If you get Lost....how do you get found?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:21
ThreadID: 55030 Views:3965 Replies:8 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Ive just finished talking to a mate who regularly co-ordinates searches.
Rather than say how bloody stupid they are and what they did wrong, (like I do)he offered to log on as me and explain what they look for and how to increase your odds at getting found.

Shiit can always happen? but as long as you do the right thing when it does you dont come out dead, or looking and feeling like a Goose.

So rather than hanging shiit on people I thought Id do something constructive????
Hes gone to bed now, but in the next couple of days Ill let him loose with another side of the missing person thing????????????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:50

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:50
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289954

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 02:04

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 02:04
G'day Hairy,

When my better half tells me to get lost........ getting found isn't a part of the conversation.

On a ( slightly) more serious note.......

On one of our trips away, we had an under bonnet fire, for seven years the wiring modification had been all good, untill now.
Didn't have HF or Satphone.
We had .... Food, water, shelter.
Rigged the 27mhz CB and was able to talk briefly with a station in Queensland. Made a sign to wave at train drivers, rail line wasn't far from our location. Kept a lookout for passing tourists.
The station in Queensland contacted their local police, who contacted the WA police, then local police and the CALM (DEC) to confirm our location. Our children at home had been advised of our loction and confirmed this when contacted.
Police arrived six hours later and carted us to civilisation.
RAC WA were contacted, VERY GOOD SERVICE, vehicle picked up, taken to a workshop ( contractor was making phone calls to find an available repairer) vehicle repaired and we went back to enjoying the rest of our holiday.
We prepared the best we could and at the end of it all, we servived. Others have not been so .... fortunate. Ilook forward to comments from others.

Cheers,
Wayne.
PS The police had a Satphone, I called the 13... number and ended up talking with the NRMA. The question from their operator, that worried me the most was...... "is your location near the NSW WA border??"
Fortunately the phone battery died before I could give their operator a coarse course in Australian geography. :-0
Wayne.
AnswerID: 289957

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 05:40

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 05:40
LOL do the bits in between really matter :)))

FollowupID: 555275

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:46

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:46
Hi Al,
You're being more than a little cheeky today. I'm sure that the people living there would consider it matters.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 555411

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 07:41

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 07:41
Take a deck of cards and start playing patience/sloitaire.

Within minutes some stranger will lean over your shoulder and say "put the red nine on the black ten".

AnswerID: 289967

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:55

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:55
why are you at work putting the final touches to that offroad camper so we can see some pics
FollowupID: 555307

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:22

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:22
HaHaHa....LOL
Or drop your dacks and start backing one out....your sure to hear someone coming through the scrub.
FollowupID: 555314

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:18

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:18
Hairy ,
The bride gave me an epirb as a birthday present . My mates reckon she has taken the battery out ........maybe I should test it .
Willie .
AnswerID: 289972

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:50

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:50
I wouldn't worry unless she employs someone else to take the garbage out :))
FollowupID: 555305

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:01

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:01
Hi Willie,
Have you checked that it isn't a Tazar in disguise??

What a blast. LOL.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 555448

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:22

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:22
Hi Hairy,
I look forward to your mate's input as you say its easy to put shyte on others when they stuff up but circumstances may dictate their problem as much as ignorance.

Bring him on...
AnswerID: 289975

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:45

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:45
We have a safety pack that we take when 4x4ing or bush walking.

The pack contains 2 x Eflares, 2 x 5w LED tourches, 5w GME UHF handheld, GPS equiped PLB (EPIRB), 2 x Hi vis vests, 2 x boxes of matches and a first aid kit.

We ulso take a bluetooth GPS mouse that can link to our Next G phone turning it into a full fledged GPS.

In the vehicle we have HF radio and satellite phone.

Regards Rchard

AnswerID: 289982

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:48

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:48
Richard, is any of that stuff edible? ;-)))
FollowupID: 555303

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:52

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:52
You can live for 3 weeks without food. But not very well :))
FollowupID: 555306

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:59

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 09:59
We carry HF radio, EPIRB and the V Sheet out of my boat, must take my flares in future. In addition we have 2 weeks supply of food and water.
In terms of people getting lost on walks it seems to me 99% of the time they have left the walking track and got lost trying to get back on it again. Example the recent incident with the female german tourist at Kings Canyon.
I think it is time that the authorities made it compulsory for hikers to carry an EPIRB similar to boaties who venture offshore. If that lady had of been carrying one what would it have saved the emergencies services in $ and time in locating her.
FollowupID: 555309

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16
jeepthing,
The French sheila they found near the Canyon yesterday did exacly that....wandered off the track.
If she just sat down as soon as she realised she was lost they probably would have picked her up within hours.
Instead she wrote a sign in the dirt "LOST" ( no shiit sherlock!!!)and kept walking.
Her walk was registered with the rangers and a friend new where she was supposed to be going so she new someone would come to help.
Instead about 40 searches, chopper, plane and motorbikes later they track her down.
Apparently she is an expiereienced bush bushwalker....I reackon she'll have to put that down to an expierience.
FollowupID: 555312

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 13:02

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 13:02
Quote "Richard, is any of that stuff edible? ;-)))" Bware if they can't find us before we die from starvation there is something wrong in the world that is out of our control.

Food and water isn't going to help the searchers find you any faster.....unless they are lost too and starving!
FollowupID: 555331

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:55

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:55
In france they probably don't have real bush she's probably use to walking through the bush in their botanical gardens!!
It's us taxpayers who have to eventually foot the bill for other people's stupidity!!
FollowupID: 555376

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:10

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:10
Hairy, in my mis spent youth I participated in a few S@R episodes and co ordinated the communications for many more. These were not remote area searches, but people lost in the bush.
First , there's a distinction between being rescued and being retreived. A live person is rescued, a dead body is retreived (as is a non living thing eg car).
Most of the rescues were due to a number of fortunate factors, knowing the general area to search, finding something that had been dropped etc. Plus the person who's lost actually knowing that they were lost ! This meant (on some occasions) finding shelter, water etc and being aware of possible rescue attempts. But each case is vastly different, as circumstances alter cases.
If you are aware that someone might be searching for you, its very different to not being aware.
A positive mental approach is a common factor in survival.
There are lots of survival handbooks, a good one is the WA police one which is online.
But surviving, and being found can be different things.

I become angry with people who don't take any precautions and get into strife. I know common sense can't be legislated, but it can help.
One thing often forgotten is that in the case of a ground search in a remote area, the local police may co opt station personnel etc.
Their preparation is often hampered by lack of time, and this can put the rescuers at as much risk as those who are lost.
AnswerID: 290000

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:35

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:35
Gday Footy,
Spot on,
If people always let someone know where they were going and roughly when they would be back, and stayed still when they realised they were lost it would make things a lot easier.
This sheila yesterday left signs like "lost and "HELP", but nothing to say which direction she was heading????
Her walk was even registered so she new they would come looking.
And how easy would a smokey fire be to spot form a plane or chopper????
Expierienced bushwalker my arrse!!!
Maybe if people were asked to contribute to the search cost they might find some of that commonsense?????

Cheers
FollowupID: 555316

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:44

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:44
Mate, have you seen the bush they walk in France? LOL

Kinda reminds me of the German guy on the CSR a few years ago. He thought there would be a motoring depot at least every fifty km or so.

I've said many times over that it's a wonder that we don't have to search for hundreds of o/s visitors every year rather than just a few.
Having said that, there are some o/s visitors that can put me to shame with their knowledge of Australia and it's history.
FollowupID: 555318

Follow Up By: SoloGirl - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52
I've seen the same things happen in Africa with European tourists.
They have no idea of the terrain, climate etc but they think it's the same as "bush walking" where they live.
Just driving a vehicle on roads in Namibia kills scores of mainly German tourists each year.
FollowupID: 555330

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:24

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:24
Been on plenty of searchs . What makes our job easy is a smokey fire , a mirror flash , or the survivor on a line feature . Most walkers carry a day pack . If they threw in a box of matches , a can of food to use as a mirror , and a compass they are prepared . If you don't carry a day pack , the other solution is a belt pocket knife pouch containing a magnesium and flint fire liter with a miniature compass glued to the magnesium . You can wear that for years without it being a nuissance , but if ever you are caught out you have tha main essentials .My pouch also has a flat blade shaped like a spear head for scraping the flint or for making a spear .
AnswerID: 290199

Sponsored Links