Plastic taste-caravan tanks

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 54894 Views:3020 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello to all, I have a Jaco van which is 6 mths old and I,am still getting that horrible plastic taste, how can i get rid of it, I was told to put in some Bi-carb but mine was out of date and it made on differance anyway, can any body help me, Thanks 2-Gee,s
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:14

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:14
You need to put in heaps of Bicarb, a couple of packets, around half kilo.

Make sure you don't use ordinary garden hose to fill your tank as it will make the water taste too. Get the food grade hose if you don't have it already.

Make sure you fill it right up after adding the bicarb to a bucket and dissolving it and pouring it in.

Leave it soak a day or so. Then drain and rinse a couple of times.

AnswerID: 289217

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:14

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:14
Milton's Baby Bottle wash is a good solution to clean and deodorize the water supply system. Cost is about $6.00 from any supermarket. You will use about 800mm for a 60 litre tank.

My thoughts are something else is contaminating the water. Even though still new, the tank itself shouldn't give that taste.

As mentioned above it is best to use food grade hose to fill the tank, but more important is that the supply hose from the tank to the tap is also food grade quality.

Also, topping up the tank after returning from a trip helps as well.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289254

Reply By: Go-N-Grey (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:35

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:35
Had exactly the same problem with my new Supreme, couldn't stomach the water. Did all the bi carb tricks etc, still was undrinkable.

Problem was $6 plastic hose used to fill it. Leave it in the sun with some water in it to let it cook - you then have concentrated plastic cordial. Then fill your caravan tanks and you have the excellent taste......

I also had the same problem with my 75 litre collapsible water bladder which I lay the floor in the back of the LC. Same taste, different water container material.

Get a good quality food grade hose, they usually are blue, problem solved.

Cheers

Phil
AnswerID: 289268

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 19:00
If you put a search in "plastic water taste" between dates of mid Jun & Mid Nov 07 you will get heaps of info. Good luck
AnswerID: 289343

Sponsored Links