New tent

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 55092 Views:2689 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm sure this has been rehashed in here somewhere before and will be again but here goes l am new to this and have 2 small children 4 and 7 l am looking to buy a canvas tent we love our fishing boating ect the camping in the lounge and shed just aren't enough any more just going to spread into camping for real.
I am looking at a tourer 10 oz trail or something similar as im sure at times l will be putting this tent up on my own as the wife will see the opportunity to get some quite time at home to good to pass.
Am l better to go with a cabin which l presume is more difficult to put up on your own or are the tourers fine if there is four of us and still have some storage room. Any advice would be great.
Thanks for reading and happy camping.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:15

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:15
We have a Black Wolf Turbo plus 300 and it was worth the money. It has the extra room at the back which fits our dble swag and porta cot, then the front part fits the 2 single swags and planty of boxes / bags with clothing.....

I can put it up myself and it only weighs 19kg I think in the bag, so I can carry it after a few rums!. I can put it up myself but usually Nath does while Im looking after the kids.

They are easy to set up, put down, get in the bag....we have it fully up in under 5 minutes with the back section done and thats with just Nath doing it...

Had a look at those tourers...cannt remember the brand..coleman???....but stuck with black wolf because we have owned them before....!!!

you get what ya pay for....

hopoe this helps!

Laura
AnswerID: 290293

Reply By: Leroy - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 23:50

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 23:50
I bought an Oz Trail Tourer 10 Plus recently. It's got heaps of room being 3mx4m, easy to set up with the centre pole (no spring centre pole like the Freedom I also have) and takes about 5 mins if you work quickly. The only other pole work is for the rear section. For $400 from BCF how can you go wrong. It's no Freedom tent quality wise (no YKK zips, strong sandfly proof mesh etc) but bang for buck you can't go wrong in my opinion and would suit a family that goes camping once and a while.

Leroy
AnswerID: 290318

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 23:55

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 23:55
I just put some links on thread 55084.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 290320

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:09

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:09
I have an Oztent (largest, RV5) which I think, is an excellent multi purpose tent.

If travelling alone, It can be set up in minutes, It takes longer to get of the roofrack, than to put up!.
If there is no/light wind, 4 pegs on each corner, for those hit and run one night camp's, or If you are staying for awhile and you have have some-one with you who MAY have standards that exceed what you would normally do, put up the whole shabang, It takes longer of course but at least you have the flexibilty of quick and fast, or the more highbrow.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found.
At close to 1K (plus the extras) They are not cheap, but Quaility remains long after you forget how much you payed.
BIG negative, they are close to 2 meters long and NEED a roofrack
Shane
AnswerID: 290355

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:57

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:57
Your kids are getting to an age, where they will enjoy/appreciate having their own tent to sleep in.

We used to take 2 tents away. The bigger tent was quick to erect, and fitted the whole family for a one night stop. And a pop up 3 man tent suits the kids for the longer stays.
AnswerID: 290365

Sponsored Links