked very interesting, we have never seen one like that and have spent alot of time in breakaway country LOS
AnswerID: 289274

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:54

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:54
Great read. ive been stuck in perth too long
just one thing are you sure its a tree trunk? Most of the geology round the place is well and truly Before life began
AnswerID: 289410

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:20

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:20
G'day Davoe,

I can't think what else it could be. There are also cross-sections of the "trunks" that are oval shaped viewed from above. Also many other minor limbs and branches. All over the place.

I'm not an expert I can only hypothesize.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554736

Sponsored Links