Walkers Crossing short cut

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 13:14
ThreadID: 55325 Views:1866 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Can any of you regular desert dwellers tell me if there is a short cut between the Walkers Xing track over to the Coongie track ?
Or is there no choice but to go into Innaminka and back out again ?

Cheers
Pezza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 13:21

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 13:21
Innamincka and back out, there used to be tracks all over but since it became NP controlled all are off limits.
AnswerID: 291590

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:23

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:23
Why doesn't that surprise me.

Thanks Peter.
FollowupID: 557069

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 13:25

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 13:25
Yes, there is a short cut, but you'll never get permission from SANTOS. You'll have to cross the causeway at Innamincka.
AnswerID: 291591

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:40

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:40
Aaaaah Phil, you're such a spoil sport. I was out playing Grannie, so you beat me to saying no, even though you said yes. If you know what I mean.
FollowupID: 556974

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:36

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:36
Hi Ruth,
Yep, I phrased that badly. Should have started with No and then said its possible if you're Houdini :-)
I've heard that being a grannie is pretty good - Kathryn and I get to try it out in a few months time! Don't think we'll get to Birdsville this year - might be a quieter year for trips this year :-((
FollowupID: 556994

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:43

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 22:43
Phil - wonderful news for you and Kathryn - I was at my first granddaughter's first birthday party today - every one had a good time but Caitlyn - she was over tired and getting another lot of teeth and just wanted to go home! A brother or sister arriving in 6.5 weeks - and talking about a third already.
FollowupID: 557024

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:28

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:28
Hi Phil,
So is this track in a position where I will actually need permision? ie. locked gate or office buildings or does it go thru a gas field ?
Was wondering if I found it and then just sorta "got lost" :-)

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 557071

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:29

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:29
Hi Ruth,
You enjoy that bit of rain down your way recently ?
Am assuming you escaped unscathed ?

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 557072

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:14

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:14
Pezza
I'd imagine that it would be pretty much unused unless it goes past or to a well site.
Any tracks that are in use all have no access signs where they join to the PAR route.
From memory (very faint these days) it crossed the floodout watercourse not far from the outstation on the way to coongie.
When we used to cross that way from Coongie to the Birdsville track we would camp up at Coongie and then come back to the outstation then head west for a k or so and there was a natural causeway across the watercourse. If coongie was full you couldn't get across as the water was too deep. We came across a bloke and his wife who had tried in a cruiser once, he had slid it into deep water and spent three days diving for the tirfor and accessories to winch it out. When we cam along he had been drying it out for two days and was about to try and start it.
It was basically an old rabbiters track which the Walkers crossing track follows for part of its route.
FollowupID: 557077

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:24

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:24
Pezza. when the big rain happened down here over one night, I was due to fly back from Norfolk Island and arrive in Bne at 8:00 a.m. At 4:00 am I'm ringing from Norfolk to say the plane wasn't able to take off due to fog and they are yelling at me from here to say they can't come to get me because Laravale was flooded (Logan River) and that stage they didn't know there'd been 15 inches up the top of Running Creek and Rathdowney was also flooded. Up in Rathdowney Heights here was o.k. but bit wet down the front. As it was I ended up with an extra week on Norfolk due to 10 days of cyclonic wind and rain and then another week of heavy fog. Who cares - it was fantastic and I'm going back later in the year to see it in the sunshine as well.
FollowupID: 557111

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 16:21

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 16:21
"So is this track in a position where I will actually need permision?"

Pezza, I haven't ever travelled that track. I just know from friends who have tried, or worked for Santos that its not on.

"Was wondering if I found it and then just sorta "got lost" :-)"

To do so, and then get caught, damages the reputation of 4wders and leads to more track closures. The 4wd Association in SA (and others) fought long and hard to get Walkers Crossing reopened and become a Public Access Route (it was closed to travellers for for many years, and reopened about 6 years ago). Its a shame for travellers to undo that work for the sake of a couple of hours driving.
FollowupID: 557119

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:58

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:58
"damages the reputation of 4wders and leads to more track closures. "

Mate if they want to close them, they will, regardless, but I do take your point.
Am with family so won't be taking any chances, will go via Innaminka.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 557246

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:05

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:05
Peter 2,

Sounds like an interesting track, I don't think I've got enough "desert experience" yet to be trying tracks like that, and as I said to Phil, will have my family with me.
I was hoping to do pretty much what you did then, slip into the lakes and camp there for a couple of days on the way from Birdsville, save doing a day trip back out there again after setting up at Cullymurra. Seems like we're going to have to do the latter.

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 557250

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:25

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 14:25
Pezza, there are lots of tracks and roads BUT the only way is as Phil says, into Innamincka and out again. Absolutely, take it from one who knows, it is not worth trying to make new roads or take shortcuts in that area. Will you be there in July?
AnswerID: 291775

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:20

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:20
Geez Ruth, an extra week on Norfolk, I feel so sorry for you.....NOT!! Lol.
I will be taking Phil's advice and going via Innamincka, knowing a little about both of your backgrounds I hold any advice from either of you in high regard.
No, we will be going in late may, I go to these sort of places (Nth QLD till now) for the solitude and peace and quiet, having 2 boys of 3 and 2 yo, ( yes, I know, solitude, peace and quiet and a 3 & 2 yo are contradictory, lol) there is no need to go to these places during peak season or school holidays, unfortunately the gathering is smack bang in the middle of both.
Comes from growing up in the country I suppose, 3hrs west of Rocky.
As we didn't have our regular QLD members day BBQ, hopefully we will get to meet at another gathering one day soon.

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 557253

Sponsored Links