wagon vs dual cab

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:26
ThreadID: 55388 Views:4506 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at replacing our existing wagon 4wd(challenger) with similar other. Currently considering a dual cab(rodeo). My concern is how the gear in the back will travel in the ute- as it will no longer be in air conditionig, and under a tarp. The engel has a travel bag so ? this be enough. I guess dust is another factor to consider. Anything else?? Ta.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:55

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:55
I've gone from having a GU Patrol wagon, to my GU Patrol dual cab. The issue of dust is addresses by the steel box I have on the back.....just about as dust-proof as I could hope for with rubber seals on both doors.

The box isn't air-conditioned of course, but the Engel still works okay and I don't bother with a insulated bag.

The big plus is the amount of extra room there is in the dual cab.
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 291889

Follow Up By: time waster - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:49

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:49
Is that what the government gave you when they let you out of there?
FollowupID: 557297

Reply By: A J - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:00

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:00
oz doc - have you considered a duel cab with a canopy on the back. At one stage we owned a duel cab which had a canopy designed so that it could be removed whenever you liked and it still looked like a normal ute ( that is they left the metal back window protection bars on the ute. The front of the canopy rested on an bar which was pop riveted across the front. It does get very hot under the cover on a very hot day. I have seen it get so hot that it melted the plastic on a finch fridge.

The best option we ever had was when I had a separate tabletop build for a duel cab, then own canopy with a solid back on it to stop dust from getting in. It had canvas sides and could be removed from the vehicle after a trip. The tabletop was removed and the ute back replaced. With the canvas sides it gave you better access to the back.

A J
AnswerID: 291890

Follow Up By: A J - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:53

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:53
oz Doc - "very hot under the cover " read "very hot under the black tonneau cover" - especially if the vehicle is left parked in the sun.

A J
FollowupID: 557245

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:22

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:22
By the sounds of things you are not intending to fit a canopy. If you have a canopy then conditions in it are not going to be much worse than the good old days when we did not have air conditioning.

Unless you are going for something with large fuel tanks like a Patrol or Cruiser then you are going to have to carry extra fuel some time. The ute is a better option then - you put the smell (fuel) in one capsule and you sit in the other capsule. That way you always sit in fresher air.

I had 2 Hilux utes in the early 90s. When I upgraded my van the Hilux was a little lacking in tow capacity so I purchased a Disco, (and subsequently another.) In my latest upgrade I am back to a ute (Navara.) I am very happy to be back to a ute. There is much more storage for things like chairs and tables, fuel and water.

The down side is it is longer than the wagons, longer wheelbase which gives a slightly larger turning circle. This with the bigger bulk than the Disco is making it harder to park in shopping centres. Would I go back to a wagon?? - NO

If you go for the new model Rodeo, you will get a 3,000kg tow capacity (that and the Navara are the only 3T tow capacity.) With a canopy ($2K) you will have far more space and weight capacity than any of the wagons (except for the Troopy) which is an advantage if you have rug rats. All the utes now have similar mechanicals to the wagons for the same manufacturer so you do not loose out there. I think they are all available in diesel and auto.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 291894

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:37

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:37
Forgot to add - the back compartment does not get any hotter than the cab when you leave the truck parked without the aircon running.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 557243

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:53

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:53
to reduce dust on the gear in the back take the tarp off
AnswerID: 291925

Reply By: oz doc - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:20

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:20
Thanks everyone- your feedback is very positive. We had a ute with canopy years ago(pre 4wdrive camping days) and found access to be a problem when dealing with large/heavy items. I like the sound of the easy to remove canopy you mentioned A J. This might be the best option. Going for a test drive tomorrow. If it drives ok and the kids can fit in the back - we might have a winner.Thanks all.
AnswerID: 291931

Sponsored Links