Query about in car computer

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:33
ThreadID: 55380 Views:1742 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am looking for information about the Porares in car computer.

The computer, that I'm looking at, is mounted in the radio din with pop out touch screen and distributed from Mordialloc in Victoria.

Could anyone who has one or has knowledge of them please advise me if they have the capacity to do all that is advertised i.e. DVD/CD, Rear view camera, TV am/fm radio, Bluetooth, GPS Hands free, on board engine diagnostics.

Thanks in advance
Kev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wrexed03 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:16

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:16
I just purchased one of these for my pajero. I havent picked it up as yet will be at the end of the week. At the end of they day the functions they advertise should be ok i dont see why not.
Would have been good if it had a quicker CPU but what can you do.
If you have a look at flea bay there is another supplier that does these as well. I scored mine for 587.00 inc delivery but i opted to pick up next weekend and pay the cash there and then.
Dont forget you will need a touch screen as well.

Also with the above options eg TV am/fm radio obd and the other features you will need add ons to make these all work.
Camera, USB radio, Bluetooth stick (possibly) GPS receiver plus software and obd diagnostic connector.

Regards
AnswerID: 291904

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:59

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:59
Interesting. Am monitoring these toys, as I'm thinking of one day doing the same.
Agree about the (slow) CPU. I note that the Car PC/Media Player version is a bit vague about the CPU. Probably an AMD, going by the cache. The DDR266 ram is a bit ancient.
But the other versions seem to have options of CPU and RAM on what you can fit, tho not stated what it comes with (says pentium or celeron - which?). Faster RAM, but still pretty old.
Should be fast enough on XP. Doubt if you'd get Vista to run tho, and one questions why this hardware is available now 12 months after the release of Vista.
Still, it looks like it will do the trick ok and I like the in-dash screen.
I ran an old 266 pentium lappy on Win98 for years coz it handled OziExplorer just fine - why change? Coz the thing died on me!
Would be interested to hear your experiences.
Did they give prices?
Gerry
FollowupID: 557275

Reply By: wrexed03 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 21:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 21:34
Whip me an email address and i will send you a price list that they sent me.

Regards
AnswerID: 292008

Follow Up By: Kev - Wynnum - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:22

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:22
Hi,
My E mail is kevinedward50@bigpond.com.

Thanks for the price list. Did you purchase a unit and if you did do you did does it work.

Kev
FollowupID: 557383

Follow Up By: Kev - Wynnum - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:30
Sorry Wrex should have read your message better. You get yours next week

Kev
FollowupID: 557386

Sponsored Links