They're at it again!

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:31
ThreadID: 55240 Views:2841 Replies:15 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Blimey ! The selfish politically correct late drinking mob are at it again. 4wds told to get off the road
I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what sort of vehicle they should own.
I wonder how the questions were framed ?
I wonder why AAMI commissioned the survey?
And I wonder, apart from inflaming the general public re 4wds, what the practical effects of such a survey would be?
Legislation perhaps?
And the reporting is in keeping with our local chip wrappers reputation; as usual.
Top story? *rasberry*
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:10

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:10
Heard some buffoon this morning say on the radio that 4x4 drivers need to be aware what is going on around them!! And that we will never completely get rid of the 4x4 and we will have to accommodate these larger vehicles!! I say they are the same length, same width just higher and more box shaped. I heard one guy on Sydney radio say the other day that 4x4s should be off the road because they are too slow getting of the mark on green traffic lights. It may just save lives with some drivers running red lights, it may avert getting t- boned.
It just makes you wonder what goes on inside their tiny little minds!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 291101

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:12

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:12
Agreed Footloose

and it gets worse - Push for mandatory cameras in 4WDs

Still, if you were to survey a group on a subject about which they knew nothing, then you'd expect crap wouldn't you.

Statistics, damn lies, AAMI...........
AnswerID: 291102

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:46
And they always forget to mention that a lot of sedans like Commodores etc have worse rear vision than a lot of 4x4's
FollowupID: 556515

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:46
Totally agree!, my landrover with a 18ft caravan hooked on is easy to back as far as vision goes, than a new toyota camary altise.

Axle.
FollowupID: 556596

Follow Up By: Raf - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:01

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:01
Notice the survey results in the article said "Most Australians' and "75 percent of Australians". Then it goes on to say 6 of 10 surveyed. I think most Aussies were not even aware or actually care about this survey.

I must be in that 25% of people that never even get asked to complete surveys.

I'd like to know more about who the groups surveyed consist of. Just another mis-use of statistics and charts bent out of shape to prop up an agenda.

Let's face it ... 92.75% of Explore Oz readers know this is true.

Get the DVD "Out Foxed" if you are interested in how the media uses key words and phrases to get the public believing what they want.
FollowupID: 557462

Reply By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:13

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:13
Totally agree footloose. I wonder why the survey did not include tracks, motor bikes, scooters, bicycles and for that matter cars. Take them off the road and our 4X4s won't be a problem to anybody - except ourselves LOL.
Cheers
Fred
AnswerID: 291103

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:20

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:20
What exactly is a 4WD these days? Does that Include AWDs. As far as rear view vision is concerned what about trucks many of whome only have rear view vision through their side mirrors. Most of the critism comes from people who can't afford a 4WD (AWD)
AnswerID: 291105

Follow Up By: Camoco - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:34

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:34
Ray I couldn't agree more.

It seems most people refer to 4wd as a patrol or cruiser type of vehicle. What about the Subarus, Audi's, etc that are reasonably small cars.
Also what about panel vans, small body trucks etc for lack of visibility?
They also pick on motorcyclists.

If it doesn't apply to "them" then everybody else is wrong and they are right and everybody else must be loonies or murderers etc.

I reckon if everyone drove a different type of vehicle every day for a week (licensing aside) we would have less whingers as they would see just what it is that attracts us to that particular type of vehicle and that by driving one, you don't automatically become a loonie.
Loonie being a general term for "they're not like me".

As far as affording a 4wd/awd I reckon it's not the poorer end of the market that are the protesters but the do-gooders that don't like everyone else having something decent (whatever that may be). Sure the "typical" mums taxis as Patrols or Cruisers could be seen as a bit much but they may only have the one car or that may be the car that does less miles therefore they may be better (safety and ecologically) than those that are protesting.

So.... are they picking on size, transmission method, fuel consumption, performance or prestige. If so there is plenty of cars that could fit into any of those brackets that they have probably overlooked (like the ones in their own garage).

Cheers Cam
(I hate people that hate things that I've got that they don't but want)
FollowupID: 556547

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:46
I commented on their web page, and my comments (same as this post) were censored. They didn't mention fish and chip wrapper(I wonder why?)
They sent me an email saying "you've been published! yadda yadda " ...yawn..
My computer thought their email so cute that it immediately dumped their notification in my spam folder.
Poetic justice ?
AnswerID: 291111

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:47

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:47
Sorry I meant that my post there was identical to my post here.
I didn't mean to imply any censorship at Exploroz.
I sure did at the Gold Coast mail :))
FollowupID: 556517

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:23

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:23
Can't understand why they got upset about being aligned with the "fish and chip wrapper" description. :-))

I once told my local rag they were not even useful as a lining for the bird cage.

Funny buggers didn't see fit to even print my reply, suppose they couldn't see the funny side :-) No sense of humour I guess?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556519

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:09

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:09
John, I'm afraid that many of the "4th estate", have much to answer for. There again if we're silly enough to believe all we read...
No they don't have any humour when it involves themselves.
But if having a go at someone else, or just plain drinking at their local and making it up on a slow news day...it's a different matter.
FollowupID: 556524

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:57

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:57
I must be a good boy, because mine got published without being censored.
Just don't mention fish'n'chips.
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556559

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:01

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:01
So was this you LOL

"Generally 4WD drivers fall into two categories, Arrogant and Aggressive. I really don't care what their fuel consumption is or how much they are to insure because I am one of these 75% who think they should NOT be allowed on city streets NO WAY. Get out in the bush and stay out there. Paul Keating had it right when he said that if he was still in power he would tax them out of existence. Big, Aggressive and Arrogant has NO place on city streets. How many times have you been out in the bush anyway? I am sure it would not warrant ANYONE to drive these ugly box things with their massive bull-bars that are there just to scare pedestrians as there aren't too many bulls walking around the streets. GET RID OF THEM!!"

I hope not

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556561

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:11

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:11
Mine started with "Typical load of sensationalising crap".
Cheers
Ian

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556563

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:51

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:51
"....aligned with the "fish and chip wrapper" description. :-))...."

Sorry John (Vic) I got the wrong end of that comment I thought you meant Pauline Hanson LOL It OK i am up to speed now
FollowupID: 557480

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:05

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:05
I am not sure that cameras are the complete solution to the unfortunate accidents that occur by people getting injured with reversing vehicles.

Lately there have been posts about the difficulty of viewing what's behind because of rain or water on the camera.
So, are they the answer if you can't rely on what you see?

I think the cheapest and most reliable safety device for guarding against these types of accidents is a loud audible alarm when you go into reverse.

Think of all the earthmoving machinery and forklifts etc. that have these alarms.
Do they have many of these types of accidents?

Doesn't look like it or maybe there isn't the sensationalism attached to the newspaper reports.

It would also be interesting to know how many of the people who were surveyed have actually got a 4WD or driven one.

Have you tried reversing one of the new Commodores?
No wonder the cars are coming out with reversing sensors now.
Do the sensors work if there is a child just behind the car?

If they do, that maybe a better substitute for a camera.
They don't need a space on the dash for a screen either.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 291116

Follow Up By: Camoco - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:44

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:44
Hi Dave,

There are probably less kids hanging around the back of earthmoving equipment than cars in driveways. I get your point but the external audible alarms are another pet hate of mine. I suggest kids as they would be the most likely candidate for reversing over by the wary driver. An unwary driver would drive over anything.

I hate that noise and you can get used to it after a while which defeats the purpose I suppose. If they could turn them off when in controlled areas (like no pedestrians) I would then be more inclined to warm to them. But now it is just another unwelcome noise amongst many and I do my best to tune it out thereby defeating them.

I agree with the modern cars being worse than "4wd's". Especially with spoilers. What gives, when you can only do a max of 110 (mostly) legally.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 556549

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:08

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:08
Lucky I'm not with AAMI ha ha ha ha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 291117

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:09

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:09
I am...CURRENTLY !!!!!!!
FollowupID: 556525

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:27

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:27
Since I moved from Cockroach land I have changed everything to Suncorp, but then again can anyone say that one insurance company is better than the other. It is much like banks they are out to make money one way or the other.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556527

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:33

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:33
G'day Kev
Its interesting that you mention ins. co. trying to make money any way they can!!!!!

If 4x4s were the demons they claim, why are we in the lowest risk category of all vehicles?
A; 4x4 are the lowest risk and they know it.

I therefore conclude they are maybe trying to soften us up prior to trying to push us into another category and earn themselves a few million $ more!!!!!!!

Conspiracy theory? maybe!!
Colin.
FollowupID: 556555

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:39
G'day there ex cockroach Kev, how have you been? Do you suffer withdrawal symptoms from leaving our wonderful state? Anyway, hope everything is falling into place for you & that your recovery is now complete. Cheers
FollowupID: 556567

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:40

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:40
I also see that their poll is not going their way either
It shows 100% support for all drivers to driver 4wd's LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 291133

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 13:10

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 13:10
Have left my thoughts on there page... http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/03/06/8485_gold-coast-top-story.html Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 291140

Reply By: JimDi - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:35

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:35
Having read the thing I have to wonder why AAMI,the insurer of my 4WD, would want to bother with paying for that survey. I might ask the call centre in a couple of months when the insurance is up.

And as for the so called "media". TV,newspapers and so on, aren't they the ones who are always claiming their readership and viewers are on the up and up. The truth is they are in decline.
JimDi
AnswerID: 291157

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:47

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:47
Once again, it is so easy and mindless to put labels on a group and hound them. The rear vision thing is a fascinating example where 4WDs tend to be lumped together in the 'very dangerous' category.

I am not against legislating for reversing cameras in certain vehicles, but do it on the basis of the vehicle's characteristics, not just because it is a 4WD. Here are some surprising results from the NRMA's Rear Visibility Study:

Top scoring vehicles

Vehicle Class Stars
BMW X5 (5 Door Wagon) - with camera 4WD 5
Ford Territory (5 Door Wagon) - with camera 4WD 5
Honda Legend (Sedan) - with camera Luxury 5
Lexus GS430 (Sedan) - with sensors and camera Luxury 5
Lexus IS250 (Sedan) - with camera Luxury 5
Lexus LS460 (Sedan) - with camera Luxury 5
Toyota Kluger (5 Door Wagon) - with camera 4WD 5

Vehicles that scored zero stars

Vehicle Class Stars
Holden Commodore (Sedan) Large 0
Holden Epica (Sedan) Medium 0
Holden Viva (5 Door Hatch) Small - Medium 0
Honda Civic (Sedan) Small - Medium 0
Honda Odyssey (5 Door Wagon) 4WD 0
Hummer H3 (5 Door Wagon) 4WD 0
Hyundai i30 (5 Door Hatch) Small - Medium 0
Mitsubishi 380 (Sedan) Large 0
Mitsubishi Lancer (Sedan) Small - Medium 0
Toyota Prado (5 Door Wagon) 4WD 0
Toyota Corolla (Sedan) Small - Medium 0
Toyota RAV - 4 (5 Door Wagon) 4WD 0

Sure, the top vehicles all had reversing cameras and sure, there are 4WDs in the bottom of the pile. I wonder how loud Commodore or Lancer drivers who responded to the survey will howl when they are told that they have to fit a reversing camera because their vehicle is rated amongst the most dangerous for rear vision?

And don't even start on fuel consumption. As has been discussed on here before, it is the driving patterns more than the vehicle itself which consume fuel. Bring on the carbon trading scheme I say. And then watch the non-4WD, sanctimonious crowd howl out loud when they find that driving their car EVERYWHERE uses way more fuel than the recreational 4WDer.

Matt.
AnswerID: 291163

Reply By: brushmarx - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:21

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:21
I believe most 4x4 owners are concerned about vehicle and pedestrian safety, and maybe we should start our own survey that could be submitted to AAMI or the Pedestrain Council for thier consideration.
Suggestion for Topic:
Should the Directors of AAMI and Harold Scruby participate in testing of rear vision on all vehicles, by laying down behind a wide range of vehicles, and monitoring how long it is between dropping out of the drivers vision, and the pressure of the vehicle ruptures thier spleens.
I vote yes.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 291183

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:46
One of the comments left ................
Generally 4WD drivers fall into two categories, Arrogant and Aggressive. I really don't care what their fuel consumption is or how much they are to insure because I am one of these 75% who think they should NOT be allowed on city streets NO WAY. Get out in the bush and stay out there. Paul Keating had it right when he said that if he was still in power he would tax them out of existence. Big, Aggressive and Arrogant has NO place on city streets. How many times have you been out in the bush anyway? I am sure it would not warrant ANYONE to drive these ugly box things with their massive bull-bars that are there just to scare pedestrians as there aren't too many bulls walking around the streets. GET RID OF THEM!!

Posted by: Billy Johnstone of Cairns 3:31pm today

My reply to him, doubt it will get posted on there ................

Mr Billy Johnstone of Cairns, you need to pull your head in. ""Arrogant and Aggressive"" Firstly might I say there are not too many bulls roaming streets or jumping across major highways. Most bullbars are for old skippy that jumps out in front without looking bit like some car drivers who obviously got there licence from a corn flakes packet probably like your self by your arrogance. Not everyone uses them for off road but for towing big loads like horse floats,boats etc that would be illegal behind most family sedans. Might I also say that you are probably one of these pedestrians that dont look and probably cross the road 20 metres from a road crossing and think you can just walk out in front and expect the world to stop for you. 75% of people like yourself probably need educating on how to take a roundabout properly. Vision, yes they have plenty of it above the sedans that's to see clowns like you who don't look over there shoulder before changing lanes, shall I continue !!! YAWN YAWN YAWN Get a life.......... Might I add driving 24 years 2 speeding fines no accidents and take my Prado off road. Steve (Glenmore Park)

AnswerID: 291194

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:12
Hi all

Does anyone entertain the thought that these type of stories are the product of the over fertile imaginations of journalists bored to tears that no one has murdered, bashed or committed some other newsworthy horrendous crime against their fellow man in the past 24 hours. Is it possible that the angry reactions to these stories are just what they are after. Would we bother to buy a newspaper that had as its front page headline the sucessful rescue of young Tommy Smiths cat from a tree?

I shall now don helmet and bullet proof vest and retire to my Acme home bomb shelter;-)))))

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 291247

Follow Up By: Member - SNAKE (RAOUL) QLD - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:03

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:03
Hi ,I think we are missing the BIG point here.It is my right as a bloody AUSSIE to drive what I like as long as it meets current laws .For Christs sake we will have to get a bloody permit to crap in the woods the way we are going.WE ARE STILL THE GREATEST NATION ON THIS PLANET DONT LEGISLATE OUR FREEDOM AWAY.Cheers to all.Snake and Josie
FollowupID: 556667

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:07

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:07
Footy,

Stop stirring the children. You know they'll have all sorts of problems sleeping now. You're getting to be a serial pest hahahahahahaha

AnswerID: 292131

Sponsored Links