Storage pod w/"table" in 2nd row..

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:57
ThreadID: 54905 Views:2019 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've been pondering building a storage pod for the middle seat and floor in my GU Patrol. We never (=rarely) use the middle seat in the 2nd row, and hence I was thinking building a small 2-piece pod that could hold a small bag, and a small "longer" table with handheld UHF holders, drink holders for the kids ..

First piece of the design would be the bottom part which would have legs that protrude under both front seats to stop them moving too much from side to side. It would effectively have a base with two 'poles/planks' that fit under the front seats, and ends that rest against the storage unit in the front and the base of the 2nd row seats. Then build up walls to the same height as the front storage unit...

.. then build a top bit that fits snuggly into the lower one, and is held secure by a locking mechanism. The top bit would then be 'raised' a fair bit to allow a small table (and storage unit) that protrudes back to the seat walls of the 2nd row. Top bit would have a "table" with holes (w/chargers) for two UHF handheld units, and drink holders for the kids at the back. The top bit I was thinking of securing with the middle seat belt. Ie making a "hole" for it, so you can let the belt through, tighten it as much as possible, and then snap it into the lock. That way you have the base to keep it stable, and the belt to lock it down in case you do heavy breaking, or when your bouncing around on tracks etc..

What would work well with this is that you could store for instance the recovery kit bag in the lower section, and some other stuff in the top one. For the chargers I was thinking of putting in an inverter as well ..

Anyone made something like this? I've looked around, but have not found any reference to a similar product or that someones built one. Though never asked .. ;-)

If you have; any chance of sharing a few pictures.. just trying to gather some ideas, and may knock up a working model to start with.. ;-)

Thanks ..
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jskogsta - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:22

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:22
Sort of like this, but a larger model that leverages the foot bay space as well ...

http://www.consoles.com.au/seat2.htm
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 289252

Reply By: jskogsta - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:59

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:59
If anyone's interested, here's the pod that I've done over easter... still some small things to do; like mounting the uhf hand held chargers, two drink holders, two holders for nick nack .. a couple of holes to lift the 'tray tables' and a couple of latches holding the unit parts together...

I've placed a few pictures at PicasaWeb if you're interested. You can find the album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jskogsta/NissanPatrol2ndRowSeatConsole

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 294531

Sponsored Links