Recharging Waeco RAPS 36

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:01
ThreadID: 54957 Views:9912 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My new Waeco RAPS 36 AGM is fully charged at 12.9v (so I believe). In April it's going away with me to Birdsville and back and will be used to power my 40L Waeco fridge/freezer overnight. I'm away for two weeks, have access to 240 volts every night but will basically rely on my Pajero recharging the battery as I drive during the day. On Day 5 of the trip I've got a 2 nighter at Birdsville and can charge the battery overnight on 240 volts with the Mobitronic 5 amp inverter - EPS 816A.

My questions are:

Will the alternator in my vehicle fully recharge the RAPS 36?

Will the Inverter, operating from 240v fully recharge the RAPS 36?

..or do I need a dedicated battery charger to fully do the job and how many amps rating do I need?

Anyone who has used the Waeco Cool Power pack, your extra advice would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: EaglePatrol - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:49

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:49
Holden4th

Did a 5 week stint in the Kimberley last year with a 2nd series Pajero, 40L Engel and Waeco Raps 36.

Started off using the raps overnight but soon changed to running the unit directly from the car where the stop was an overnighter and several hours on the road next day. Used the RAPS also only from bedtime till dawn ( Rather than from Stop till Start) to reduce draw.
I found the car charging of the raps disappointing (might be my set up) but it did buy us a couple of extra nights between charging.
I have not tried inverter charging I used an Auto Charger on 240v supply. This needed a good 8Hrs to get the battery 'full'.
Only did a 240V volt charge 5 times however , and used 80W solar panel when we stopped for more than one day.

We used the engel as fridge, ambient temps high 30's - Low 40's most days.

The Engel also continued to run when the voltage dropped below 11.5. I think the weaco might cutout best check this.
AnswerID: 289802

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:11

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:11
So what you're saying is that when you stopped you used the starter battery to run the fridge for 4-5 hours then plugged in the RAPS 36 when you went to bed? I've got an N70 battery in my Paj, but I don't know how many amp hours it has - I'd guess about 80. This is a standard lead acid battery and I'd worry a bit about running it down for the 4-5 hour stint.

Some more specific details about how you did this would be really appreciated. I'm going to carry a battery charger with me that I'll use in Birdsville where we're staying two nights at the pub. This should keep the RAPS up and running I hope.

What I will do is report back to the forum on how it went.
AnswerID: 290095

Sponsored Links