Anyone got some good wiring diagrams for their electric setup to share?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 23:49
ThreadID: 55027 Views:2952 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm just about to start planning out my additional wiring to my GU, which will include 2 rear power panels, fridge socket (all to the back), amp&volt meter (x2 for both batteries), 2 extra power sockets in the 2nd row seats (w/switches), wired uhf hheld chargers (w/switches) and a wired charger for my Maglite.... (+ laying out for the future HF to be installed)... and might as well lay it out for the 5 roof lights to be mounted as well...

.. wondered if anyone had some detailed wiring diagrams of their setup showing the cables (& types), power distribution panels etc..

.. and yes; its been ages since I played around with these things, so thought I ask before I got cracking and did the wrong thing. ;-)

Would appreciate any pointers...

Thanks!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:37

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:37
Jeez jskogsta,
If you get that lot wet you're going to end up looking like Yahoo Serious........... LOL

Cheers Wayne.

PS I'm intersested to see what happens with this post.
W.
AnswerID: 289951

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:08

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:08
Yeah, that could indeed be interesting... nothing ventured, nothing gained! ;-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555276

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:28

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:28
Every vehicle's aftermarket wiring is unique and I don't know whether there will be anybody that can specifically answer your question.

The main thing is to use the appropriate sized cable and circuit breakers/fuses.

Lay it all out logically..... I would be running a quite heavy cable from the 2nd battery to the cargo bay area and then use a multi-fuse board (Narva make ones with 4,6,8 and 10 fuses capacity). From there you run the required smaller cables to the various accessories, outlets etc.

One suggestion though.....as far as the voltmeter etc is concerend. Because you won't be watching these meters constantly, why not use a single meter and install a switch on it so you can toggle between the 2 batteries? That is what I have done and it works very well, less expensive for the switch that a 2nd gauge.

Roachie
AnswerID: 289980

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:48

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:48
Roachi,

True; was just looking for some general ideas and inputs on what others have done. ;-) Just makes it a bit easier to get started I recon ..

.. and agree on the cabling .. did some searching, and I think I've ended up with "DUAL BATTERY & ANDERSON PLUG WIRE - 50AMP 2 CORE CABLE". Should do the trick I recon .. run that to the back of the vehicle ..

.. then to your point; run that to a fused power distribution panel, somewhat like the what you're mentioning above. From there power to the different outlets.

Good point re a switch for the 2 batteries. Will give that a thought. ;-)

Thanks for the pointers...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555357

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:51

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:51
jskogsta,

I'm in the process of putting a switch panel in my 100s - going to have the switch for the rear light, winch controls and cut-off and an amp meter/volt meter to monitor fridge battery.

I tried the below site and ordered a switch panel to my design - US$45 delivered, I think someone on here directed me to them. They seem pretty good to deal with.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Just download their basic CAD program, doodle away, and hit send. Looks pretty smick.

Tim

AnswerID: 289986

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:50

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:50
Great stuff! That's smick indeed... pretty nifty and surprisingly inexpensive... comparatively .. got some ideas. Many thanks for pointing me in that direction. ;-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555358

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:58

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:58
Hi
I have a kit for a GU in the mail from Derek (ABR - advertiser on the site) I should have a play with it in 2 weeks when I get home, it isn't as complex as yours, but will consist of a 'smart' relay controlling a 'dumb' relay (this will allow an override for jumpstart and winching etc), battery tray, moniter with switch between the 2 batteries, heavy cabling to the rear, where there will be a junction box with heavy wires to an anderson plug (trailer battery charging), and a couple of plugs into the rear left of the cargo area.

The cable leangths were measured up as well as I could, and I'll try to take my time on the installation taking care to note what cables shold be a little shorter or longer etc and bake that info available (with photo's etc) to come up with some sort of standard system people can use....

I will post when done

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 289988

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:00

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:00
shold = should, bake = make......sorry
FollowupID: 555287

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:57

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:57
Yeah; seen the ABR site. In fact some really cool stuff there that got me thinking.

What cable have you landed on? I found some previous postings on this site that referenced his "DUAL BATTERY & ANDERSON PLUG WIRE - 50AMP 2 CORE CABLE" (link) as being good and fit for purpose. Thinking about buying 10 meters or so of that cable to run to the back of the vehicle... then connect that to a power distribution panel (+maybe a t-leg for the mid 2nd row console). Then run cables from there to the different outlets.

Re "'smart' relay controlling a 'dumb' relay"; what kind of relay are you using? One of his as well?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555364

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:57

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:57
I haven't got the exact cable specs with me at the moment, but it looks good and heavy duty in the pics....

I have put a pic in my rig profile, and as you can see in the picture, it is one of Derek's relay setups, with a manual switch set up onto the dumb solenoid for winching etc (during winching, the terminal voltages go below 12 and can trip the smart solenoid into isolating the 2 batteries) The rear junction was to be fitted in the rear quarter panel, but it may end up behind the rear bumper (soon to be dual carrier)

Derek seems to have a good reputation on this site, and the limited dealings I have had with him so far have been excellent.

I will take a heap of photo's during the installation etc, and post it when finished.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 555378

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:49

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:49
Hi jskogsta,

When I up date my member profile... as time permits, I will post some pics of a project that (was supposed to go in the 60) will now go in the 80.

Cheers,
Wayne.

PS. Who the heck is Yahoo Serious anyway??

AnswerID: 290138

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 13:08

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 13:08
Btw; googled around today, and found a few details re 12V camper trailer setups here:

http://www.campertrailers.org/tech_tips.htm

Check the 12Volt section if you're interested ..

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555706

Sponsored Links