OME suspension: where to get and what shocks to use

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 05:46
ThreadID: 54904 Views:5029 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
g'day folks,

we intend to replace the regular suspension of our Troopy by an OME suspension package.

Now there are two questions:
Where in the Perth area can we get a quote on such an OME package? ... or does anybody know off hand the price of such an OME suspension package?

And reading some archived Forum-Threads on OME shocks the question comes up if the OME shocks are really reliable...? Should one go for let´s say Koni shocks instead?

looking forward to hearing your advice.
thanks for help in advance - lukas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:45

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:45
Why do you want to replace them ?
AnswerID: 289249

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:23

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:23
Well seeing OME suspension is ARB owned I would surgest trying an ARB dealer.

OME suspension is as good suspension package, maybe not as good as Bilstien or Koni but you aren't paying the same price.

Im sure some people will come on here and say that they heard a story from a friends cousins bla bla bla that it was no good.

For most people they would not be able to tell the differance between suspension manufactures...they might think they can.

All suspension will fail and break, just remember a place where you did 20 Kph with standard suspension does not always mean if you up grade the suspension you can do it at 60 Kph and not have a problem.

Break a OME suspension component and you have a good chance of getting a replacement that day or overnight (depending where you are) try that with Bilstien or Koni!

2 month wait for Bilstien rears for our current model Hilux.

With ARB atleast you get the surport of many dealers not just a hand full here and there.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 289255

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:00

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:00
I used to always run OME in the 86 pajero, and did for over 10 years. Felt really happy with it. Springs and shocks.
With the new pajero (96), I felt the front shocks just didn't seem to be the same. OME were good enough to replace them free with a pair of revalved shocks, but they just didn't work they way I expected them to. Talking to OME, they had changed valving to suit the more higher road usage that pajeros seem to be doing, not so rough road and off road.
So as a company I would give them a high rating for listening and looking after their customers. I just didn't fit in to their 'normal' customer base.
When it comes to a troopy, have a good talk to them, as I am sure they have a range of suspensions to suit different types of troopy loads such as light to heavy loads.
AnswerID: 289260

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:42

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:42
I won't ask a silly question , I know why you want to replace, Mate try ARB at 14 Neil St, Osborne Park, WA 6017 Ph(08) 9273 6100.
Your going to get bombarded with so many alternatives in this post , I had a full set of springs and Dampers fitted about 4 years back, the difference is unbelievable, Not cheap , fit once and forget, go cheap and you'll regret it sometime down the track in the future,

ARB Old Man Emu

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289264

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:04

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:04
I agree that OME are a good product. Have had their suspension on my Hilux (including their shocks) for three years. After returning from a trip to the Kimberley and elsewhere in 2006, which included about 8,000KM off bitumen, I noticed that the front had dropped slightly. The lift from the suspension at the front when first fitted was about 40mm. I think it had dropped about 20mm from that. Took it back. After checking it out they said, I should expect some 'settling' over time, but the amount I had was a bit more than they would expect. They replaced the front springs at no charge.

Looking at upgrading to a new 70 Series Cab Chassis and will almost certainly fit OME again.

Norm C
AnswerID: 289275

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:52

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:52
lukas

try this site ARB

+ OME

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 289385

Reply By: gjcumming - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:39

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:39
Hello Lukas.
I had my 1999 Diesel HZ75RV Troopy (winch bar, 12000lb winch, Tow bar, loaded rear draws) fitted out with OME all round last month. Shocks, greasable springs, steering damper, greasable bushes etc. I put the axles over a weigh bridge prior. 1 fuel tank full, no cargo. just shy of 1300kg each axle. Local guy in country VIC did the job for $2600. Ride is better (acceptable) unloaded. But great with a load of cargo & body's onboard.
Regards: Grant.
AnswerID: 289403

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:57

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:57
g'day Grant,

thanks for the info.
As I am not familiar with the types/names of the specific OME suspension kits, how is the one you fitted named/numbered?

have a nice one - lukas

FollowupID: 554801

Sponsored Links