MapSend Or Oziexplorer?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:10
ThreadID: 5516 Views:2092 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Magellan Map 330 and currently run the W.A. Street Send Software and was wondering if I should by the all of Australia (DiscoverAus) CD from Magellan as I presume it will be updated with all the latest Road maps and 4x4 Tracks! But I’m a bit reluctant to pay $250 for it; the other option is to use the Oziexplorer software? I would really appreciate some feedback on how easy/hard it is to use the Oziexplorer Software this will help me make my decision.Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:30
Matt, I am not familiar with MapSend, but have been using Ozi for about a year. So my comments aren't comparative. I found setting up Ozi for use on the laptop a little bit confusing at first, mainly because Windows is not my preferred OS. Once it is running, using it becomes a bit of a hobby of its own because of the richness of the software and what it can do, despite being Windows based. You can also become deeply involved in the discussion group, which provides 24 hour support (there'll be a user awake somewhere on the globe at all times). With Ozi, you can use use of the shelf maps like Auslig 1:250,000 ($99 from this site), the Hema maps (also from this site), or scan paper maps. Many people are using the MrSid satelleite images of earth as well. Oziexplorer opens a whole vista of mapping and navigational options for the casual user to the expert.
AnswerID: 22854

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:38

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:38
Mapsend is lacking in tracks and anything that is not a mainstream road as found in normal road atlas.
The other side there is no topo information on Mapsend and you have no idea what the terrian or vegetation is like.
The richness of information that can be had with OziExplorer and using the Natmap or other local digital or scanned maps is superior in every way. You get all the information of the countryside on the Natmap maps which are not on the Mapsend maps. Besides the cost of registering OziExplorer the whole of Australia maps from Natmap is only $99.00. You can get maps for Perth and Fremantle on CD for use with OziExplorer for $29.95 from the DOLA office in Perth.
OziExplorer and maps has become a hobby in itself to me and find it intresting and fascinating. You get to see and find out so much more in the area that you are driving or exploring.
AnswerID: 22864

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:06
Hi Matt,

We are using the Raster Maps and OziExplorer software. Raster maps on CD can be bought from this site and cover all of Aust and include Street Smart maps and some others. You can also scan your own maps and upload them. Just need to configure them correctly. We found OziExplorer a bit tricky to use at first but luckily we had help from a friend. Also seems like everyone is using Ozi so you can get plenty of help from the Ozi forum and other forums like this.

Be warned though...as others have said, it can be an addictive hobby (but at least its harmless, LOL). My husband is totally hooked at the moment. We didn't even own a GPS until about 6 weeks ago and he has already progressed to moving maps.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 22865

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:02

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:02
Melissa what areas does the street mart maps cover and where did you get them from can you recommend any other maps on cd rom to use with EO thanks
Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 15110

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:21

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:21
Hi Peter,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I've only just found out the answer to your questions.

StreetSmart Touring Maps cover most of regional WA and are available from DOLA or can be purchased and downloaded from their website:
StreetSmart

I think you can also get Perth Metro maps but we don't have these. We also have the Great Desert Trek maps from HEMA which I had a look at last night for the first time and they are excellent.

Hope this helps.

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 15749

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:18

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:18
Matt,
I had a few problems setting up the Oziexplorer software for whatever reason, I've since purchased the Magellan Meridian GPS and I've installed the mapsend software, for what I want it's fine, there are a lot of 4wd tracks on the maps I find the whole system to be user friendly, quite accurate as well, I hooked up my laptop and it all kicked in as it was supposed to, building routes and marking waypoints is all easy. As with anything there are pros and cons, for what I want it's great. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 22887

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:04
Matt, I concur with Bob and Melissa. I haven't used magellan (preferring Garmin GPS equipment), but Ozi does more than I could ever hope to master. There's a world-wide network of users, including those that have written some very useful utility applications to work with Ozi.

If you want to keep it simple, perhaps stick with the Magellan product. If you want to get something that offers amazing flexibility (and develop a new hobby), go for Ozi. BTW, in case you weren't aware, Ozi is an Australian product. Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22902

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:22
Matt, I have used Ozi for about 2 years on laptop with moving map & it's great , Have now progressed to using Ozi Ce on iPac PDA as i can mount it on the dash for our Gulf trip next week. Was worried about laptop on wife's lap as we have duel air bags. If you use Ozi you will need a laptop or PDA to view maps.

Regards Bob
3 Weeks till Gulf trip
AnswerID: 22906

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:38

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:38
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your really great replies I'll look at getting a copy of OziexplorerKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 22946

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:49

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:49
Make sure you buy it here.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15166

Reply By: Troopie - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:03

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:03
G'day All
I'm like Martyn - I looked at the Ozi option but eventually went with a Magellan Meridian Platinum and MapSend Software. I've found it does everything I need it to - I spend enough time in front of a computer at work so the hobby aspects of Ozi don't really interest me.

I knew buying the Magellan meant the mapping data wasn't really up to date compared to using Ozi - but so far all the tracks I frequent have been on it and the built in moving map means no lap-top or extra equipment required.

In relation to the new Discover Australia product replacing MapSend - if you already have a copy of MapSend you can update to Discover Australia for $99 direct from Magellan in WA.

Cheers
AnswerID: 23000

Sponsored Links