Can anyone advise on good campspots for C/t along Barry Way
from Jindabyne to Vic Border area.? We need a quiet space to
R & R following music concert at Thredbo next Fri/Sat. Must be
mad at our age, but would crawl over broken glass to see
Patty Griffin...sigh....oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 16:55

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 16:55
Plenty of spots once you get down near the river.
There are plenty of spots near the Pinch (I think that's what it is called) river bridge and also along further between the river and the road.
when you get further south and the road climbs away from the river there a few tracks heading back down to the river most with good campsites near the water.
just be careful if wet as it gets very slippery coming back up to the road, quite steep in places.
AnswerID: 291622

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 17:12

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 17:12
I reckon the Barry Way is one of the most beautiful drives in Oz but, Peter, I must disagree with you about campsites. I am, regularly, very disappointed with the few campsites along it. The ones on the NSW side are, generally, some distance from the river and have those silly logs and fences to ensure the place you are required to camp in is pretty grotty.

The only one I'll stay at (if I must) along there is Willis - which is just over the border into Vic. It's a large site set up for groups and much too far from the river but it's the best of a bad bunch.

About time DSE and Parks NSW made some decent sites along this road.

Enjoy the drive, take plenty of time and plenty of photographs.

Mike Harding

PS. I haven't done the Barry Way in the wet but if that happens to you I advise _extreme_ caution.
AnswerID: 291626

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 17:28

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 17:28
We've camped at a few over the years, the ones well off the road down tracks to the river are usually the best as well as being away from the 2wd brigade.
As we usually are either towing the camper or using the shippshape we can camp pretty much anywhere and don't worry about the ground that much, but yes pretty poor camping for tents.
We are also usually just overnighting rather then extended stays.
FollowupID: 556962

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:05

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 19:05
We camped at Willis 2 weeks ago, but would have preferred to have camped at Suggan Buggan, looked much nicer on the way past the next morning.!! cheers unc
AnswerID: 291654

Reply By: Member - Davidp P (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:29
hi Oldbaz, 25 years ago a mate of mine and our boys (me+2 in P76 and he in XC falcon+1) camped right on the sad old Snowy (with its eels) within 10k Sth of Willis. We approached from the Sth side which was so rough BOTH batteries shorted out. Luckily a 4by gave me a jump start and I drove to Jindabyne to get 2 new ones. By the way, if you go there, dont miss seeing McKillips bridge East of Wulgulmerang. Fabulous country, we Vics take it for granted........siverback
AnswerID: 291679

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 12:44

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 12:44
Thanks gents, may cruise down to Suggan Buggan checking
things out as we go, can always backtrack to camp....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 291759

Sponsored Links