More on 80 series recovery

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:22
ThreadID: 55292 Views:1800 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to all the guys who replied to this querie and as a result I removed the Tie downs on the front and modified them by welding the bars all around instead of the original partial welds from Toyota.
The bolts were already 8.8 High Tensile so I put them back in and tensioned them to 80Lb. The Tie downs are now stronger than the ARB flanges on the bull bar and they pull directly off the chassis. I reckon I would tear the chassis before the modified tie downs. I will use my tree protector as a bridle with 3.2 tonne shackles.

Also found an old hayman reese tow tongue (on our last trip just laying in the middle of the track) with a straight tow point so fitted it with a 3.2 tonne shackle and will use this for rear recovery.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 18:53

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 18:53
You are correct, it will be stronger than anything else availaable, but without an official rating, most clubs wont allow you to use them....
AnswerID: 291427

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:30

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 13:30
There was a group in Perth who tested the 80series tow hooks a few years back, and measured the force required to break them. I can't remember the numbers, but the HT bolts broke before the welds on the loops.

Bridle is always a good idea for anything greater than a straight tow.
AnswerID: 291910

Sponsored Links