Alpine trip easter

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:56
ThreadID: 55166 Views:1498 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
can anyone suggest a route say starting at tom groggin fri morn and finishi mon afternoon ,have checked trek notes.Two vehicles fully equipped and experienced drivers that have been there before.Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:30

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:30
I supose a lot depends on where your home location is as to where you come out on the monday.

I am from ACT and start at Tom Groggin, cross the river and go up Davies Plains, uasually camp at Charlies Creek. Then down McCarthy's out Limestone onto Blackmountain Rd. South down Native Cat Tr. to Mosco Villa, camp. Through Swifts Creek and up the Haunted Stream, camp Dargo River.Up over Hotham to Omeo and back home via Corryong.
AnswerID: 290725

Reply By: 80seriescruiser - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:19

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:19
I went from Benambra to Tom Groggin and the Murray just before Christmas.

The Benambra Rd to Tom Groggin is the simplest and is really quite easy, you could nearly take a car across it.

The only tricky bit is going down to Tom Groggin but you can do it in 2WD if its dry, if it was wet it would get rather a problem.

If you go from Tom Groggin to Benambra, you will do the hardest bit in the first couple of km's and the rest is pretty easy driving.

Mt Pinnabar is a little more tricky but nothing to worry about if you have basic 4WD skills and a decent setup - cruiser, Patrol or similar.

Attempt only in the dry. You could do it in in the wet but much more difficult and would need greater skill and setup.
AnswerID: 290853

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:39
>The Benambra Rd to Tom Groggin is the simplest and is really quite
>easy, you could nearly take a car across it.

I assume you are not talking about Limestone Creek Rd and the Davies Plain track to journey from Benambra to TG because you _most certainly_ would not get a family car through that way.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556271

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:04

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:04
QUOTE Mt Pinnabar is a little more tricky but nothing to worry about if you have basic 4WD skills and a decent setup - cruiser, Patrol or similar END QUOTE

Any standard 4WD with good tyres will do those tracks.

Baz.
FollowupID: 556286

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:20

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:20
afaik there are only two tracks from Benambra to TG - one is via the Davies Plain and the other is via Mt Pinnabar.

I have done the Davies Plain track a number of times but have never taken the Mt Pinnabar route (incidentally, Mt Pinnabar is the highest point one can drive to in Victoria (or is it Australia?)).

I am a little confused by your posts: are you saying that the Mt Pinnabar route could almost be undertaken by a family car ("you could nearly take a car across it")?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 556382

Sponsored Links