Uluru To Broken Hill

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 14:14
ThreadID: 54915 Views:4837 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done Uluru through to Broken Hill? If so could you please advise on time, road conditions and fuel stops. We will be towing a caravan with a Landrover Discovery.

Thanks
Andrea
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 14:55

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 14:55
do you wanna stay on the tarred roads or are you capable of off road??? (ie caravan)

If you are i suggest going up oodnadatta track, go up to mt dare, head towards finke, but turn off at the kulgera road and head to kulgera, this will take you past lambert centre, upt he stuart hwy and then across the uluru...the last 300km or so is all tarred and good trip...

may - sept i guess good times....we went early sept 06.

If going on tarred road i wouldnt have a clue but i assume up the main drag...

oh yeah, we did uluru - broken hill....came through the flinders...nice if you dont get car sick!!

hope this hepls....

Laura
AnswerID: 289296

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 17:51
It's all bitumen Andrea. Major Highways and plenty of fuel. 22km out of Port Augusta turn left and go to Wilmington, Orroroo and Peterborough and onto the Barrier Hwy to Broken Hill. Take as long as you like but 3.5 days should cover it.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289329

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 18:51

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 18:51
If you could clarify your question perhaps we could help you a bit better. Do you want the quickest route, the shortest route or the most scenic route? Or something else altogether? Its certainly possible to drive from BH to Uluru, but there are many variations in route that are possible. Which way you go depends on what you want to get out of the trip.

HTH, cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289341

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:15

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:15
If you are sticking to the main road you could probably do it in 2 days. There are fuel stops no further than 200km apart and it is a dead easy run.Broken Hill to Coober Pedy is 1000km, Coober Pedy to Yulara is about 690km.

We did the Hill to Erldunda, where you turn off to go to Uluru in a day and a half, in a 4.2 GU towing a camper trailer.

Then again on the way home we came across the Simpson and it took us more like 8 days to get from Erldunda to the Hill. We fuelled up at Kulgera, Mt Dare, Birdsville, Innamincka and Cameron Corner, just a splash so I would not have to worry about fuel on the way home.

Like the others have said Andrea it is a pretty open question. There are heaps of possible routes depending on how remote you are willing or wanting to get.

Duncs
AnswerID: 289387

Sponsored Links