End of the month a good time to order new vehicle? You bet

Submitted: Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 21:38
ThreadID: 55059 Views:2916 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well a couple of weeks of research, deep thought and financial calculations culminated in a couple of days of negotiation. I ended up with the two local Toyota dealers competing heavily for my business and both wanting to do a deal before the end of the month. I ordered a new 70 Series 4.5V8 TD GLX Cab Chassis yesterday.

I think I ended up with an excellent deal (for a Toyota). Over $8,000 off RRP for the package and a very good trade in price on the Hilux. They will hold the trade in price till the end of August as long as I don't add more tha 15,000KM. I'm free to sell privatetely beforehand, but having a reasonable trade-in price to fall back on is a great safety net.

Not concerned about the 4 to 6 months delivery delay as we are heading for the NT for a fishing trip in a couple of weeks and don't plan on being back till August.

I'll get a GVM upgrade to 3,700KG (400 increase) before reg.

Also ordered a canopy for it today. They also were keen to make a sale before the end of the month and rang back this afternoon to look to do a deal. Got a reasonable deal there as well under the circumstances.

With the investment, this rig will need to last a loooooong time.

So if your looking for a new vehicle, wait till the end of the month, particularly in a historically slow sales month like Feb.

Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: warfer69 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 21:42

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 21:42
Good on Ya Norm ,ive done the same but with the Hilux,o4 model but very clean..

This will have to last me too..

Congrats once again..
AnswerID: 290120

Reply By: troopyman - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:55

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:55
Toyota work on a quota system and get a rebate from toyota depending how many cars the dealer sells . Never buy a car at the beginning of the month .
AnswerID: 290140

Reply By: mowing - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 23:10

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 23:10
Hi Norm, How do you get the GVM increased ie what do they do to the vehicle to make it stronger?

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 290144

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:42
Mark, I've posted the GVM info as an Answer, rather than a follow-up as others were interested as well. They pretty much replace all springs, shocks, UBolts etc. ARB also recommend castor bushes due to slight change in drive shaft angle.
FollowupID: 555524

Reply By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 00:00

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 00:00
Hey Norm, Well done.....mind you, It must be good to have more than one dealer in your town.....Howd yu up the weight ? Ive fitted airbags to "BRUTUS" but thats only for more weight but does not change the specs.

Cheers...........BIGDOGImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 290151

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:35

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:35
Nice looking rig Bigdog.Mine will be white too. I loved the Merlot Red, but, like my Bishop Blue Hilux, would show up the scratches from off roading too much.
I've given details on GVM upgrade in an Answer, rather than Follow-up since others asked about it as well.

Norm C
FollowupID: 555522

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:31

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:31
ARB and Lovell both have certified GVM upgrades for this vehicle. The modification and certification must be done before the vehicle is registered for compliance to be certified and the compliance plate fixed to the vehicle.
The Lovell upgrade is to 3,900KG (600KG increase). The ARB upgrade is to 3,700KG (400KG increase). It may be possible (don't know) to upgrade after registration, but no by the process I'm using.

The original payload is approx 1,300KG. So it increases to 1,700KG with ARB and 1,900KG with Lovell.

Fitting has to be by a certified fitter. Lovell have no certified fitters on the Gold Coast, so the vehicle would have to go to Brisbane. ARB are able to do it on the Gold Coast. Plus, I'm getting bullbar, sidebars, steps and Warn winch from ARB. I've arranged with the dealer for the vehicle to go to ARB for all those mods before it is registered.

The suspension mods result in about a 2 inch lift with no load, but at full load, it returns to about standard hight. I'm told the ride is a bit stiff without a load on, but when a few hundred KG, it is fine. My canopy, drawer unit, bar work, winch, extra battery etc will give a permanent load of close to 400KG, even before I start packing for trips.

I have Firestone airbags on the Hilux, which are great. Have not decided for the L/C yet, but they can go on later if I think they are needed.
AnswerID: 290201

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:54

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:54
Pity you can't wait until the end of next month, then the next and the next. End of Financial years Sales are 'traditionally' the best time to buy - if any time can be the best time to buy!
AnswerID: 290213

Reply By: Member - sparra - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:26

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:26
good onya norm,looking forward to see it with all the gear on it.
i was thinking a bit about upgrading mine to the new one but might wait ,heard somewhere a completly new cab chassis is coming out in couple of years.
what type of canopy are you getting?

all the best for the n.t. trip.

cheers, sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290218

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:59

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:59
Sparra, I originally planned to wait till they bring out a 'real' new model, but I need a vehicle with bigger payload before then. I looked into getting a 3 year old (approx) 4.2TD, but with their high resale value, I would have saved only $12,000 to $15,000. A new vehicle with warranty, more power and torque etc is worth more than that to me.

Canopy will come from Roscos:
Roscos Canopies

FollowupID: 555543

Sponsored Links