Price of Hilux at Auction

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 21:26
ThreadID: 5530 Views:9075 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I went to an Auction today in Brisbane looking to buy a 2000 Hilux Extra cab 4X4, Petrol with 60000klms on it. It had a bullbar and winch and had the tray back on it. Being an Auction you would think that the vehicle would go for a reasonable price. It eventually sold for $26000. I thought this was a bit expensive. Just wondering what anyone else thinks about this price. Are my expectations to high (or low)? I have looked around at different prices and on the Redbook site (www.redbook.com.au) the national average price - private sale* is between $19600 and $23000. Is this the wrong thing to judge prices on? Can anyone else give me any sort of guidlines?

Cheers
Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:22

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:22
Some people dont know what they are paying for things, look at Ebay, things regularly go for more than retail!
AnswerID: 22942

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:45
Michael,
I've been to a few Auctions and I agree with Truckster, Alot of people get carried away in the monent and bid too much then realise that they have bought the said item.......by then its a little too late!Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 22947

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:48

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:48
P.S.
You can purchase the lot sheets of previous auctions which will have the prices that the particular Vehicles were sold for.Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 22948

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 17:01

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 17:01
Matt,

Thanks for the reply, just wondering where I can get a hold of the previous lot sheets and the prices they went for??
I think i will just have to keep looking around at all the autions until another one comes available for a cheaper price!
Cheers
Michael
FollowupID: 15220

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 17:10
Michael,
The Auctioneer holding the auction should be able to provide the Lot Sheets of previous auctions, also try http://www.pickles.com.au/ and http://fowles.com.au/Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 23009

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:41
Yeh, that sounds a bit steep. The trick is to just keep going week in week out until there arent too many bidders around one day and you get a good deal. Problem is you need to be patient and have the time. I saw 2000 dual cabs 3L diesel sell last couple of weeks around $25,500 here in perth with about same kms or less.
I think redbook is still a pretty good guide,
Will.
AnswerID: 23405

Reply By: d.b. - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 21:35

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 21:35
Please be very careful when buying from auction. I had a bad experience with my hilux. I traded in my 99 au 1 tonner on a good looking 2000 hilux duelcab from a dealer in melbourne. The hilux had no books with it and the dealer got it at auction(Fowlers). Salesman told me it was repossesed. I traded in and payed $36,000.
all up. It did have heaps of extras like bullbar siderails & steps, rear step etc.
Two months later the throwout bearing in the clutch failed. I went to the dealer for warranty but had travelled over the 5,000 klm stat warranty limit. I went to toyota because i was told it would still have manufactures warranty. They asked for books, and would not warrant without them. They searched their dealer network for the previous owner. I contacted him to obtain the books and he told me the ute had been written off in the Murray river. I then took OZCAR COMPANY to court for mis-representation. I had a minor win being awarded an extra years warranty.
Anyway the vehicle had sat in a holding yard in mildura for six weeks before going to auction at Pickles Auctions in Melbourne. It was sold to a 4x4 salvage company who the very next day sold it to another dealer. This other dealer First stop auto's in altona then cleaned the interior and put it into Fowles auctions. (90 percent of their cars are sold through auction) Possibly all sus vehicles. Now i'm stuck with it. How can i honestly sell it to anyone else? Moral of this story is DON'T BUY IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S HISTORY.
AnswerID: 23745

Sponsored Links