Connie Sue Hwy Feedback

Can you take a proper all terrain caravan on the Connie Sue? Not an off roader but a proper all terrain?
We have been to the very tip of QLD and on several very out back roads but do not know if there is a lot of sand hills which we would not get up with it.
Can anyone out there advise us that has done this trip please?
It is a 16 ft Phoenix caravan.
Cheers!
The Watto's.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:26

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:26
Watto
you could but it would be a hard slog, some of the track is pretty tight, but someone took a standard van along the Gunbarrel last year.. so any thing can be done..

I would not, we travelled it last year

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 291280

Follow Up By: Member - The W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:36

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:36
Thank you for your reply Richard.
We are wondering what exactly it is yu mean by a bit tight.
Is it a case of narrow in places or low branches perhaps?
We are 7 ft 6 inches wide and 3 mtrs max high.
What is your considered opinion pleas in this regard.
We appreciate your advise.
I found info on the Northern end but can't find anything further on the tree branches or deep sand that may stop us.
It is of course quite a heavy van due to being an all terrain one.
Cheers Richard.
The Watto's.
FollowupID: 556663

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 00:45

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 00:45
That a look at last years trip 400 odd photos just flick through them till you fined CS. Photo trip 2007

Look you will make the trip OK. there is some over grown places and some twisty places, but no more than any other outback track!.. it Will be a slow trip but if you have the time you will make it.

We broke a CT on the Kidson in 2005 and we own a Supreme Getaway off road CV..

My new rule is when in the desert take only the troopy less things to brake down..

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 556684

Follow Up By: cityslicker - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:50

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:50
Great photos, Thanks for sharing.
FollowupID: 556729

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:45

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:45
Hi,
We did it a couple of years ago and agree that the track is not very wide in places. Our Cruiser certainly had a lot more scratches down both sides when we returned home. Mind you, we did the Anne Beadell as well and I reckon that was worse.
When we did it, there was a section of about 40 km of really deep bull dust which made for some very interesting driving - would have been a real challenge witha van, although two of our convoy had camper trailers and managed OK.
You could do it with a van, but be prepared for some tough sections. Oh, and don't think there won't be any corrugations, cos there will be!
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 291286

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 06:52

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 06:52
Watto's

Like almost everything else in life, it can be done, but at what cost?

The Connie Sue is narrow in places and pretty corrugated. No matter how strong your caravan may seem to be, there is always a chance that you may break it. A section of the Connie Sue may be graded from time to time but that soon turns into neverending bulldust. Vehicles get scratched on this track and your van may suffer severely.

Image Could Not Be Found

Its up to you but I would err on the side of caution.

Cheers
AnswerID: 291331

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:54

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:54
If you're wondering where your teeth are ol' fella, I think that is them on the dash in front of you. Go out and look in the truck ;-)
FollowupID: 556696

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:56

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:56
For a moment I thought that you were being a cheeky possum again but on closer inspection of the photo I see what yer mean. Got no idea what it is as my teeth are where they should be...lol
FollowupID: 556716

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 16:49

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 16:49
Watto which of the rougher outback routes have you already towed your Phoenix van on so I can give you some comparison to what to expect on the Connie Sue?
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 291619

Follow Up By: Member - The W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 20:05

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 20:05
Thank you Caraig.
Fol;lowing are a list of most of the tracks we have done that are of the outback sort. BUT, it is not the rough that wea re concerned about, we travel at les than 6 k's an hour if it is rough and are most happy to do it, not a problem it is the sand and if we will get bogged. we are very heavy, it is only a 16ft van but they are about 3 tonne when fully loaded with water food etc. and the car is about another 3 tonne too.
The tracks list is:
Tanami
Gibb River
Kurendge Track out from Wyndhm (hope I spelt that correctly)
Savannah Way
Oodnadatta Track
Great Central Road
Plenty Highway
Ral Way line fcrom Kal to Pt Augusta and up to the north of the rail way line to caves.
Buntine Road
Duncan Rd
Buchanan Hwy
Cape Leveque
BUT these were not real boggy ones.
We als did about 140 k's of the Kidson track and got very bogged as it is badly wshed away and impassable with sand. The road below the idson track called the Wapet Road is not a problem however so we have been led to believewe have not done that as yet.
Time is not a problem as we are on the road for 50 weeks of the year travelling where ever and only go homme for 2weeks of the year to check on things then we are off again and we are not due back at home until October 08 for the nest 2 weeks at home. So ther eis plenty of tiime.
We do want to get to QLD Caloundra fo the first of May though if we can but we can easily change that.
Again thank you for you assistance.
The Watto's.
FollowupID: 556999

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:55

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:55
Watto when I travelled the Connie Sue it did not have any difficult driving on it at all. By this I mean 4 wheel drive was rarely engaged, sand was not deep nor were there any crests blown over the track & there were no big washouts I can recall that may catch out a van of your size. A few sections of the track do get a little narrow with short trees close but in general the vast majority is clear. At the Rawlina end & around a few of the breakaways it gets a bit rocky.
It has the usual sandy corrugations not unlike some sections of the Tanami on the WA side.
Your van is pretty big for a track of this type & I would not recomend it to many but looking at where you have taken it already it would very well be possible be it with a bit of dragging & scraping. Weather could play a role as local rain would not be favorable for towing 3 tonne in the many low lying areas.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 557013

Follow Up By: Member - The W (WA) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 21:23

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 21:23
Thank you Craig for your reply. Firstly I MUST say I am very sorry about the typo's all the way thru my postings and I will read it over in the future before posting it.
Kidson is not the "idson" after all is it.
There were so many more too. I really am sorry. I think next time we go we will go home not "homme" for eg.
We had pretty much decided not to go with the "Tardis" as we call our van, but after seeing photos that Richard sent us and your comments we are re-thinking, as we do so often, and may give it a go.
If it is not appropriate we can always come back again. No big deal.
We have done other tracks besides the ones we mentioned. eg Esperance to Balladonia then up to Zanthis and others so I reckon we may well give it a try.
We are happy to go super slow and spent 6 days doing the Railway Line between 6 and 30 k an hour and less than 6 k's in places.
We are not in a hurry so easy, easy suits us just fine and we have months of food and water and lots of retrieving gear but we prefer the gear to stay right where it is and not have to get it out.
Not into making life hard and working at things we no longer have to work with, or at.
Thank you so much for your info and if you think of anything else to clue us in please do so.
We always take on board what is said then make our own decision with no come back or blame to anyone else.
Our problems always remain just that, our problem not some-one else's.
Cheers, and please enjoy your travels like we do ours.
If you think of another track anywhere in Australia don't hesitate to tell us about it.
We think we will get a "tray back slide on" in a few years to do the Canning Stock Route and others that you would not take any sort of van or trailer on, well not in our opinion anyhow.
We will never in a million years sell our Tardis, the Phoenix van, it has been truly fantastic and so well built.
If you take it easy you can go anywhere so long as it is not too sandy for bogging down.
We love it, just in case you did not figure that bit out yourself.
It comes highly recommended from us.
Our design is now on their brochure.
Yes we did the designing from top to bottom and front to back and left to right and yes it has turned out fantastic. Mind you it is not he first time we have done it, we did it once before but it was 21 feet long and that is way too big and heavy so we went smaller this time and glad we did.
It is the first one in the brochure, with the king size bed and coffee ledges along the side of the bed and has a cafe style dining/lounge area so we can sit back and have our legs up on the seat to watch TV or swing the telly around for bed time viewing or cricket and footy watching etc. We have satellite telly so we have telly anywhere.
As I said, have a great life travelling whenever you go whereever you go and travelling in what ever style you choose.
Cheers,The Watto's.
FollowupID: 557187

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:06

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:06
Where are you planning to go when you finish the Connie Sue? It's fairly corrugated, but you may be OK. Are you heading West or East from Neale Junction?

The reason I ask is that parts of the Anne Beadell Hwy may be a bit tight for a Caravan....
AnswerID: 291843

Follow Up By: Member - The W (WA) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:53

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:53
Thanks Scott,
We will be going to QLD Caloundra for the month of May then back to the West in October for about two weeks before heading off on the next trip to where ever.
No we are not doing the Beadell tracks in the Phoenix caravan althought we have beeen on lots of other outback tracks.
It is a 16ft van but about 3 tonne when fully loaded with water food etc. and the car is about another 3 tonne too.
The tracks list we have done so far in this van is, but not limited to: (there are others)
Tanami
Gibb River
Kurendge Track out from Wyndhm (hope I spelt that correctly)
Savannah Way
Oodnadatta Track
Great Central Road
Plenty Highway
Railway line fcrom Kal to Pt Augusta and up to the north of the railway line to caves.
Buntine Road
Duncan Rd
Buchanan Hwy
Cape Leveque
BUT these were not real boggy ones.
We did the track from Esperance to Balladonia then up to Zanthus on the railway line.
We also did about 140 k's of the Kidson track and got very bogged as it is badly washed away and impassable with sand. The road below the Kidson track called the Wapet Road is not a problem however, so we have been led to believe, we have not done that as yet.
Time is not a problem as we are on the road for 50 weeks of the year travelling where ever and only go homme for 2weeks of the year to check on things then we are off again and we are not due back at home until October 08 for the next 2 weeks at home. So there is plenty of tiime.
We do want to get to QLD Caloundra for the first of May, if we can but we can easily change that.
We had thought not to do it but then we had some feed back and it seems it may not be so very bad an we can always come back if it is too bad. Not the end of the world if you know what I mean.
any further info is going to be appreciated thought Scott.
The Watto's.
FollowupID: 557206

Sponsored Links