Canvas tents

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:07
ThreadID: 55114 Views:5312 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wish to buy a new canvas tent - heading into Simpson and other remotes areas - should we buy the Freedom Minit Camper, the Outback Tourer or an Oz tent. Already have a Howling moon but if ice on roof top takes sometime to get it back into shape to put away. What are your suggestions please????
Thanks
Jinki and Harry
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RalfR - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:14

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:14
Jinki & Harry,

I have used an Oz Tent (RV5)?? maybe. It is fantastic to put up and down, very quick, one person only required. The framework is very stong and works well. The canvas and fitting are high quality. The only problem we had was water filling the OUTER awning during a storm. I think they have redisigned this feature to have a peak such that the water runs off. The inner tenet area stayed strong and dry during a big storm in the Grampiand that trashed a few caravan awnings and filled a few tents.

The only downside was the size when transporting, needs to be put on a roof rack or a trailer, not generally a big deal.

The tent is good for 2 people, but a bit squeezy for 2 + 2.

Haven't used the others.

Cheers
AnswerID: 290397

Reply By: George_M - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:49

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:49
J&H

We use a Coi tent - 8'6" square. If we're in a hurry we just use the centre pole - it goes up in well under ten minutes. If we're staying in one spot for a while we use the "A" frame - this gives access to the whole floor of the tent, as it replaces the centre pole. I like this tent because it allows us to stand up in it, and it's practically bullet proof.

They come in a larger size (10'6" square, I think), and are made by a number of AU and NZ manufacturers (Freedom/Southern Cross).

Good luck!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 290405

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:56

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:56
I have a COI Primus centre pole tent. Had it for years and its been through the simpson and out to the centre. It has been through some good storms and I love it. I have the 3m x 3m which has plenty of room for three of us. They say it will sleep 4 but its a bit tight. They are on the cheaper end of the market as well compared to the southern cross and freedom. Kangaroo tent city has a brand called Great Outdoors I think. Very budget priced but OK except the floor which is the woven chit. You could always have vinyl put in though. I think they start at 299 dollars. The other place I have seen them quite reasonably priced is deals direct dot com

Try this linkCentre Pole Touring Tent
AnswerID: 290407

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 16:41

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 16:41
For touring with 2 people the Minit Camper is hard to beat for speed of setup/packup & is of an excellent quality that will last for years. I replaced my original family tourer after 24 years with an Outback tourer and would say in hind sight some of the extra features on it are just gimmicks (clear plastic window) & the broader base on it gives no additional usable floor space as the walls tend to sag and touch you. If you need the bigger floor space then the family tourer is definately the go.
Oz tents aren't too bad either but they are longer so usually need a ute or roof rack to pack.
Cheers Craig........
AnswerID: 290415

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 18:39

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 18:39
Thanks all, for your helpful comments. Harry seems to like the Minit Camper/Outback Tourer so we will go and check that out.

As mentioned in original note, have a Howling Moon, which is in extremely good condition, has been kept under cover, and has been fantastic for camping the past few years, however, age seems to have crept up on us, and is now harder to get up and down on rooftop of Patrol when erecting and putting down.

Will look at selling and if anyone is interested, we are on the south west coast of Victoria - the Great Ocean Road - please make contact via email.
Thanks and cheers
Jinki
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 290438

Sponsored Links