Bad Tyre experience...Your say

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:42
ThreadID: 55167 Views:3035 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Recent comments on this wonderful site reveal that many are unhappy with tyre company back up in the event of a problem. Personallly I have shredded tyres from most manufacturers from my first trips to the Gulf in 1966 right through to the present day. Most events have been due to staking,cattle grids too fast or sharp rocks. I cant remember an experience that was the fault of the tyre, most were operator error. I would like to hear of any of your bad experiences where the tyre was to blame and the company turned the other way. Over to you...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:47

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:47
Done to death already.
Do an archive search for tyres and spend the next week reading the issues.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290734

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:57

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:57
Every topic has just about been covered in the Forum - if we all took your advice and just went to archives - then there would be no new posts - and this place would be very quiet. Is that what you want ?.......I'm sure David has no problem with newly opened posts that cover previous mentioned topics as it keeps this place alive and interesting , and not like a library

Considering you can not add to Locked topics - i can not see a problem opening a new one on previous mentioned topics with newer updated Information .

Boc

P.s sorry for the rant , just sick of the "check the archives its been done to death" Most people prefer a direct answer to a question rather than spend hours filtering through hundreds of old posts
FollowupID: 556275

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:27

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:27
"Most people prefer a direct answer to a question rather than spend hours filtering through hundreds of old posts"

If thats the case then let David discard the archive section of the forum if its not being used as designed it would save him lots of storage and lots of money.

I would suggest that David would prefer you to search first rather than add to the site storage required to support repeated questions on the same subject, thats why the search detail comes up when you start a new thread.

I would further suggest that the main reason people don't search is laziness, its easier to just ask the same question then to spend 5 Min's doing a search on the subject matter.

There are more threads on this subject than any other located within the archives, the Cooper chipping and failure issues have been done to death, MTR's not up to scratch the same, BFG AT's chipping and tread separation, The return to rags, My tyres are better than yours, I have never had tyre problems like you describe with my Coopers, The Cooper warranty is crap, Tell me about how good the Cooper warranty is or isn't etc etc.

I just searched on "Cooper Tyres" and it responded with 11,935 threads so far this post has had about 5 replies all saying the same as we have heard before and is readily available in the archives.

A search first would no doubt lead to a more pertinent post on the subject, such as "I just finished a search of the archives and the consensus seems to be........is this still the case? or have Cooper really designed a 4wd tyre that does as advertised and not chip and tear lugs off 5 Min's after engaging 4wd??

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556311

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:11

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:11
Not many will own up to operator error - good onya for doing so.
Have only had one crap tyre choice which resulted in severe chipping. Tyre company replaced for free.
Any other tyres I've wrecked were my fault (sharp rocks, going away with near bald tyres etc).
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 290743

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:44

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:44
James ,

I have stuffed over a dozen tyres by staking them , plus one big high speed blow out .

None of these were the fault of the tyre .

I think a lot of gripes come from people who loose lugs all round their tyres ( me and my Coopers ) and also those who get much less mileage than promised and when they look at the guarantee see that to get the promised mileage they had to have their wheels balanced and rotated by a tyre retailer every 10,000 km ( joke ).

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 290780

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:36

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:36
guy, I had some Cooper ST-C's (the ones with the special compound that are "Chip-Resistant") that chipped after 3000kms, if that, of which maybe 500kms were around Broken Hill. The Broken Hill tyre man had "never seen these chip", I had lost whole lugs. Why was I at the tyre joint? I sliced the side out of one tyre on a rock 60 kms nth of the Hill.

Contacted Cooper when I returned home, theyve not seen them chip either, and the Rep wants to take a look. In the meantime I staked the inside of another one. Hmm two stuffed and both chipped along with the other two.

Cooper man calls by and goes thru the same story, Never seen these tyres do this, what pressure you run them at up there? 28psi - right answer. Ok I will replace the two good ones - what about the two sliced ones? No deal! But but but They are chipped too and stuffed like the two you are going to replace, only difference is a (small) hole in the sidewalls of them. Still wouldnt come to the party although he DID source a almost new ST for me for free as a spare. Left a sour taste in my mouth with ST-C's and I have now sold them on and have STT's - still Coopers, should've got them first.

Was the chipping operator error? hmmm I would say no, but they did get punted along crap tracks in the roughest area in Oz (IMHO). In the end Cooper came to half the party. I can understand their position but the tyres were replaced because they were chipped not because they were stuffed. Cest la vie.

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 290810

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:16

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:16
I have run split rims and Dunlop Road Grippers for years and not had any dramatic failures, chipping etc. They don't wear particularly well, but if you run them at higher than normal pressures, they will give reasonable milage...... that being said, I don't do off-track work, so less likely to suffer side wall staking etc... also very careful with pressures that I have worked out over the years to be suited to my driving style, tyre type, load and track conditions.

I would probably run different tyres if I didn't get these so cheap!

Cheers,

Mark

AnswerID: 290869

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:28
cant understand the let em down approach except in sand.
why would you expose the soft sidewalls when you have 7 plys including steel in the tread.
I have never sustained a tread puncture except with a tech screw.
this one here was running 15 psi with a bit of wood between dunes at yeagerup beach. wouldnt have happened at 36PSI and even if it did it would have been a repairable tread puncture
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r308/wudinna/P1020357.jpg
AnswerID: 290870

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:30

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:30
FollowupID: 556291

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:27

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:27
Davoe, I can't pick the tyre from this - one of your beloved Toyo's perhaps (LOL). cheers JD
FollowupID: 556359

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:32

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:32
No i had much less trouble with the Toyos (they didnt go as many places)
thats an MTR and all the punctures i get with them is in the same general area just out of the tough tread and into the soft sidewalls
can tremember thats either a 3 or 4 plugger and happened on thursday
FollowupID: 556362

Sponsored Links