Any beach left on Double Island or Fraser to camp on?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:45
ThreadID: 54868 Views:2158 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Thinking of taking the camper trailer to either Double Island Point or Fraser for Easter.

Has anyone recently been there? I know in Jan there wasnt any beach left, but wondering if its back yet...?

I would prefer a couple of days on Fraser during Easter but not interested if the sands washed away...Double Island would be nice too?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:55

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:55
I was at Inskip and Rainbow yesterday and there is miles of beach (at low tide) unfortunatley though, because the beach is so flat and runs up to a cliff (in one place it would have been 7 meters tall) around 2-3 meters tall, it only takes a small change in tide for teh beach to go under completely.

You couldn't get around the rocks at Rainbow without driving through salt (not the waves, but standing salt water) thid wasn't a problem for some!

So in answer in tyour question and based on my experiences at Inskip ove rthe last two months, I would say that there will be less beach, rather than more, this should not affect the campsites behind the dunes on Fraser however.

cheers
AnswerID: 289073

Follow Up By: lynxxy - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:16

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:16
Thank-you very much for that...

I think Ill consider Fraser then, its not that much further to travel and at least there will be room left to camp.

Are you up at Teewah Beach all the time?

Im thinking a week or so before I could check in with you.
FollowupID: 554403

Follow Up By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:39

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:39
We generally operate out of that area once a month. However the beach conditions at the moment make life a bit difficult, we are reviewing our beach courses for the short term. We will probably move south to the Noosa end of the beach for the next few months until things return to some semblance of normality.

Feel free to drop me an email and I can keep you informed.

cheers
FollowupID: 554428

Reply By: guzzi - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 17:17

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 17:17
We were at Fraser a month ago and had similar conditions to those mentioned above.
Beach is very flat and disappears quite quickly on an incoming tide.
Absolutely brilliant for driving on at low tide.
Didn't even attempt hook point then and there's been more erosion over the last month, take the inland track.
Dunes are cutaway all the way up to waddy point, which is as far as we got on that trip.
The campsites behind the dunes are OK, haveing said that some of the entrances have been extensively remodelled, most campsites have at least one or two entrances still negotiable.
You'll have to take the bypass tracks around most of the rocks you wont get around them otherwise.
Book early to get the site you wont, enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 289129

Sponsored Links