River Murray

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:42
ThreadID: 55077 Views:1939 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There is an online petition regarding the River Murray

The Federal and State Governments are doing nothing but lip-service.

Go to the following URL and have your say. Tell the government what you think.

http://rivermurray.com/

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Garbutt - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:05

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:05
Done Steve thanks for the reminder.

GB
AnswerID: 290226

Reply By: Jayco Jockey - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:45

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:45
signed it.
from my understanding the only thing stopping progress is the Victorian Premier and sadly, until he changes his mind, lip service is all we'll get.
AnswerID: 290231

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:52

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:52
Ta Steve
AnswerID: 290232

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 13:10

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 13:10
Isn't signing a petition "doing nothing but lip-service" just like the Polly's ;-)
I'm yet to see any petition make much real difference in actually changing the way things get done particually if there is no election in the wind. Actions speak much louder than words, even 100,000 of them.
By the respones the Crow Eaters certainly aren't happy :-(

Cheers Craig.
AnswerID: 290234

Reply By: Louie the fly - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 14:48

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 14:48
We've been trying to help the Murray for years (30 + of them). Signing petitions falls on deaf ears. For years we (I mean my family that use the river) have been planting red gums, removing non native fish and plants, delaying erosion by reducing the effects that our boats have on the banks, etc, etc. We also pay a levy. But for what? No action! Sign the petition anyway - it can't hurt to do one more thing. Maybe the F--king pollies should sign it.

I'm passionate about our river and it really p*/sses me off when they continually sit back and do nothing.
AnswerID: 290239

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:45

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:45
Mr Fly ,

That is really great what you are doing .Maybe others have seen what you do and have started to do the same . Hope so anyway. What general area are you in ?

Cheers ,

Willie
FollowupID: 555590

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:51

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:51
My family has been holidaying in the Swan Reach / Nildottie area for well over 30 years now. These days we have a holiday house just up river from Big Bend.The Murray

About 25 years ago a few of us got in touch with a few Govt. agencies and asked what we could do; plant trees, get rid of stuff, erosion control, etc. At the time I was working for Dept. of Primary Industries and had access to lots of info. We learned a lot about the ecology of the river which we now pass on to our kids.

I reckon we have planted over a thousand red gums in areas that are subjected to flooding seasonal during. The idea apparently is to try and reduce land salinity during the drier times. We thin out masses of natural seedlings and replant them - no cost to anyone, just a bit of hard work. Some die but some go on to become good size trees. We also clean up the glass and other rubbish that gets left behind on the banks by some irresponsible campers.

Yes, quite a few people do their bit with bank retention, revegetation and so on. Unfortunately, with the low water below Lock 1, many significant red gums are dying and falling into the river. Not only are we losing important trees that help the river survive, they now pose major navigation hazards. We really neeed to plant more trees at the waters edge to replace them. BTW, at the moment our level is -0.37m. The normal pool level is +0.92m.

Sorry about the long winded answer but as I said earlier, we are passionate about the state of the river. We can all do our bit, we don't have to wait for the scrot's in government to do something.

Cheers, Louie
FollowupID: 555596

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 20:02

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 20:02
Louie, we visited Echuca in Sep 07 and were dismayed at what we saw. Previous visit had been about 1989.
All of Aus. needs to get off their backsides over this issue, it is not a weather or global warming issue etc... but a bloody minded Gov't that only bows to the almighty $$$$$. Just Like they stuffed another Aus. icon the Snowy, this is gonna happen, unless we mere peasants stand up and fight. Let the Murray, and the Snowy run, just like the Franklin in Tas. Remember that one???
Good onya Louie...you and all down there are legends...keep it going mate.
Fred & Christine.
FollowupID: 555619

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:46

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:46
Signed sealed and sent
Thanks
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290248

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:59
I did it and I also emailed it to a bunch of people .
Thanks ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 290256

Sponsored Links