Ozpod- Double or Single for RV5?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 20:13
ThreadID: 55153 Views:12044 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have the RV5 with the extra panels. For those who have had first hand experience, is the single Ozpod large enough to put the tent, panels and a few extra poles in it? There is limited information around, and nothing on the Oztent site itself.
The images are poor quality, but thats all I have found so far.
Single:

Double:

At present, I just transport the tent on the roof racks, supported along the length with a board when I need to do so. Later on, I want to do the loop around Australia with it, so would like to have the tent a bit more secure, away from rain, dust and light fingers.
Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:05

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:05
I have the single Ozpod to transport my RV4 and apart from a collapsable rake nothing else will fit in. I still put the tent into the zip up cover, but even if I didn't do that I don't think it would give me any more room.

I would have to say if you want to transport the extra panels (which I also have) then you would need to go to the double Ozpod. I have to carry my panels in the car or tied to the rooftrack.

I wish the double had been available when I bought mine, as I would have got that.

Go the double.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 290665

Reply By: kennym - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:18

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:18
I have the RV4 with side and front pannels, and the fly as well. I find the Ozpod great for the tent, being easy to put in and nice and secure (you can put a pad lock on it if you like). However, I only have the single Ozpod and there is no chance of the side + front pannel fiting in along with the tent. I suggest the double would be the go if you have room on your roof rack.
Ken
AnswerID: 290669

Reply By: CJ - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 22:26

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 22:26
Col,

I have an oztent, and another in our party which travelled 10,000km through the central deserts and the canning. Neither of us had a pod. Although travelling in convoy dust and rain, the oztent stayed dry and dust free by just being in the zipper bag.

Therefore, in answer to your question as to keep it clean, my suggestion is that you have no need for the pod.

Secondly, please note that both vehicles with the oztents had the ARB roof racks. The oztents were therefore properly supported. I assume that this is another reason for the pod? If that is the case I have no experience in carrying the tent on bars but would suggest that it may suffer damage as the frame is light and bendable.

This brings to your question on single v double. If it is to support the tent, why not go single, have more room on your racks for other stuff, and pack the sides somewhere else in your cabin? The sides fold up nice and flat and are not that bulky.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Question - where do you get the pod from, and if I may ask how much for the single pod? I sold my previous truck with the roofrack and now have to consider carrying the tent on bars.

All the best,
CJ

AnswerID: 290685

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:31

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:31
I have an RV 5 with deluxe sides and front panel and can get it all in its carry bag.
You mentioned you will going away later, wouldn't it be better to get a full sized roof rack?
I don't know how much the pods, are but it will have limited use, where as a roof rack can be used for other bulky things.
If security is of concern, I put the bag (zipper) face down( also helps with waterproofing), and ran thru the big handles a pushbike locking chain, you know the ons with the number combination, and chain it to the rack, most thieves are opportunistic and if the have a go and find resistance they will more likely leave it
Shane
AnswerID: 290709

Reply By: Col_and_Jan - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:43

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:43
Thanks for the replies. It seems the best way to go is to get the double. I was thinking that I could use any extra space in the pod for extra poles etc if required.
The price was $650 for single and $950 for double, so they are not cheap. Its not a purchase that you run out and do without some thought. Those with the pod seem happy with their purchase. Only found them at one place so far:
Discount Camping
I have carried the tent on a long board over the roof racks to support it. Also carry a security chain (plastic covered wire with a lock that adjusts for length. With the tent bag upside down, I havent had any problems, except for a little moisture because of rain.
Its a pity the Ozpods weren't a bit cheaper!
Again, thanks for the replies.
Col
AnswerID: 290779

Follow Up By: Col_and_Jan - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:45

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:45
I have had a reply from Oztents about the pods. There are three sizes available now.
Standard: $499
Medium: $599
Double: $799
They recommend the medium for the RV5 plus panels. Much better price. Now just have to find a place that supply them locally.

Seems like I'm doing their advertising for them. Maybe I should get a commission!
Col
FollowupID: 556619

Sponsored Links