Spotlight Placement

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:32
ThreadID: 55257 Views:2546 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Can someone please give their experience with spotties. I have 2 Ziel 100W (1 spread, 1 pencil) on the bullbar. They are ok but can I add a few more? Will I get better distance if I put a few (2) more on the B/bar, or should I put 2 on the roof? If I put them on the roof I'll be putting them on a roof bar & removing while in town. If on the B/bar, can they legally be in the centre of the top tubing, above the bonnet? I see pleant of cars around like this. Are they annoying on the roof? Where is the best placement?

Stef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:39
read the ADR for driving lights and you will know where to put it.
Lights on the roof is offroad only 4 driving lights max are legal if your high beam of the car is only 1 light each side. The max height of driving lights is regulated in the ADR .. so usually 2 decent driving lights are fine .. everything else is posing ..

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 291216

Reply By: obee - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:04

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:04
like the air conditioner, spotties suck fuel. Last time I looked they were over a hundred watts each. I used to have a couple but I can do without them no problems and I dont have to worry about the stones breaking them.

but thats my philosophy; keep it simple..

Owen
AnswerID: 291222

Follow Up By: Member - Davidp P (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46
Right on obee, 4WDs were invented so that accessory suppliers could make a living....silverback
FollowupID: 556636

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:16

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:16
I have added 2 spotties on a cruiser I owned and was really impressed with the improvement in visibility, so I wondered how much better would 2 more spotties be, mounted on the top pipe on the bullbar, and found that there was only slight gain in having 4 against 2, not worth the outlay IMHO.
I think you will find lights mounted above drivers eye are illegal in all states, mind you, the ones that get done for it are usually doing something to draw attention to them
selves, I see plenty who do that, each to there own.
lights mounted on top pipe of bull bar may also get unwanted attention because they will be deemed NOT pedestrian friendly, and also they may impede on visibility if above the bonnet line remembering some states don't even allow (legally) an autotune HF aerial to mounted in front of the driver.
It all comes down to personal choice.

Shane
AnswerID: 291250

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:06

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:06
Well Stef the way I see it, the more lights you have the more light you have, but that doesnt mean you will have a longer beam or more penetration, thats up to the design of the light. I used to have aircraft landing lights on a car and they threw a beam about 800m, the XGT's I have now throw it around 900-1000. Thats enough for me.

Lights on the roof hit the bonnet with MAX light once you turn them on and I find it very distracting, Lucy even ended up painting his bonnet black for just that reason.

And on top of the bar, theyre in the way I reckon
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 291270

Reply By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:54

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:54
Gday Stef,
IMHO height is might....I buy a new cruiser every 2 yrs and the first thing I do is put spotties on the roof (last 6 cars)

Always 2x pencil beams and never have a prob with reflection.

Cheers............BIGDOGImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 291306

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:04

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:04
Depends on the light. Even if you put 10 small spotlights on the car you won't get the same light as 2 big ones.

I upgraded to 240 lightforce, i decided to mount the old 170's on the top of bullbar, they hardly do anything extra. I have them set up as widebeam but still not as good as one pencil/one combo 240. I hardly use the smaller lights now, they just suck power.

The point I'm making is that 2 big, good quality spotlights on the bullbar will be better that adding extra small lights regardless of where they are mounted.

Barnesy

AnswerID: 291313

Sponsored Links