Off road rating system for different rigs

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:21
ThreadID: 55283 Views:2568 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Having camped, had a campervan C/T & caravan over many years and I have enjoyed many trips around Aus, Europe and S.Africa.

I have recently succumbed to the aches & pains (& the missus)and upgraded to an off road caravan.

What I think would be nice is something (in a spreadsheet type format) that gives a rating of road conditions for different rigs under different conditions , say wet or dry.

Maybe EO can set this up as part of their off road conditions report. The ratings could be 1 to 10 where 1=perfect and 10 =impossible for say 4X4s, C/Ts, campervans, O/R vans and normal caravans. Make it interactive so that everybody can have some input.

My experience is that I have been to many 'no you can't go there with that' places and really had very few problems apart from the odd scratch etc but after all, that is part of travelling off road. I would however respect the opinions of many of the EO forumites especially the older ones!!!! No names Willem LOL.

An example I came across last night in a 4X4 treks magazine was in some national parks they listed campsites that you camp at with tents, C/Ts and off road caravans. Well that told me that I could get a O/R caravan in there. Nothing about any of the other roads about the place. (Note this is just a basic example).

I know experience plays a part in this but people have to decide for themselves on that.

What do you think?

Cheers
Fred

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:42

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:42
Have you considered that some of the problems may be that the roads are two way and that backing up a caravan or trailer could cause major problems. That is, it may not just be the surface conditions that limit the road to vehicles that are towing. Meeting a vehicle towing a caravan on a twisting sand dune or a very narrow road is no fun. Having had to reverse for about a 1km on an extremely narrow road because the other guy was towing and said that he could not reverse has really p.me off.
AnswerID: 291368

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:14

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:14
Yip you are right Kiwi Kia. I must confess that I have done this on the odd occasion but had somebody go on ahead to make sure it was all clear - so never held anybody up yet. Used the radio too - but there are other issues with that as well so I know that that is not a solution. Bigger rigs are a problem though even on some of the good tracks although it does not seem to bother some of the tourist busses up Cape York etc!!! I have had to make way on a couple of occasions.
Cheers
Fred
FollowupID: 556734

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:18

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:18
Yes, tourist buses, I forgotten about them ! Even the small ones are sometimes driven by people who think they are Roadtrains !
FollowupID: 556736

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:17

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:17
Don't forget the extra track damage that vehicles towing campers and Vans do. You may be able to tow the van in, but if you destroy the track in the process should you really be doing it ?
AnswerID: 291374

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 16:33

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 16:33
What a load of crap Mr Pointyhead. You have no idea,do you?
FollowupID: 556781

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:23

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:23
Willem, if you are so ignorant as to thing what I said is crap I feel sorry for you.

Unfortunately there are people in various government authorities who look for any excuse to close down 4x4 access to areas, and excessive track damage is a favorite reason.

If you think that me pointing out that destroying tracks is a bad thing, you really should not be driving a 4x4, because it is idiots like you that get get tracks closed for the rest of us.

I notice in your photo it shows you bogged on a vegetated sand dune. I think that summarises the type of idiot you are.
FollowupID: 557423

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:42

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:42
One of the problems in doing this is that road conditions change considerable from day to day, given the weather, grading, traffic etc. What would be a doddle with a van one day, may be a nightmare a week later.

Also road conditions are somewhat a matter of experience. What I may consider a good road, you may consider a rough 'track'.

That being said, you can get a general idea, then use your own nouse to sort it out....

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 291449

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:51

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:51
Yep that's what i would be thinking.

Baz.
FollowupID: 557428

Sponsored Links