Mansfield,VIC to Brisbane - one week- ideas?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 14:20
ThreadID: 54916 Views:3077 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, We live in Brisbane and we are going to the Victorian High country in 3 weeks for a few weeks and we have decided to take an extra week afterwards to get home to Brisbane. We finish the high country trek in mansfield and would love to explore more of Victoria. It is very overwhelming the amount you can do and we were hoping the locals could help us with somes places. we were maybe thinking of NP/State park hopping along the coast from Melbourne to Sydney?? we like bush camping mostly but are open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 15:21

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 15:21
Go the other way (west from Mansfield) Carlin and check out the Vic desserts , then loop around maybe via Mildura or Broken Hill on the way back to Brissy.

Its a short days drive from Mansfield to Rainbow and your likely to find the level of Bush camping and sand track driving rather acceptable as the peak of the summer will have been passed.

Can give plenty of details if something along this line is ok.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 289304

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 15:24

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 15:24
We would MUCH prefer to go that way!! I guess we were worried that it would be too hot?
FollowupID: 554595

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 16:21

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 16:21
Hi Carlin

I presume you where travelling end of march into april.

The vic section is likely to be ok , but it might be hot around Broken Hill. If I was doing that I have a backup plan to come back from desserts to hume hwy in a sort of loop and just head straight home up Hume if to hot.
WE last were there checking out the Biggest sandhill on Australia Day and it was high thirties then but pleasant overnight and we loved it.

Don't know what sort Of HC trip your doing but there is just as much action within a hours drive of Mansfield.

If you have an hour spare , there is a high mountain 5km west of Mansfield called the Paps - the signposted track entrance is not obvious (farm gate puts people off) but there is a spectacular but easy track right to the top with 360 degree views.
Well worth doing while waiting for dinner to be served in town.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 554598

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 17:10

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 17:10
G'day Carlin
We too are from Brissie and were down in the Vic high country after Christmas this year.
May I suggest that you end your holidays with the HC. Anything after that will be a let-down! That HC is seriously fantastic. The bits and pieces we saw on the way home afterwards, whilst no doubt very nice in their own right, just couldn't measure up to the Vic high country.
So I'd recommend that you switch your timing.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 289320

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 18:05
mmm we were thinking of staying in the high country as well. I guess we were just a little nervous about doing tracks on our own after the group left us after week 2. PS did you just use the rooftop maps and hema maps?
FollowupID: 554614

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:06

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:06
Grab all the Rooftop maps you can - they will be all you need because they are so detailed. We thought the Hema map we had would be OK but it proved to be hopeless compared to the Rooftop ones. Chalk and cheese situation with the maps.
FollowupID: 554754

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 20:02

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 20:02
Gaday Carlin. To avoid recomending places you're already going to on your High Country tour, what is the itinary of the trek???
Also what standard of driver are you, what type of car/camper are you taking & what things intrest you? Are you after 4x4 driving to challenging locations, historical sites, fine food & wine, major tourist attractions or short walks to lookouts etc?
Having travelled so far to get to Victoria I'd suggest spending the maximum time down south looking at all the highlights then transit home at the end instead of spending alot of time with fleeting visits to half a dozen spots up the East Coast.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 289359

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 20:13

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 20:13
Itinerary is (places we are camping)
Bendoc
McKillops Bridge
Hicks Camping Area
Timbarra River
Dogs Grave
Dargo River
Blue Rag
Talbotville
Wonnangatta
Bluff Hut
Craigs Hut
FollowupID: 554646

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:21

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:21
Continuing on in a similar theme to the trip you are initially going on I'd suggest restocking in Mansfield then south to Jamieson, up Mt Terrible and along the ridge to Matlock camping at Woods Point. Spend a day looking at some of the mining history in the area then continue over German spur, Lazarini's to Mt Skene then down to Wrens flat camping at Mitchells.
This leads to the Slate mine, Sheepyard flat then through Doughty's to Sawmill Settlement, up over Mt #3 camping at Sheepyard Flat. Next day up the King River & Staircase to Lake Cobbler. Across to Abbeyard camping along the Buffalo river.
Up to Mt Selwyn, Mt Murray along the Jeep track to the Hotham Rd finishing off around Bright. Mount Buffalo is worth some time walking and exploring the sites too. Beechworth for some history and one of the better Bakery's in Oz then head for home.
This route is of an intermediate standard, has allot of interesting sites & plenty of great views but can be somewhat hard when it rains in places. Like your itinerary it would pay to have a chainsaw, good all terrain or better tyres, a snorkel as well as suitable recovery gear for travelling solo.
Rooftop maps are the best for navigating & finding campsites & the CFA fire map book has all the topographic detail needed in one package.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 554666

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:54
Hiya Crackles

Was up at Wrens Flat a few weeks ago when 38 degrees,their logging on the road down there so be CAREFUL ...

Now when you hit the first bridge and their is a river crossing beside it (coming from Jamieson),The second bridge i managed to find a deeper hole to the left of it for a swim but mostly shallow...Is their anywhere else nearby where their is a waterhole you know of ?????..We did not go any further past the second bridge went back to Grannies Flat to camp a night ...

Oh and BEWARE of Hitler at the Jamieson Caravan Park ..

Might look at doing the trip you suggested myself !

Cheers
FollowupID: 554685

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:20

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:20
Not sure on the water holes currently particually as many High Country streams have changed their coarse due to flooding following the fires. Headed over Mt Skene on the weekend & there is extensive logging everywhere recovering dead trees, so yes watch out for log trucks in the dust. Most truck routes will have signs showing which UHF channel to monitor & KM signs along the way where they broadcast their location. When near just get off the road!
Hitlers not too bad at the caravan park if you follow the rules ;-)) I think they've had a few noisy motor bike riders causing trouble in the past so are a bit trigger happy now to ensure the tranquility.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 554694

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:35

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:35
Hi Crackles
I did a detailed reply about Hitler (nothing to do with motorbikes) But its gone awol ...

Heres my email if you want to chat about the area offline..A local took me to a really safe mine..Apparantly has three levels,only did half way through the second level..Missus was starting to crap her pants lol..So we turned around..

He only showed me the safe ones,well as safe as you can get.. !

Cheers

warfer69 at gmail dot com
FollowupID: 554804

Reply By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:03
Hiya Carlin if you give your email i can send you a pdf file of whats happening in Mansfield in march.....
AnswerID: 289452

Sponsored Links