GU Patrol 4.5 Petrol. Any info???

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:56
ThreadID: 5520 Views:3155 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I am currently looking for a used petrol GU Patrol or 100s Landcruiser for a mate who is in the market. I have heard alot about the Cruiser motor, but can't find alot of info on the TB45 in the Nissan.

My mate is wanting a manual version, for rat running, highway use, and for towing a van in North Queensland. They are coming from an RB30 Patrol, which had done ALOT of kay's trouble free, so are wanting to stick to a petrol, even if it is a bit heavy on fuel.

Other than their thirst, what are some of their good/bad points, and what sort of problems should I be looking for??

Thanks for your help, guy's 'n gals!!

Tristjo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: petprass - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:39
Tristjo

I have a GU 4.5 petrol and it is quite thirsty - especially around town. I got down to about 4.8 kms per litre when I decided to do something about it. I had a Fitch fuel catalyst fitted three months ago and after some initial problems I am now getting close to 6 km per litre. This is a consistent figure - around town, long trips and even mixing some 4WD in low range (about 120km's worth).

I have also had to replace the clutch at just 82,000 k's. The dealer wasn't much help in trying to get it on warranty from Nissan, even though I had been complaining about "something wrong with the clutch" for over 30,000 k's.

I will be going to a 4.2 diesel next time.

Peter
AnswerID: 22910

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:24

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:24
Dealers are good like that, there must be a Tick book, that when a dealer asks for sometihng fixed under warranty, it goes against the dealer, 10 strikes and they are out or sometihng.

Did u get clutch fixed under warranty in the end? I would even now still be writing to Nissan, if you take crap, they will give it to you.
FollowupID: 15195

Reply By: petprass - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:44

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 13:44
Truckster,

The dealer said that if the clutch showed signs of a defect when taken out, then it would be a warranty claim. If however it was just "wear and tear" from usage, then it would be chargeable. They showed me the clutch plate and it was just bare metal - ie wear. (and also the car leasing co. agreed to pay - but that may eventually be my cost on final settlement)

I am not sure what else I could have done. Reading some of the posts on the Patrol site there are a lot of people that are in the same situation.

I have had other problems with this Nissan dealer, so if anyone wants to know who to stay away from just send me an email and I'll tell you - I would love to send these SOB's a listing of people that I have warned. (names will be withheld)

BTW - I notice that you are a member of the Nissan Patrol Club. I am a member as well and would like to catch up with you especially on the subject of GPS's from USA - I want to get a Garmin eMap or GPS111 plus to connect to navigation software.

Peter
AnswerID: 22998

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 20:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 20:27
Im there every month, hiding down the back in the middle near the double doors, lookin down the center at Barnsey!

See yer then
FollowupID: 15240

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:16

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:16
Tristjo,

We have a 4.5L GU with 77,000k's on the clock. Can confirm that it is a thirsty beast but we then, in our experience all mid to large petrol 4WD's are...

Haven't experience any problems with it. Only fault I could think of was that the rear door seals tend to let in a bit of dust. Advice from this forum was to pressurise the cab and it should solve the problem. So far, this seems to be working.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 23058

Sponsored Links