Breakdown towing of caravans

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:35
ThreadID: 55285 Views:2008 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
has anyone had experience with NRMA breakdown coverage as it applies to caravans. I guess the key question is how is the reciprocal coverage in NT, WA and SA? If I break down will my van be towed to the nearest depot etc. (main roads, not too far off the beaten track). Anyone had any experience with this?
All advice appreciated.
Regards
TJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:43

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:43
From my limited experience the biggest problem is getting through to them on the phone.

Had a problem in Atherton and tried to ring the NRMA, after 20 min on hold I gave up because I couldn't afford the phone bill. I had mentioned that I was on a mobile, they assured me I wouldn't wait long.

Duncs
AnswerID: 291369

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 13:55

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 13:55
You should have used the 1300 number. This is Oz wide. The state local mob answer it.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556756

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:49

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:49
Peter, 13 and 1800 numbers cost full price from mobiles.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 556855

Reply By: traveller2 - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:51

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:51
The old man has had to be towed/recovered a few times from far flung parts of the country with his car and van. Hasn't had too much problem other than campping on the side of the road for a day or so as he has been a few 100k's from town.
First time he totally removed the van suspension from the van on a grid on back road up near Lawn Hill, second time was a transmission problem on the commodore, third time was commodore again.
Every time they have been looked after, accomodated, reimbursed for out of pocket expenses and both car and van have been towed at the same time by the one truck, usually a tilt tray if dual towing required. All with NRMA plus/premium or whatever they call it now.
AnswerID: 291372

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:10

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:10
Read your policy
-----------------------------

Premium Care* is our most comprehensive Membership package and covers you anywhere in Australia, offering the same high level of assistance across all states and territories that you can expect here in NSW.

The benefits include up to $3000 worth of Major Breakdown Assistance, including organising alternative transport for you, your passengers and even your vehicle and/or trailer. If required, we will also sort out accommodation and complimentary car rental. Premium Care also includes Trailer Cover and Accident Assistance.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 291373

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:10

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:10
For premium care members there is a routine to go through. I did it successfully in WA last year a couple of times.

I first rang the Oz wide number 131 111 and spoke to the WA customer service people and explained the situation. They can only offer reciprocal service under their standard policy. I stated that I was claiming under NRMA premium care. They gave me a Job reference number and transferred me to NRMA premium care (who are separate staff from the standard care staff.) I then arranged cover from them, was given a reference number and 13 contact phone numbers. I was transferred back to RACWA, quoted the NRMA numbers to them and they arranged for the contractor to complete the recovery.

This was all done on the one phone call - 131 111.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556757

Follow Up By: steamfire01 - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:31

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:31
Thanks for the replies. I have a Coromal 701 and someone told me that they don't tow vans over 2 tonnes. When I rang the NRMA the girl was fairly vague. I'll have a chat to them at the NSW caravan show.
Regards
TJ
FollowupID: 556760

Sponsored Links