OziExplorer indiscriminate spikes in plot trails?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 16:59
ThreadID: 5502 Views:1813 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Using a OziExplorer, Laptop, GPS combination in a vehicle & getting spikes in plot trail that shoot off 10,000kms (or some huge distance) & return all the time???
Anyone had this problem or know of a fix! The gps isn't loosing fix as the trail on the GPS is perfect. Garmin GPS, Toshiba 8000, rs232 serial comms, v3.95.2 OziExplorer (happens on 3.85 - 3.90 etc versions). Happens stationary or on the move at various times - somedays no probs, other times goes nuts?
Any feedback gratefully received.

DJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:31
DJ,

I also have the same problem running version 3.90.4i. I used to think it was only when I started the car, but it seems to happen at anytime. Sometimes I can go weeks without it happening and on some trips I can get it quite a few times. I usually just end up manually editing the track file in order to get rid of the spikes.

I suspect it maybe a satelite lock issue, but who know!!!!

Regards

Dave
AnswerID: 22799

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:56

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:56
Why not ask on the oziexplorer website?????????????????????????????????
AnswerID: 22801

Reply By: Rob - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:17
This is probably caused by a phenomenon known as multipath error. Briefly, GPS receivers work by receving satellite signals and measuring how long they take to arrive, which is a very tiny amount of time. The receiver assumes the signal has travelled directly to it.

If the signal bounces off objects then it takes longer to get to the receiver, and may be received twice. This confuses the receiver, usually temporarily, and is often seen as weird speed spikes in the maximum speed, or bizarre locations.

hth

--
Robert
http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/
AnswerID: 22811

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 22:56
Yeh, I noticed this just recently.
At the time I was periodically saving the plot trail for good measure, and ended up with heaps of these direct lines back to probably where I last saved it.
I stopped saving it till I shut down the machine each night, and the problem stopped. Only thing is one must start a new plot each time one starts up; ie, can't append to the original.
Don't recall this happening on earlier versions. I use the latest v3.95.
Check out the OziExplorer forum on Yahoo, there might be a thread.
Cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 22839

Sponsored Links