Fixed speed cameras

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:08
ThreadID: 55203 Views:6084 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Fixed speed cameras, are they fair for all? Last weekend I was following a motorcycle along the Bells line of road near Bilpin. I was approx 75 meters behind and travelling below the posted speed. The motorcyclist began to accelerate as he approached the fixed camera. This must of tripped the camera as the flash activated. My question to all the members and anyone from the RTA how do you process an infringement of this type for a vehicle that does not have a front number plate ? I have an inkling the the motorcyclist was well aware of this and just wanted to have his photo taken.

Regards Zodarp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:23

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:23
you have it in one,, i saw a scummy looking bikey the other day riding through the M5, stuck his middle finger up as he went through the toll.. Obviously the camera for non payment or no E tag, takes the pic from the rear. its a rort alright and its the bike riders mostly that are the silliest!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 290903

Follow Up By: Paul & Debbie - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:29

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:29
So Michael,

when I get out of my car and on my motor bike I suddenly grow silly.

Do I become clever again when I get back into my car?

Cheers, Paul

FollowupID: 556336

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:06
Only you would know that Paul, I said "Mostly"!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 556399

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:14

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:14
DIRTY FILTHY BIKER SCUM!!!!
There all the same those mob!
No respect for anyone......Ya Goose!
FollowupID: 556407

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:39
Hairy, I said bikey,, not as you put it, and i said he went through the toll with his middle finger up in the air, obviously was not going to pay his toll and obviously proud of the fact that he was not going to pay his way. Maybe i could have written my post better, but maybe you could have read it better. Regards Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 556416

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:07

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:07
Gday Michael,
It was this bit "its a rort alright and its the bike riders mostly that are the silliest!!! Michael"
Its a bit like saying MOST people in 4wd's go out and wreck the bush on week ends.

I know what ya mean though...just pulling the pi$$
FollowupID: 556423

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:24

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:24
I did some googling and found this from a bike forum posted a couple of years ago.

I have always wondered the same thing!

-----------------

Multanova cameras hidden in "wheelie bins" behind trees will form part of a two-pronged crackdown on speeding motorcyclists to be announced today.

In a bid to end a 'rort' which has seen speeding motorcyclists dodge more than $14 million in fines since 2000, speed cameras will be linked to high-resolution digital video cameras to capture front and rear shots of errant bike riders.

Although motorcycles are photographed by speed cameras, police have not been able to prosecute speeding riders because the bikes do not have a front numberplate and cannot be identified.

Front numberplates have not been required on motorcycles for more than for 20 years after a coronial finding that a metal plate on a bike had been responsible for decapitating a pedestrian.

But an interim measure to be announced today by Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan will close the loophole. Under the companion camera plan, a hidden Multanova would photograph the rear registration plate at the same time as the digital video camera records the speeding motorcycle from the front.

Police would then cross-reference the still and video images with time codes to correctly identify the bike's registered owner and issue a fine. Speeding car drivers detected by the hidden companion cameras could also be sent an infringement notice.

But neither riders nor drivers would know they had been caught speeding because they were unlikely to see a camera flash and the fluorescent signs that tell motorists they have passed a speed camera would not be used.

In a further sign of the tough stance police want to take on motorcyclists, who are about 19 times more likely to be killed on WA roads than car drivers, the companion camera sites would not be released to the media for broadcast or publication.

Although only one companion camera unit would be used initially at random sites across the metropolitan area, several more could be in use within months.

The companion cameras would be used until the start of the repeatedly delayed $7 million Capspeed project and the outcome of a Victorian project to find a suitable front identifier for motorcycles that was safe, durable and detectable by speed cameras.

More than three years ago, Police Minister Michelle Roberts first announced an attempt to solve the problem. She posed for a photograph on a WA police motorcycle with a front licence plate sticker similar to those being tested by South Australian police.
AnswerID: 290904

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:30

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:30
A similar question was asked of the Qld Govt on the local 4BC talk back radio yesterday or Monday, and the vague answer was that "THEY" can jiggle the camera to get details from a different angle.
Sounds like a typical nonsensical answer that we gullible peasants are meant to believe at face value from our elected parasites.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290906

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:57

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:57
Like the time we got zapped while in the right hand lane of a three lane road with lots of traffic. We were going very slow, looking for the right hand turn which we knew was coming up soon. No doubt it registered the speed of the fastest vehicle, and they pinged everyone in cooee.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 290909

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:32

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:32
This happens often And i am led to believe if you pay the money and get the photo if another vehicle is in the picture suddenly they realize they have made a mistake
FollowupID: 556413

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:05

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:05
Hi Davoe

Trouble is, paying the fine was cheaper than fighting it. Darn revenue raisers.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556422

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:38

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:38
That's why State Transport Ministers are seriously looking at legislation to require front number plates to be fitted to all vehicles - inlcuding motorcycles.
As for multiple vehicles appearing in 1 speed camera photo, modern equipment now allows authorities to zone sections of road so that they can now identify which (if any) of the vehicles was the offending one. They would not issue speeding fines to all vehicles unless they were all speeding/offending.
AnswerID: 290930

Follow Up By: Paul & Debbie - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:58
It's only VIC so far.

That would bring us on par with India and Singapore, the only countries in the world to have front number plates for motor bikes.

Paul

FollowupID: 556344

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:29

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:29
"That would bring us on par with India and Singapore"
Now there's a step in the right direction Hey?

Un bleep inbeliveable
FollowupID: 556410

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 17:22

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 17:22
Must admit, I have always wondered if any road rules, including parking rules apply to motor cycles.
AnswerID: 290938

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:58
Being a motorcycle rider myself, we have exactly the same rules, but also we can use Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes.

We pay the same tolls and parking costs (if no motorcycle parking areas available) as cars.

75% of speed cameras snap you from behind, and like most cars, I slow down when approaching speed cameras. Not saying that I'm perfect, and some motorcycle riders DO abuse the system. But then again so do SOME car drivers as well.

I ride to work to reduce fuel costs, decrease travel times and because I love to ride, and I will take any advantage I can to move forward in the traffic at lights or in slow moving traffic.

To be honest, we get no special treament. Only our rego & ctp cost half as much as a car. Insurance costs the same. We can't even share a metered parking spot on the street - one spot one vehicle is the parking law. And yes I have an eTag on my bike.
FollowupID: 556372

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:57

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:57
Most of the motor ctycles I see seem to just park on the footpath, & double white lines don't exist for them.
FollowupID: 556472

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:28

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:28
The new fixed speed cameras in QLD photograph the rear of the vehicle.
AnswerID: 290957

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:06
Just got this via email from a friend

ITS UP AN RUNNING, SO BE WARNED.

New Legislation M5 & M7 Re Speeding Fines

M5 and the M7 are now equipped with Point to Point Speed Devices. On entering the M7 the etag beeps and a camera takes a photo of your car recording the exact time. On exiting the etag system beeps again another camera at that point takes a photo of the car and the time. Then the computer calculates the time it has taken you to travel between the two points and calculates your speed. If you completed the clocked journey too fast you are issued with a speeding ticket.

At the present the speed limit is 100K.P.H. with a tolerance of 102 maximum. Over that and you are issued with a fine automatically. What a shock some drivers are going to have when they use this roadway for a week and get a weeks' tickets BOTH WAYS. Of course your license will also be recalled for 3 months. Now with the new legislation, fighting a Speed Camera fine is almost impossible. You must prove the device is faulty and if you are not a technician working on them, you have no chance of beating the fine.

The Pacific Highway has a set and these are recognized by large steel frames over the lanes with a speed camera and some distance up the road is another large metal frame with a speed camera.

These new point to point systems are being put onto any expressway and highway where vehicles are not able to exit between those points.

NOTE: School zone cameras are not speed tolerant. Anything over, even 41, is a fine.

Tammy Umasaran
Corporate & Admin Support
Ministry of Transport
Phone: 02- 9891 8941
Fax: 02- 9891 8999

I wonder how true this is, and since the M7 is private, if they are getting kick backs. People have mentioned this before as the M7 use radar at the toll points........Actually for detecting vehicles entering/exiting the M7.
AnswerID: 290965

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:09

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:09
It's a myth. This E-Mail has been doing the rounds for some time and has been................busted.
FollowupID: 556405

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:40

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:40
I know. I thought I would throw it in for a laugh.

The only motorway in Sydney that has point to point is the M4. Westbound point to point has been operational for many years, but only for heavy vehicles. Eastbound point to point - Cumberland Hwy to Church St Overpass was setup almost 5 yrs ago for all traffic, yet I still have not heard of anyone getting a fine from it.
FollowupID: 556429

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:27

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:27
Some of you mob are incredible!

First of all yes they can get you!
One of the first speed camera fines handed out in Alice was a bloke on a bike.
Is it fair WHO GIVES A TOSS!!!!
Is it fair when a 4wd runs over a motorcyclist?
Maybe everyone in cars should wear a crash helmet too! ( think how many deaths are caused by head injury).
Talk about a dummy spit.....if im going to get in trouble Im dobbing on you too....

Get over it
AnswerID: 290989

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:12

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:12
*Is it fair when a 4wd runs over a motorcyclist*

Yep Collateral damage ! lol

*One of the first speed camera fines handed out in Alice was a bloke on a bike*.

Was'nt Mick Doohan by any chance !

FollowupID: 556448

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:56
I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

>>>>>

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

>>>>>

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

>>>>>

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day to get there. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

>>>>>

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any colour you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

>>>>>

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

>>>>>

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at: those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

>>>>>

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-colour helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands).

>>>>>

And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

Not far different to 4WDers really.
AnswerID: 291179

Sponsored Links